What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Uneventful day with more ‘snacking’ on ibuprofen (root canal is currently scheduled for … Mardi Gras, unless I can get in sooner :crossed_fingers:t3: :crossed_fingers:t3: :crossed_fingers:t3:), dealing with the Google folks, and a little grocery shopping.

It was my PIC’s turn to cook a new recipe today, and he chose the NYT cheesy white bean bake, to which we added toasted fennel seeds, some baby spinach, chopped up carrots, a squeeze or two of nduja, and red wine instead of water. Eh.

The whole thing was weirdly sweet - I blame the tomato paste & the not entirely cooked off red wine, and I could barely taste the nduja.

This will be removed from our recipe box, as the only appeal I can see it having for folks is its ease, fast prep, cost of ingredients, and heftiness: if one has to feed a family for cheap, this is great. But def not for us. Yay leftovers :neutral_face:

17 Likes

I would blame the carrots. I find they add a ton of sweetness to stewy dishes like this, and the smaller you chop them, the more sweet they emit.

8 Likes

This biftekia recipe tonight, with a cumin garlic tomato sauce and orzo. Fruit salad. Good recipe!

5 Likes

Lohikeitto (again). Today with a white BC King salmon. Shallots, potatoes, carrots, and peas – all from our garden surplus.

Served with homemade oyster crackers.

21 Likes

we’ve been down and out with a nasty cold (not covid, phew!) for the last week or so, so not much going in. But last night the BF cooked a full meal for both of us. I’d sent him SE’s cacio e uovo - a veggie carbonara. Cheesy, eggy delight! Both parm regg and pecorino romano go in, and 2 eggs plus another egg yolk for extra richness. Very good. BF also roasted a red bell, and served it with kalamatas. Good eats on a chilly night.

27 Likes

Yesss. I meant to edit that the carrots probz had a lot to do with the sweetness. These were especially sweet carrots, too (sshhhh… I ate the tips raw while prepping :face_with_hand_over_mouth:).

Maybe I should try again without the carrots? :thinking:

We always liked this one as written, with either some tortilla chips or plain tortillas to scoop it up. Try again, maybe?

1 Like

Haven’t been able to grill because of the snow and it’s driving me nuts. I grill the protein most nights so I’m a little bit at a loss over here.

Ham slice (on the stove, oof)
Glazed carrots
Roasted romanesco cauliflower

7 Likes

If you love white beans, maybe. Personally I’d be adding a boatload of spicy Italian sausage to jazz it up!

1 Like

Yeah, my PIC had suggested adding hot or mild Italian, but I wanted the dish to be mostly “vegetarian” - the nduja was our compromise but we clearly didn’t use enough of it.

Last night: really was craving homemade pizza with those olive oil flatbreads I’ve been telling you about. Store did not have them. I had large tortillas on hand to make quesadillas later in the week, so I made “thin crust” pizzas with them. Passable/enjoyable. No sauce on any. One had onion and black olives. The other roasted zucchini, mushrooms, and onion. No pics.

Tonight: wanted a turkey (Applegate) and provolone sub. Bought the cheese today, opened it up, and it was moldy. Ok. I check the fridge and there’s swiss of indeterminate age (threw it out) and white American slices. No date on them since I threw the original packaging out, but they are individually wrapped. Looked and smelled fine. I figure with all the processing, I might be safe! :rofl: Sandwich had tomato, hot cherry peppers of course, and homemade Thousand Island.

No pics of the sub but we did make these, desperate to get a vegetable in. Broccoli Tots. Recipe sat in a binder for a decade before only now being unleashed upon the world. Baked. Cheesy. Delicious. Healthy? Maybe HEALTHIER is the right word.

26 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was night 2 of breaded liver. I was able to stretch a pack of liver (I had in the freezer) for two meals, this is the second. So I served breaded liver, white rice with Mr. Yoshida sauce and green beans. Sunshine is going to have a couple pieces on her Chocolate Peanut Butter roll candy for dessert, so that takes care of protein, starch, vegetable and dessert. Kitchen is cleaned up – Done and Done!!

14 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is gochujang buttered noodles following a recipe by Eric Kim for the New York Times, which also can be found here: https://www.harvie.farm/blog/gochujang-buttered-noodles/

I added a fried egg and some sesame seeds. Quick and easy and good.

24 Likes

Gumbo baby!

Just checking this thread out and so many things look amazing!

27 Likes

Sounds good!Where did you share it?

Leek Fritters from Ottolenghi with leeks, shallots, parsley, chili, flour, baking powder, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, coriander, sugar, butter, egg, egg white, milk and a dipping sauce made from yoghurt, sour cream, parsley, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Served with sautéed sugar snap peas with mustard and cumin seeds, parsley, lemon juice and zest and tarragon

20 Likes

That looks scrumptious!

1 Like

Some dried minced, some fried (like Durkee), some powdered. This recipe was kind of a fail for me though, I’m guessing because I subbed yogurt for some of the sour cream (ran out). It cratered in the bread maker.

After a few days abscence it’s time to play catch up.

On Sunday I got home a little late from a gallery visit so I made peanut butter noodles for dinner since prep work and clean up was minimal.

On Monday I made a basa fillet poached in tomato sauce with rice on the side. Heirloom tomato carpaccio to start. I managed to dirty every pot and pan I own and couldn’t be bothered to wash dishes then boil potatoes for the potato salad I had planned for lunch yesterday. “I’ll make lunch in the morning” I said.

Plans to make lunch fell by the wayside so I bought a chicken curry from the Thai place in the food court. No pics since my office buddy came with me and we were busy chatting. I made the potato salad for dinner making two servings so I have leftovers for lunch today.

19 Likes

The gumbo looks amazing! And yes, lots of great meals posted on this monthly thread. Hope you continue to share your meals. Gives the rest of us more ideas for dinner (as I contemplate at 10 a.m. what to have for dinner tonight. :smiley: )

7 Likes