What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Tuna melt on a sourdough-spiked French bread. Coleslaw. Potato chips.

21 Likes

My three rainless days with sporatic sunshine are over, big time. Zuppa Toscana with potato gnocchi. Spinach salad, roasted beet, yellow pepper, green onion, blue cheese, sunflower seed and balsamic, maple dressing. Gibson rocks and wine.

18 Likes

The last of the gnocchi with the last of the sage butter, plus shrimp, capers and celery leaves.

19 Likes

This is my first ever dungeness crab! I’ve not eaten it before, and certainly never bought it to prep at home before. But, I’ve been reading about it on this forum for several years, and people have been psyched about it, and I also feel like my personal favorite king crab is generally prohibitively expensive. So when we were shopping over the weekend and saw it, we took the plunge!

I ad-hocked a pasta recipe using the flavors of a crab cake for inspiration. I sauteed celery, red pepper, shallot, and garlic and a bit of old bay seasoning in a fair bit of butter. Then added lemon juice, white wine, simmered it off. Half and half, throw in the crab, throw in some angel hair. It was pretty tasty imo, although H said he preferred to pick and eat, and my son said he found it meh and that he’d leave the rest to the people that like it better. Ah well. Can’t win em all.

24 Likes

Looks perfect - the pasta in particular :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Angel hair is a great choice for crab. Reminds me of crab bee-hoon, which has thin rice noodles infused with sweet crab juices.

4 Likes

Well that’s a thoughtful kid! I would gladly have taken his portion!

I liked angel hair with this yesterday too, though it was mostly happenstance because it was the open package of pasta right in front of me from the night before :joy:

How did you like the Dungeness itself? It was my first time buying it too (though I must have eaten it outside before sometime somewhere, I’m guessing).

I’m thinking also of an Asian vermicelli and crab dish, but having trouble putting my finger on it at the moment.

1 Like

What is sourdough-spiked

Sure, it was my first time making it as well. I mostly followed this recipe but fried the egg:

5 Likes

Likely regular yeast-raised bread with a bit of sourdough starter added. Funny enough I did just that last night.

2 Likes

Bread which uses sourdough as a flavoring element, but not as a leavening agent.

Here a standard French bread formula with some of the flour and water reduced and substituted with (inactive) sourdough starter.

Old dough is flavorful dough. :yum:

4 Likes

Couple of nights ago, Thai leftovers for B (pad Thai which I ordered for Spring Onion, and it thought it was meh…it was too sweet and kua kling (similar to larb/laab/laahb) served on lemon-marinated kale salad/grape tomatoes/red onion). I had leftover never-ending crab soup accompanied by delicious local multigrain sunflower seed sourdough bread.

TV dinner for Spring Onion, which he enjoyed (except for the veggies). I’m glad I kept some of his baby dinnerware—sometimes comes in handy!

IMG_5681

IMG_5674

IMG_5682

14 Likes

We got Chinese-American delivered last night. Way too much delivery lately, but I have zero energy. There is a cryo vacc’d package of Arctic Char in the fridge though that I need to use tonight. I have about 3 different ideas, ranging from fish cakes/burgers, to tacos, to chowder. I just need to actually execute a plan when I get home. Ugh.

10 Likes

I love that you made a special tv dinner for spring O and kept that tray. I still have my dad’s kid silverware (actual silver cuz his parents were fancy, apparently), although I never use it - it’s mostly just a nice memento.

3 Likes

There ain’t no shame in takeout. We’ve all had our slumps and dips. And sometimes it’s just nice not to have to cook :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Sprout was never a big sandwich eater so we often used a bento box for school lunches. She was way ahead of the current obsession with charcuterie boards. I still had it and she asked for it to make lunches for work. She’s 27 now (YIKES!!!).

4 Likes

He is a very thoughtful kid, but in this case, he was being more diplomatic I think. It was a way for him to get out of eating more than a quite small portion, because he wasn’t digging it. But that’s ok. Leftovers for lunches!

I did like the crab. Slightly less so than king crab, but one can’t always eat like Midas. I found the picking part to be kind of fun too - rewarding when you could pull out a big chunk. It was the perfect way to keep busy while a continuing legal ed webinar was playing in my ears in the background!

4 Likes

That’s the same recipe I used, although I left out the oyster sauce since I didn’t have any.

Cooked Ethiopian for last Night’s Dinner

Ye’abesha Gomen (Collard Greens)
Shiro Wat (Spiced Ground Chickpea) top
Y’Misar Wot (Spiced Red Lentils)
Injera (Fermented Flat Bread)

22 Likes