What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

My desperation go-to meal when I look up from work to realize how late it is in the day.

Simple salad of Japanese greens dressed with Kewpie roasted sesame dressing. Broccoli rabe/Tofurky Italian sausage/canned chickpeas/crush red pepper/liberal squeezes of lemon sautéed in butter and olive oil served over trottole. B added fluffy mounds of microplaned cheese to his. I added too much pasta water so it was a little more soggy than I like. Oh well, it worked for a Tuesday.

IMG_5501

IMG_5502

22 Likes

Just imagining the crunch of homemade soup crackers over the warm stew makes me happy. Wow!

6 Likes

Interestingly enough, the Quorn roast is the only iteration of Quorn that I actually like so I definitely recommend it. I hope you find some! I’m in the UK and we have it in the freezer sections of most big stores I think.

2 Likes

I thought those potatoes were pineapple and was momentarily perplexed.

My husband read me a b.s. clickbait headline/statistic that 35% of Americans do Dry January. Read closer and it was 35% of drinking age and included non-drinkers :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

HOMEMADE PIZZA is our winner for Dish of the Quarter! HOMEMADE PIZZA - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter Paired with MEXICAN for COTQ, we’re going to be eating well AND get a chance to talk about my favorite Taco Bell menu item of all time - the MEXICAN PIZZA!

6 Likes

Barreling down our list of easy favorites again with dinner tonight: Kathi rolls.

This was reheat-and-assemble: I ordered in rumali (handkerchief-thin) roti because I wanted a bigger size than the chapatis and parathas at hand, cooked up frozen chicken seekh kababs and defrosted leftover soya chaap / mock chicken kababs, quick-pickled some red onions, defrosted green chutney, and we were off to the races.

Mom had one well-stuffed soya chaap kathi roll, and I made two each of the chicken seekh version for sis and me, but we could only get through one at dinner (there’s always the possibility of a late-night snack).

I like to pan-fry the rolls to firm up the parts where the chutney might have seeped through the very thin flatbread, plus it adds a bit of crunch which is welcome in addition to the onions.

VEGETARIAN:

CHICKEN:

26 Likes

Yummmm

1 Like

A late Irish friend prided himself on his chicken & peach curry. As someone who generally despises inherently sweet ingredients in savory dishes, I thought it was edible. I find that curry sauces lend themselves to sweeter flavors, given the ingredients.

Ma la peanut noodles with preserved mustard, carrot, radish, and scallions

24 Likes

I forgot to take a pic of the main course (grilled pork tenderloin and roasted Brussels sprouts) but the star was a salad @linguafood told us about over in the Salads thread: shaved celery, chopped dates, toasted chopped nuts, and shaved Italian cheese (I had parm, recipe was for ricotta salata.) Delish.

21 Likes

I muffed my way again through a pork tenderloin/garlic/rosemary for B and Spring Onion (I made one at Xmas time for them and my visiting parents). SO’s dish had double carb of mixed rice and delightful mashed Maine yellow potatoes (which he asked for after I had plated his meal). He ate/relished everything, which is rare. B just got home but his plate will have tenderloin, Brussels mixed into the broccoli rabe/chickpea/soy sausage mix from last night. Maine potatoes done in the Canarian style for him on the side.

IMG_5503

IMG_5504

21 Likes

Lazy takeout dinner: braised pork belly with chili oil,

king salmon, chūtoro, and shiro maguro sashimi - their fish selection was even smaller today than last time :slightly_frowning_face:.

Had leftover rice from the shrimp & broccoli dinner & was going for a chirashi vibe, but …. well, leftover rice (even briefly warmed and fluffed up) ≠ sushi.

Couldn’t finish the fish as both king salmon and chūtoro were incredibly rich. Blasphemous as it may be, I might be searing the remaining sashimi for lunch tomorrow :shushing_face:

I also made another attempt at spinach goma æ – while I blanched it perfectly this time, trying to get most of the water out bruises it in a way that I don’t like. If anyone has a trick to have it come out less smooshed up (but not soggy), plz send it my way. Maybe I just need to take it out even sooner.

The dressing was store-bought sesame miso sauce to which I added a splash of dark soy sauce and a tiny splash of rice vinegar. Found the dressing entirely too sweet. Oh, well. At least we got our veg in for NFJ.

14 Likes

Recipe from Milk Street Magazine

1 Like

I could be a very good nursemaid if you wanted to move in and cook here…:innocent:

1 Like

Could you wilt it in a hot skillet with the lid on?

I love that Penzey’s spice blend!

1 Like

I made Gochujang broiled tuna “sushi” bowls (sushi-seasoned rice, avocado, sesame-dressed cucumber, Sriracha mayo, crispy panko, scallion curls, Swiss chard micro greens, chopped Romaine lettuce, and furikake). Really liked the tuna preparation.

25 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a spring roll bowl.

19 Likes

Spring Onion took the photo of his mashed potatoes. Even I can’t take a photo that is that bad. Or maybe I can? :grin:

1 Like