What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Sockeye salmon with a glaze of char siu sauce and spicy sweet chili sauce on a bed of sauteed spinach with toasted Mediterranean pine nuts

It was OK. The salmon was surprisingly lacking in salmony flavor. But it filled the belly, and wasn’t leftovers.

24 Likes

New week, new dish! It was my PIC’s turn to cook today, and he’d already had chicken on his brainz: a couple of meatball recipes in our recipe box were contenders, but when the NYT cooking newsletter arrived this morning with an enticing picture of mouthwatering, bronze pieces of crispy Peruvian chicken with that scrumptious green sauce, the dice were cast :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

We had to run around town a bit to find the aji Amarillo (Wegmans, our final stop, had it), but no dice on the aji panca. We also used bird peppers in lieu of jalapeños for more heat. My contribution was the uszh, a salad.

The roasting chicken soon started scenting casa lingua with its tantalizing aromas, and it came out so well - i.e. crispy golden skin & juicy meat - that I’ve added it to my favorites folder: another keeper :smiling_face:

Pretty sure I’ve made Peruvian chicken (and the sauce) before, but I can’t remember which recipe it was.

This one has you add a little feta to the sauce, which I highly doubt is traditional, but it didn’t hurt.

Leftovers I’m actually looking forward to :smile:

24 Likes

I should’ve said it in my writeup. Once the meat and the shallots and herbs and dressing were mixed, I threw in some shredded romaine to bulk it up and provide some veg. The lettuce wasn’t warmed.

1 Like

I made Slow-Cooker Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Gnocchi with Delicata Squash & Spinach from EatingWell. My concerns about long-cooked gnocchi going gluey weren’t unfounded. I subbed frozen cubed butternut for the Delicata, garden chard for most of the spinach, and added a Parm Regg rind. Not bad but unless flavors really develop overnight, probably not a repeat. I mostly made the recipe because I could pick up all the ingredients curbside and it could cook on low while we were otherwise engaged tonight.

Having the last (generous) glass of last night’s enjoyable red now.

My first grader gave public comment tonight at the Asheville school board meeting, and I’m so proud of our little activist.:heart:

25 Likes

More fridge and freezer cleanout. The last of the homemade potstickers. Chicken-zucchini meatballs. Dipping sauce. Steamed rice. Coleslaw.

21 Likes

Last night’s dinner was weather-appropriate spicy pork ramen (plus a pork bun, how could I resist) over catching up with a college friend and spouse whom I last saw exactly this time last year (and had missed all the happenings of the past year while she herself moved countries and changed jobs and more).

Tonight, I finally got to COTM Ethiopia, which had been thwarted thus far by lack. of ingredients combined with lack of motivation for a grocery store visit, and batter that wouldn’t ferment.

I made a simple lamb stew (yebeg alitcha), a chickpea flour “salad” which is really more of a paste (buticha), and faux-injera crepes, and added some leftover sauteed spinach for a vegetable component.

Very pleased with everything except the crepes – my own fault for a bad batter, so I will start from scratch.

19 Likes

Portuguese seafood stew with extra vegetables, because I had them. Namely carrots, celery and kale and parsley from my balcony (aka the climate change farm).

22 Likes

:+1:

Well, I had a bag of potatoes (about to go bad), 1 chicken breast, a can of white nacho cheese sauce and a can of peas. Hmmm… what to do?? I know!! I’ll make soup.

I present to you tonight’s dinner – Potato Chicken Cheese Pea soup. Sunshine really enjoyed this concoction. So I guess it was a success??

19 Likes

This happens to me right around the same time I get tired of my sweaters… Should be any day now…!

3 Likes

I love salmon and lentils. This was just me trying a different recipe than my go-to recipe for this dish.

18 Likes

Fresca garlic-herb chicken sausages with fried peppers and onions. Quick and easy after a Rangers win.

A dram of Bourbon with.

24 Likes

Fresca? Really? Is this like a coca cola marinade? How vintage :slight_smile:

Junkfish soup with tomato, white beans, and Spanish EVOO. “Junkfish” is my term for the $3.99/lb white fish trim that the local fishmonger sells (Tokyo Fish in Berkeley). I have no idea what the actual fish is.

17 Likes

HahaHAH!

• Would you like a little salad with your bacon, Sirs or Mesdames?
3 Likes

small but mighty!

what a great idea, i’m going to have to hit up Tokyo Fish for some of that too…

2 Likes

They have salmon trim at $9/lb, and sometimes halibut trim at $13 and catfish trim at $7. Also “grilling cubes”, which I guess are tuna, sea bass, other firm fish.

3 Likes

I think a little bacon might have improved it.

4 Likes

Dinner last night was a combo of good news / bad news / gooder news.

Good news: Oldest daughter and SIL (with our new Grandson!) are planning to move close to here. SIL has been doing phone interviews with several local firms. He was here yesterday for final, in-person interviews. D1 is still on maternity leave and probably won’t start looking for work here for another month.

Bad news: I was chauffeur and after the last one we dined at a highly rated (4.7 stars, 2000+ Google reviews) Cuban place. I ordered picadillo, one of my home-cook favorites. I know it varies considerably across and even within countries… but what I got was a watery, somewhat tomato flavored ground beef. No evidence of green peppers, onion, garlic, olives, capers, raisins, cumin, oregano. Zip. The “Cuban black beans” were just canned beans, no other flavors. Not planning to go back…

Gooder News: Each of the 3 firms indicated by the end of the day (before we’d finished dinner) that they were putting an offer together for him. News worth suffering mediocre food.

20 Likes