What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

Maybe, haven’t tried the hack in years.

1 Like

Can order “all day breakfast” after 11am, but hashbrowns aren’t available (on the app anyway). And yes, I do have the app on my iPhone :smiley:

2 Likes

And if you can get walnut mustard, you’ll never make a walnut vinaigrette without it :slight_smile:

https://www.fallot.com/en/nos-produits/

I’m craving some MCDs but maybe I’ll make a McCain Hash Brown Butty at home

3 Likes

Dooo ittt!

2 Likes

I consulted a few the first time (see below) but now I wing it by taste.

3 Likes

Swordfish is probably my favorite fish. We make a similar sauce but add kalamatas and cherry toms along with garlic to the capers and oilve oil. I have to look up Asian sweet potato - that’s new to me.

3 Likes

Jeez, I guess I never did post a pic of the embarrassingly ginormous salad I took to the event last night :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I ate ALL of it while my friends looked on with envy, but managed to smoothe things over by sharing my bottle of Grüner Veltliner with them :blush: I also timed it all just so that my PIC was able to swing by en route home and grab the cooler bag, so I could join the rest of the ladies at the bar for a couple martinis without any baggage.

As for WFD tonight, we’re still in the process of cleaning out our freezer and had thawed a nice tuna steak from our local fishmonger. The OG plan was to make poke, but it’s so damn nice out we’d rather grill stuff, and since I have 2 more zukes left (and feta, sumac, and parsley), dinner will be a redux of our recent swordfish meal, especially since @vinouspleasure ‘s post inspired me to make that fabulously zippy smashed caper sauce again. Such a great condiment for grilled fish.

If it’s not too windy, we might even have our first fire on the patio in eons :fire: :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

What kind of weather awaits you in Berlin??

After last night’s junk-food-fest, a big healthy salad was in order… Romaine/tomatoes/tuna/anchovies/Bulgarian feta(my favorite)/marinated Kalamata olives and pickled veg, dressed in a red wine/Dijon vinaigrette. My body will thanks me later :smiley:

21 Likes

My body always thanks me when I eat something fresh. That looks delicious.

4 Likes

Oh, your guess is as good as anyone’s. We’re there a couple of months earlier this year (last year our departure was delayed by my cancer diagnosis & subsequent radiation treatment), so we’re hopeful it won’t be hot as ballz, which our first weeks there were :hot_face:

It can be hot, cold, sunny, rainy… often all in one day :wink:

4 Likes

Last night I was cooking for today’s teacher lunch (vegan and GF black bean soup), so dinner was quick:

Prepared pork “burnt ends” in ww buns with cole slaw (bagged, homemade dressing) and leftover mac and mushy peas.

Tonight I made Adé Carrena’s Azin Nsonou (Beninese peanut chicken stew with okra) and bay leaf-infused steamed fonio. Side of sugar snaps with brown butter and thyme. Hit the spot. The kiddo tried his best to like it but ended up eating PB and banana on naan. :woman_shrugging:t2:

19 Likes

We never had any kids, and haven’t had to pay attention to their culinary likes/dislikes but I remember when my 5 year old nephew came to visit us with grandparents I stocked the cabinet with peanut butter, jelly and Kraft Mac & cheese. That little bugger ate shrimp cocktail, vegetables from our garden, Szechuan, Portuguese - whatever we threw at him. He’s my brother’s son!

On the other side of the family, the only nephew was brainwashed by his controlling mother. We joked the poor kid only liked beige food. He stayed with us for a long summer when his parents were divorcing and he was going on 17. I cooked some chicken thighs - he didn’t know what to do with them and told us his mom always cut the chicken off of the bones. Another night, I had bought some steaks to grill, and he had to call his mom to find out if it was cut of steak he liked. The easiest thing I did was set up a baked potato/salad/or taco bar and let him do his own thing.

He’s a stay at home dad to two sweet daughters now, and his wife is a NICU Rn.

13 Likes

That’s awesome! Mine surprises me, sometimes. Recently he helped himself to some crispy shrimp (his was chicken) and liked it. He has been running low on frustration tolerance today (mega meltdown), so this was a battle I chose not to have tonight.

6 Likes

It must be hard to juggle wanting to get nutrition in there and develop his palate. I grew up in the mid-50’s on a farm in Ohio and ultimately acquired 5 siblings. Talk about farm to table. That’s how we ate. I only ventured out to pizza when I escaped to go to college.

5 Likes

Always amazed by the scope of your culinary adventures!

That’s really all you can hope for, and good on him for trying!

This is such a nice thing to do!

4 Likes

Pan fried noodles with haddock and mixed vegetables, adapted from The Woks of Life. Some homemade chile oil over the top!

24 Likes

That’s funny and nice of you to say. What’s also kind of hilarious is I don’t make a ton of repeats, but this dish is one of them :joy:

2 Likes

I could eat that for dinner for the rest of my life if someone made it for me…

3 Likes