What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Oh, fer sure. 25 years this year since we first met, and not one single regret - did I mention he serves me coffee in bed every morning? Both cups?

Yeah, he’s a keeper. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

This looks really great! I’ll have to save that recipe, since I love shrimp and feta, orzo and fennel seed. It’s like that dish was made with me in mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love that Knorr hollandaise. I sometimes turn it into faux béarnaise, too. Such a quick fix, and so satisfying.

1 Like

Beautiful foods, and how nice to see your friend again!

1 Like

Hosin(tương ăn phở) and Sriracha are unusual Sauces to use with Bún.
Did you also have Nước Chấm/ Prepared Fish Sauce for them?

Ladies night on a rare Tuesday. One member of our posse who moved to Philly a while back was going to be in town very briefly – just for an overnight, but her plans changed. We had a goodly number of beshes RSVP, so it went down anyway.

The menu this week is on the smaller side for some reason, and I was hoping to get the duck meatballs or the fried sanddab filet as my cocktail pairing.

I told the bar dude to hold off on ordering the meatballs while my friend and I went outside to smoke, and when we came back, the last order of meatballs had been given to someone else. Another good example of why smoking is bad for you, mmmkay? :roll_eyes:

Got the sand dab filet instead, which came with a lovely spicy remoulade sauce. Hoping to get those damn meatballs when we hit the bar again on Friday before catching The Big Lebowski at the theatre.

‘twas nice catching up with my gals.

17 Likes

Und keine Brezel?!
Do not blame there actually, every “Bavarian” Pretzel I have had in the US has been disappointing at best.
Taken to making them myself instead.

1 Like

I am a terrible, terrible German and should probz give up my passport :wink: as I don’t care for pretzels at all (tho my PIC is a big fan), and don’t lose my ish over sausages, either.

Aber nicht weitersagen, bitte :joy:

“Some Schweinshaxe Perhaps?”

:sweat_smile:
I know also Bavarian, may be you are not.

5 Likes

Rhineland gal all the way! But who in their right mind could say no to a crispy, crackly hax’n with kraut and mash? Not I.

2 Likes

We took mom out for her first non-medical outing in a year today, for a birthday lunch. It was nice, but bittersweet as we returned to the location of the last outing we had with my dad.

It was an easy and pleasant afternoon, nothing fancy, just familiar and comfortable, but even though it was a short excursion, she was emotionally and physically exhausted. But, hurdle overcome, and into a new year for real.

In anticipation of this, I cooked dinner in the morning, under her direction for one of her signature dishes (and our family favorites) — Mutton Korma. Mom fixed several deficits by smell and description :joy::rofl: — not enough yogurt, need to brown the meat some more, don’t add potatoes yet, not enough of the dried spices. Yep, that’s my momma.

We ate it with soft bread rolls (pav / pao), rice, and cut salad veg.

Mom had the fresh pao with butter and assorted cheese (edam, chiave d’oro, and Jewish string) plus clear vegetable soup.

More birthday cake for dessert.

22 Likes

I should really try this. Maybe soon.

2 Likes

Thank you for your compliment as well as the info on the trend of putting hot honey on pizza. I’ve not lived in the US since 2009 and though I try to follow the trends there, that one seems to have missed me. I don’t dislike the combination of sweet and savory/spicy, but don’t want anything sweet on pizza.

2 Likes

Thank you…it was, in every way, a beautiful meal❣️

1 Like

Dinner tonight will be some of this here baked garlic chicken and potatoes with green beans. I totally derped and forgot to put the beans UNDERNEATH the chicken and couldn’t be arsed to fiddle with it, so they look a bit dry-ish. Taste was spot on though and there’s enough for at least 1 more hearty meal.

25 Likes

Yes. That got poured over the noodles. We just like the combination of hoisin and sriracha with the meat elements of the salad.

1 Like

That looks delish - the taters in particular. Just think of the beans as “dry-fried” and 's all good :wink:

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

It’s been raining cats & dogs today, and I’d probably would’ve made a killing… if I could work longer than 20 min :roll_eyes:

On the brighter side, this week’s filled up rather quickly with various social obligations (how we suffer!). As for tonight, we’re meeting our HK friend and his partner & our Scottish bud we’ve not seen in a while at a local favorite. The chef is married to a fellow singer and has promised to send out some extra treats from the kitchen – but even if that weren’t the case, I’ll be happy as a clam to finally try his elk steak, the pictures of which have been haunting my day dreams.

4 Likes

A ridiculous mish mosh of roasted brussels sprouts, squid, tomatoes, Japanese smoked saury and a hard-boiled egg over rice, with furikake. It would’ve been pretty good, but the tomatoes kinda wrecked it. Anyway, fridge is mostly empty now!

16 Likes