What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

It’s been years since I’ve had a baked potato with the works, so scratching that itch tonight.

Boneless Wagyu ribeye - cooked indoors. Baked russets with butter, sour cream, shrooms, bacon bits, and scallions.

So. Darn. Good.

23 Likes

It holds up very well - I’m convinced it will never perish. Unless you eat it by the bucket full like I do :grinning:

2 Likes

Maryland crab cakes with aioli, parsley garlic fries, Carolina slaw. A gin Caesar.

24 Likes

He was really a pioneer. I also get the impression he’s just a good guy at heart.

I miss those PBS days…

4 Likes

I feel your pain, and recognize your painkiller!

1 Like

Made fish taco bowls on a plate. One of my favorite quick no fuss recipes, I highly recommend it.

20 Likes

Tonight, I inadvertently forgot to confirm plans in time to meet a friend for dinner, so into the kitchen for me. Needed something simple and homey after last night’s overindulgence, so I made masoor dal (with cauliflower stems cooked into it for more flavor), beets from COTM Ethiopia, fish, rice, and roasted papad.

The fish was frozen barramundi which said it had lemon pepper seasoning. Well, that seasoning was more of an awful, goopy sauce, so I scraped it off and replaced it with green chilli and mustard pickle.

The beets were better than I thought for very simple ingredients, which should not have been a surprise given that Ethiopian food is so much more flavorful than the scant seasonings for some dishes might suggest. It comes together on the plate.

Meal hit the spot better than I had expected, and I ate too much (thought it was two meals worth, but there’s just a bit of dal and beets left, which is fine, I’ll supplement tomorrow).

Also (finally) started a cure on 3 lbs of salmon for beet-cured salmon for various recipients.

Last night, I had planned on sous vide soy sauce chicken with snow pea salad and rice. Why sous vide for a classic chinese poached dish? Because I needed to use a chicken breast, and I thought the texture to flavor balance might work better as sv (it did not).

Well, then, a friend called and we decided on an impromptu drink and early bite. Chicken went into the water bath as I left home.

We met at my favorite nearby turkish spot, and started with a glass of Prosecco. The bartender topped us up when I wasn’t looking, then we ordered another glass, after which she topped us up again. As we were finishing up, friend’s husband (also friend :joy:) joined us, and got a drink because we weren’t done. But then we had to get another to keep him company, and then he got another because we are much slower than he is… and so, a Tuesday “early drink” turned into “we should probably drop you the 4 blocks home so you don’t have to walk…?” (I walked.)

Food was delicious, as always — zucchini fritters with a delightfully crisp kataifi coating, fresh falafel (as in fresh beans, not dried), thin and crisp lahmacun, creamy fava bean toasts topped with a tangy arugula salad, and pretty perfect pistachio baklava.

We did eat very early, so when I came home I ate the (not great) soy sauce chicken anyway :joy:

18 Likes

I know some of your pain, mine went up about 50% over the last two years… no claims and I always pay early. I don’t understand, either.

Have you looked into AARP?? They have saved me “some” money on insurance.

4 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas. Nothing real exciting, just a nice hot meal.

26 Likes

Doesn’t need to be exciting, sounds delicious to me!

(Though meatlof is exciting around here — I forget how much I like it, and so never make it without this kind of reminder).

3 Likes

The proverbial shit ton of scallion sour cream and butter.

2 Likes

Twinning! Tho your steak looks miles better than mine.

1 Like

Mr Bean always says that he finds it very difficult to treat patients with chronic pain because there are so many variables to take into account. It sounds like despite everything you have a positive attitude which is certainly a factor in your recovery.

4 Likes

We have a saying in my home country: “Humor ist, wenn man trotzdem lacht.”

My survival strategy in life has always been to laugh shit off. Folks who take themselves too seriously tend to be wound up rather tight, and rarely if ever have a good sense of humor.

But yeah, nobody ever wants to be that mysterious case nobody can figure out. Although I do feel mighty special for it :wink:

8 Likes

No major explanation, really. I’ve had my bunny avatar (a crocheted piece of art my bestie made for me many moons ago) since the Chowhound days, I believe, and I just got bored with it.

I have a myriad of fun food & other photos to play around with - why limit myself? #YOLO :laughing:

3 Likes

“Man muss die Dinge nehmen, wie sie kommen.”
Good on Ya!

3 Likes

Die Dinge kommen ja sowieso, ob man will oder nicht :wink:

2 Likes

Potato-leek-codfish soup. It tastes better than it looks

20 Likes

Exactly!

I’d say it looks pretty good. :yum:

8 Likes