What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

Perfect way to use up the alioli! (Now I want chicken salad with alioli.)

4 Likes

No, not always. Just now and then.

1 Like

Thank You!! I have one piece left and will be serving that to Neighbor #2 for lunch.
I asked her if she would like it re-heated for lunch today. An overwhelming “YES!!” was her answer, as she told me how much she had enjoyed it for dinner.

As a side note, I’m getting better and better at making the crust. I guess there is a learning curve when it comes to making pie crusts.

9 Likes

I havent seen green Cholula, is it a new one?

I think its been around for awhile, its a bit less spicy than the original.

1 Like

Did a Wegmans trip for one of my clients (the CA kid whose standard reply to pretty much every txt of mine is “awesome” :rofl:) in ratty weather, which is unfortunately supposed to stick around for a while.

My PIC was a busy bee in the kitchen this AM – preparing BISO chicken thighs & that addictive Peruvian green sauce I could drown in

for tonight’s meal: a Sino-Peruvian mashup if you will, as I was really craving the gai lan I picked up a few days ago. I topped it with a bunch of sliced shiitake I braised earlier and added a splash of oyster sauce on top. Mexicoke on the side to balance out the amount of salt consumed :smiley:

18 Likes

A joint-cooking effort tonight. DH made a Greek-ish leg of lamb, grilled rotisserie-style on the Weber gas grill. I made pita, raita, hummous, a Mediterrenean chopped salad, and marinated olives and feta. Delicious – every bit.

24 Likes

From a Facebook reel (maybe taken from Tiktok?), made myself warmed tofu with a chili garlic soy sauce. Sauce was really tasty, though i added Thai bird chilies instead of red pepper flakes. Roasted broccoli on the side, with evoo, salt, crispy garlic and minced dried onion, and bourborn smoked paprika, under the broiler for 15 mins. Fantastic, almost better than the tofu. I never thought to put smoked paprika on broccoli, what a fool I’ve been!

BF’s dinner of macaroni with meat sauce and sauteed zucchini on top.

19 Likes

DIY hot pot for one with sichuan peppercorn chicken soupbase. I.e. Cleaning out the fridge.

20 Likes

I have never thought to do a personal hot pot — great idea, thanks!

1 Like

Serious Eats Pan roasted chicken breast with lemon and thyme.

Mine is the one with the remote control toothpick, husband is sans toothpick, cooked to 160f. :grimacing:

19 Likes

Fusili with pesto

24 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was masoor dal. It was my first time making it and it won’t be my last…

20 Likes

I happened to have many items with very small quantities left in the fridge. So into the pot they went since I had no idea what to do with them individually.

2 Likes

Roasted Lamb Leg

20 Likes

Looks great! What are the green bits?

That is the Herb/Salt/Garlic Marinate.
It was cooked Sous-vide and then blast browned in Oven.

1 Like

Non stop rain all day here, had some pork tenderloin in the freezer and luckily I did my grocery shopping yesterday. Made some pork and orzo stew which should last me a couple of days.

19 Likes

Filthy weather since yesterday. Comfort food needed so there’s tartiflette for dinner with a side of watercress salad. If reblochon wasn’t so egregiously expensive I’d have this much more often. La Vieille Ferme wine because, let’s face it, tartiflette can be a bit whiffy, much like a vieille ferme (old farm). Strawberries and cream for dessert.

18 Likes

Looks like a bunch of us are dealing with crappy weather. Another cold day with rain and not much light. Drove my elderly neighbor to her massage appointment & picked her up afterwards, and went to the supermarket in the meantime to get more kale, sausages, beans & potatoes for the Tuscan-ish soup I had originally planned to make for just the two of us…. but our cat-sitter & her husband are always happy about a home-cooked meal that’s easy for him to heat up when she’s staying at other people’s homes, sometimes for several days at a time.

Soup’s so easy to ramp up, anyway. I fried up 4 hot & 3 mild Italian sausages in a lil anchovy oil and the last of the nduja :sob: melted down into spicy pork fatty goodness until nicely browned, removed them, sautéed one chopped medium onion & the last squeeze from a tube of tomato paste, added a generous shower of fennel seeds & Aleppo pepper, as well as crushed garlic.

Deglazed the pot with some not-great-but-ok-to-cook-with local Cabernet I was gifted at a gig recently, then added a bunch of hot water that was then flavored with BTB roasted garlic & chicken. Put in the chopped-up kale till it shrunk down, added a bunch of baby yellow taters & cooked those to tender, added the sausage & the white beans, stirred it all around. A squeeze of lemon juice & a very generous splash of heavy cream to gild the lily. I added some of TJ’s smoky & spicy chili mix as well.

A nice, warm yer bones kinda meal I was looking forward to all afternoon.

PS: Scheduled for yet another root canal a week before we leave for Berlin. Since I blew through my entire dental insurance budget for the year already, Ima hold off until we are in Germany. Push comes to shove I’ll have it done there for a fraction of the price – bc F that BS.

18 Likes