What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

That combination looks delicious!

1 Like

Made a pot of Leshta/lentil soup yesterday, had it for dinner tonight with some homemade croutons and a squeeze of lemon, also roasted a piece of pork belly that I’ll nibble on and turn it into a meal or two.

27 Likes

Yum!

My kiddo would like that! Did you follow a recipe?

1 Like

Japchae from the freezer and an arugula salad with creamy Sriracha-sesame dressing, cukes, and yellow tomatoes.

20 Likes

I would happily eat in your house.

2 Likes

An abysmal day of rain that pretty much washed away most of the pretty snow we got on Saturday. Meh.

The OG dinner plan was to finish that lovely lemony soup from last night, but the Thai red curry with the cod had been in the fridge a couple days longer, so that was reheated gently, I added the rest of the peas & 4 shrimp for each of us.

Still had a very nice burn from the peppers (if not more from sitting), and was about as easy a dinner as possible. I like.

22 Likes

Mushrooms and steak, pan fried. Served with some reheated roast squash, carrots and celery

20 Likes

Roti canai with curry!
RM 2.70/USD $0.58 !
Incredible price for airport food!

This is the first time I’ve had curry in either Thailand or Malaysia! :joy:

This is in a 24 food court with lots of choices!

And I can go anywhere I want in KLIA according to airline and airport staff. Though I won’t, I could even go into Kuala Lumpur if I wanted. As someone with 20 years experience as a travel agent, that’s what I thought would be the case!

22 Likes

Today was my WFH day, so in between i worked most of the day on a red dal and eggplant curry, with a little spinach thrown in because we had it, with basmati, raita, and groundnut chaat. Turned out lovely, though it could have used a tad more ginger. Still - DAL-ISH, as the BF said. Hit the spot, on a cold, rainy-ish day.

24 Likes

It was a dark and stormy night.

Chicken soup from scratch, with German egg noodles and homemade oyster crackers.

Because we’re feeling cozy, there will be freshly baked chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

31 Likes

I made sauteed shrimp with shallots, tomatoes, oregano, Riesling and crushed chiles, Greek-style white beans, cauliflower with olive oil and lemon, black rice pilaf, sour cherry soup from canned cherries.

Black rice pudding and purchased crème caramel.

18 Likes

Sauteed shrimp, cauliflower rice, onion, carrot, red pepper, parsley, splash of chicken broth. Kale caesar, homemade dressing and croutons. I didn’t have any romaine and the wild caught pink shrimp were tasteless. There was a Beefeater rocks.

24 Likes

Glad you tried the curry. I love Thai and Malaysian curries. I almost always order one when I go for Thai or Malaysian food.

2 Likes

I get days long indigestion:heartburn if there are bell peppers or what Asian countries like to refer to as “paprika” in any dish I eat. The same goes for fish like mackerel, sardines, saury and similar fish with lots of Omega-3 oils.

So because I can rarely be reassured that bell peppers/paprika isn’t in SE Asian curry, I play it safe and stay away from those dishes. I could see there was none in this, so I ordered it.

Oddly enough dried chili peppers or powdered forms of them usually don’t cause me any issues.

EDIT: Oops! I spoke too soon because it seems that I didn’t inspect the curry enough and I guess there were some sort of peppers in it that disagree with me as I’ve got heartburn now. Thank goodness I carry Tums with me. They aren’t available in Japan and I had a friend send me a huge container of them!

6 Likes

Ya know I first read that as ‘root canal with curry’ - roti canai sounds sooo much better :grin:

8 Likes

BTW, I got upgraded from having no seat assignment at all to an exit row aisle for the gate-to-gate 58 minute flight from Penang to Kuala Lumpur. The flight to Japan doesn’t look nearly as promising, however…

3 Likes

My first Dutch baby, and it came out awfully flat and tough. Oh, well. From a NYT recipe, with goat cheese and dill. I wonder what went wrong.

20 Likes

Very simple but surprisingly tasty dish - kale, beans and garlic are cooked in milk with s&p. Finished with some crumbled, fried rosemary.

15 Likes

No photo of the leftover restaurant ribs Mom brought home for me today. Eaten over the sink.

Dessert, though, was a blissfully perfect Bosc pair and some scrumptuous Bellavitano cheese. I am low-key addicted to that stuff.

13 Likes