What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

I made the elaborate red-wine sauced short ribs from serious eats.

I loved them, but I think mom was mostly uninterested. These have an entire bottle of red and an entire bottle of port in the sauce, so that’s pretty expensive disinterest!

26 Likes

Braised chicken thighs in butter, chicken stock, cream with mushrooms and shallots, served with mashed potatoes, garnished with fresh parsley. (we eat a fair amount of chicken).

20 Likes

Lamb and apricot tagine, roasted parsnips with butter - nutmeg- ginger, cabbage - kale kuku sabzi, angel hair.

9 Likes

Roasted sole that I rubbed with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, paprika and LOTS of garlic, with broccoli rabe and smashed potatoes.

24 Likes

I have wanted to make those because I have a bunch of red wine, but getting short ribs (or any regular, consistent cut of beef) requires a trip to a city.

1 Like

NYT brothy Thai green curry with wild-caught cod, extra bird peppers, ginger, shallots and garlic, silken tofu & peas bc my PIC loves them. Served over rice. Spicy AF - just the way we like it :hot_face:

It’s one of my favorite recipes to make*, and while I haven’t perfected it per se, I could easily add it to this thread here ICYMI – I thought especially our avid home cooks would want to share their perfect dishes with the rest of us :slightly_smiling_face:

*I’m not sure I’ll continue to include the silken tofu, however. I find it adds next to nothing to the finished product. Maybe extra veg instead.

23 Likes

Whoa @vinouspleasure that looks amazing! Finding it hard to believe as a first try :face_with_monocle: :joy:

I played with an almost entirely mixed dal batter for both idli and dosa when someone decided my nephews were low carb for a hot minute. It still worked remarkably well, which is not surprising given moong dal pooda, pesarattu, and the rest.

Since I started reading about resistant starch in parboiled rice, complete amino acid profile from combinations of rice + dal (ie the quintessential dal-chaval) and so on, I’ve stopped messing with the traditional ratios.

Something old (well, two weeks ago pizza out of the freezer). Something new, canned baby clam sauce. Butter and olive oil, garlic, clam juice, dry vermouth, thicken lwith a bit of flour so it coats the angel hair pasta. And a little antipasto salad.

19 Likes

My turn for Pinchos Morunos. I used the Milk Street recipe with dry rub, as shared by many on this thread. Served with scallion couscous and carrot salad. Excellent.

25 Likes

PSA that the Indian store has fully made frozen mini masala dosas (TJs even carried these for a while), coconut chutney (frozen individual packs or refrigerated larger container where the batter is kept), and frozen sambhar.

If you want to make your own, though, I recommend starting with uttapam not dosa. “Setting” your hand for dosa takes both practice and a few tricks. Uttapam is slightly thicker and like making a pancake (plus you can top it with things).

I use a carbon steel crepe pan or cast iron griddle, but a cast iron fry pan is fine especially for uttapam. (FYI many indian cooks have a dedicated dosa pan because it can be so finicky.)

Sambhar is actually the easiest of the accompaniments once you have the spice mix, because it’s just dal cooked with optional assorted veg.

3 Likes

Last Saturday I met up with a friend for an Indian food cook off. We nade fish curry, vegetable stew, spinach and paneer, and chicken tikka. I ended up going hoping with tons of leftovers. Last night’s fish curry was one of the leftovers. Tonight I had the vegetable stew garnished with raisins and cashews with rice on the side.

18 Likes

Sounds like a fun time! I like cooking with other people, as long as your kitchen methods are relatively aligned :joy:

That salad reminds me of the one my favorite old school Italian restaurant in San Francisco used to serve.

2 Likes

Nothing borrowed, nothing blue? :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t know why I stopped making couscous at some point, but I think quinoa is to blame :joy:

(Every time I see the pinchos morunos recipe reappear here, I think maybe I should start watching Milk Street again for ideas, because it came from the actual TV show in its very first season — Jose Andres making his mother’s Sopa de Ajo sucked me in :joy:.)

4 Likes

We had friends over for dinner that was rescheduled from Saturday because Strep hit their household. We had snacks to start – Sichuan peanuts, shrimp chips, wasabi almonds, and sweet crispy mochi (?) crackers with barley malt syrup; sugar snap peas and baby peppers with (bottled) toasted sesame dip, then pork egg rolls with duck sauce… Champagne ($20, Sam’s Club, really decent.)

Main of Taiwanese lu ru fan (braised pork belly with HB eggs) over short-grain sticky rice, Cantonese blanched yu choi with ginger, garlic, and scallion flashed with hot oil and drizzled with diluted soy sauce, miso-sesame smacked cucumbers, purchased steamed pork-chive dumplings, and Hunan green beans stir-fried with chili, garlic, and fermented black bean sauce from Fuchsia Dunlop. Friends brought wine and oatmeal chocolate chip-cherry cookies. Yummmz. It was quiet at the table, which worried me at first, but turned out to be a sign of enjoyment. :sweat_smile:

One of their kids was upset about there not being enough food on offer that he liked (despite parental planning ahead), at which point I offered leftover mac and cheese and cereal and left it to him to solve. :woman_shrugging:t2: Different strokes.

33 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Mini-Christmas. Leftover Christmas Ham (from freezer) cornbread stuffing, brown sugar & butter sweet potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce and gravy. Sunshine is full and happy!!

24 Likes

BF made gochujang tofu again - but this time, just a bit too sweet - recipe calls for maple syrup AND sugar - and i forgot to tell him to cut out the sugar. Tasty, though, with pickled daikon on top. It was quite a large serving, so half is my bfast tomorrow. And for him, a meatball and potato soup.

23 Likes

Plates look amazing! I love lu rou fan! All the greens look so beautiful and vibrant!

3 Likes