What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Wow :heart_eyes: That was some mouth watering spread!

1 Like

He is incredible. I wouldn’t be able to make more than even 2 or 3 dishes like that (for a party of roughly 30 peeps!), and I’d be losing my ish attempting it for sure.

We are truly lucky :blush:

3 Likes

I found a sealed pack of dried lasagne pasta sheets a friend left behind when she moved away from the UK - the best before date was 2019 but they looked OK. So I made a sort of store-cupboard vegetarian lasagne from it. Made a tomato sauce with 2 small cartons of passata (garlic, salt , pepper, dried oregano) and a spinach ricotta mix (onions, nutmeg, lemon zest) with a large can of spinach puree. And used whatever cheese I could find in my fridge (mozzarella, cheddar, goats cheese). I’ve only made lasagne once before in my life. I must have overfilled the baking tray as the whole thing sort of rose up and the edges of the top layer of pasta sheets got burnt. It tasted OK. And I’m still alive after eating pasta that was meant to have been eaten 5 years ago.

23 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s a usual thing (the rising up…maybe because the pasta swells as it absorbs liquid from the ricotta and sauce?). And I kinda like the crunchy bits sometimes! The lasagna looks great!

6 Likes

Beer and wine are available everywhere but hard liquor is state controlled, which is why I shop across the border in California. It’s the number of stores in the area I live in that is the problem.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I think someone posted about a NYT recipe for Thai Inspired Chicken Meatball Soup (which I can’t now find) and thought it to be very good. Since I had everything needed - except the ground chicken - I used the recipe as the basis for a Thai Inspired Shrimp Soup. Ginger, garlic, cilantro, jalepeno, are finely minced together and moistened with fish sauce. I slathered the shrimp with the mixture and let them sit for a few minutes. For the soup base I happened to have a container of “Asian Fish Stock” that had been in freezer so long I couldn’t remember what made it Asian. A can of coconut milk, the stock and a squeeze of lime went into a pot. I threw in a bag of spinach and then the shrimp and all the cilantro mixture until just cooked through. Served with a purple cabbage slaw with a Thai-ish vinaigrette.

This was very easy to make and I can envision other variations. Maybe with less broth as served over rice noodles. Next time I would add some minced lemongrass.

20 Likes

Unseasonably warm this weekend, so DH cleaned off the grill and got the charcoal going for
pre-Superbowl strip steaks with rice pilaf, tomato salad and mocktail G&Ts.
Friends joined us and we watched Puppy Bowl, which did not include cutaways to famous singers.
Fun afternoon but the news is reporting we are in the 8-12" belt for Tuesday’s snow storm. sigh
Thankfully he did a batch of meatballs and sauce earlier for the week.

Enjoy the game! :football:

17 Likes

I made ramen and instead of putting wonton in (ramen with wonton in it is fairly common in Japan), I put shumai in because that’s what I had and just because….

I also put in various cut vegetables, chicken and fried fish cake with chopped onions inside of it.

21 Likes

I made a batch of moro beans from Rancho Gordo. They braised with smoked turkey legs, chipotle and serrano chiles, Mrs. Dash onion and herb seasoning, and some bay leaves. I added some rainbow chard near the end of cooking. We had this with Carolina Gold rice. Looking forward to the leftovers later this week!

26 Likes

That might have been me. It’s on the agenda to make soon. We’ve been rather lucky with the NYT recipes lately :slight_smile:

1 Like

My Super Bowl menu was Lemon-Pepper Wings (needed some heat), Chef Eric Ripert’s Baby Potato Salad (I added bacon), and Broccoli-Cashew Salad (with MOAR BACON) (but with WAY LESS mayo dressing).

Wine. Second pic is pre-“glaze”.

Recipes:

23 Likes

If you are a fan of chicken wings then you will LOVE this Thai ’ Tom Yum Fried Chicken Wings ’ I had yesterday!
Ultra crispy/crunchy exterior and juicy moist inside. The seasoning was exotically savory and couped

with their secret dipping salt was a match in heaven…and on earth!!

14 Likes

Those look incredible! :drooling_face:

I adore lemon pepper seasoning for wings. Our local wingsover outfit does them really well. Yours looks skrompshissly krispy! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Nacho nacho man! Chilli cheese nachos for SB dinner May the best team win and I hope they all have fun 🤩 Go team !!!

20 Likes

We’re not really watching the #stupidbowl… well, someone is :roll_eyes:.

An abundance of ripe avocados prompted me to try the NYT recipe for guac (I never thought to use any recipe for guac, ever, TBH :joy:).

I added lime juice bc duh, the perfect number of bird peppers, and a generous dash of cumin. I think the recipe is more about technique than ingredients, since everyone has their own preferences - adding this n that, omitting other stuff. I added more cilantro than called for cuz I happen to love it :heart_eyes:

Really dig the textures this recipe created, and we finished 2/3 of the bowl already :scream: Not sure there’s gonna be a lot of room for the leftover pizza we’d planned on. Oops.

15 Likes

Tried to turn off my pizza brain but it’s hard to stomach an investment in a good pizza oven turning out bad pizza: too much flour on bottom, tasteless cheese, cooked sauce and cheap pepperoni. The jerk wings were good!

19 Likes

Leftover chicken and orzo. I added baby garden peas from the freezer, and warmed up everything in the microwave. Dinner in 3 minutes.

18 Likes

That is indeed a travesty!