What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

ATK’s red beans and rice, with last season’s cranberry beans from the garden, Uli’s Andouille sausage, and home-smoked pork belly. Not pictured was coleslaw on the side.

26 Likes

You had me at Brussels sprouts

2 Likes

Chicken piccata. Believe it or not that big slab of meat is one blsl thigh pounded out. I got my piccata confused with milanese and breaded it so the sauce was a little thick but it was delicious and I ate ever last bite. Wild blend gourmet rice, onion, garlic, baby bells cooked in chicken broth. Escarole, red onion, fennel, blood orange salad, honey mustard, blood orange zest dressing. Negroni and wine.

24 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter in Newton, NJ, including ‘Tuscan nachos’ with homemade chips, prosciutto, burrata, Calabrian chilis, and truffle pesto oil; lobster and crab cake; seared pistachio crusted scallops with winter citrus salsa, and parsnip potato puree; wild mushroom toast with a fried quail egg; 24 oz. dry aged, espresso rubbed, bone in rib steak, with boursin scalloped potato, and grilled butterfly shrimp; French onion gnocchi with caramelized onion, brown butter, and broiled cheese. It all went great with an excellent Zinfandel and cabernet.

14 Likes

Mojo-inspired flanken cut short ribs with cabbage-bell pepper slaw and cilantro-lime rice. The ribs were the star. I put about 15 cloves of garlic through a press then mixed in lime and orange juice, olive oil, soy sauce, jalapeno powder, smoked paprika, cumin, a pinch of cinnamon and a little brown sugar. Marinated the ribs for a few hours and then quickly griddled so the fatty edges got crispy and caramelized. Fantastic.

20 Likes

Kababs, garlic naan, labneh, toum, and fermented chilli paste.

I baked a little marble cake this evening, so I had a piece (okay, fine, two) for dessert.

29 Likes

Pork belly stewed with seaweed, mushrooms and chili pepper

Beef with celery

Stir fried mustard greens

14 Likes

Tonight was our tried and true slow-cooker brisket recipe that uses 12 ounces of beer as the base liquid. We always switch it up, but this time went with Guinness as the brew and it was perfect.

As for the meat, 2.5 pounds, eight hours on high and it was fall-apart tender. Literally it came apart as I was slicing. Picture does not do it justice-- makes it look dry, but it was not!

A close-up of the action. Not a good shot. This meal never photographs well. A VERY brown meal as the sides were roasted potatoes and mushrooms. I also steamed some broccoli.

Mushrooms stole the show. Thick-cut with crisped garlic sautéed in butter and olive oil with a little salt and pepper.

There was a martini!

25 Likes

This sounds and LOOKS amazing!

3 Likes

Thank you. It was. The scallops just melted in your mouth.

1 Like

I had pork chow mein using the last of the bbq’d pork in the freezer. Accompanied by a blanc de blanc using the fancy wine glass purchased at the thrift store :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Thanks Saregama. I use the Woks of Life recipe and omit the red food colouring (which the recipe lists as optional anyway). When I lived in London, I used to just buy a kilo or two from the giant Chinese supermarket roast meat counter. Now that I live on the South Coast, I needed to find a way to make my own to satisfy the occasional family craving for char siu.

7 Likes

I was literally just thinking I should make this!

1 Like

I’ve seen versions of breaded meats piccata-style, but I prefer them just lightly dusted with seasoned flour.

1 Like

Those scallops remind me I realllllly need to get cracking on my jar of trout roe!

They’re gorgeous!

1 Like

The audition went really well. The kid was prepared, nailed one of the 4 songs I’d sent him, did a very good job on what is probably the most complicated tune in our repertoire, and seems motivated & eager to join us. Might even let him play a set for our next show :slight_smile:

As for our initial plans for a movie night - that didn’t happen. One of my gal pals is flying solo this weekend (her boo & daughter are in the city until today), and she’d asked what we were up, so I spontaneously invited her over for dinner – those 5lbs of pot roast ain’t gonna eat themselves :smiley:

When I took the broc out of the fridge I realized it was too skimpy of a side for three peeps, so I made a big ole SALAD with Aldi gem lettuce, cuke, and avocado in a creamy herb dressing. Steamed taters with melted butter & moar chopped parsley.

I’d removed the meat from the delectable jus that collected in the DO, and put the jus in the freezer, hoping to get the fat to rise to the top to skim some of it. That didn’t quite happen in just under an hour time, but I was able to take most of the fat out with a few paper towels laid on top.

I put the meat & jus back in the DO & set it on the burner to reheat. We were blabbing and solving the world’s problems for a bit, and when I next walked into the kitchen something smelled funny. Turns out the cork place mat had stuck to the bottom of the DO, and was getting rather toasty :scream: It stuck to the burner, and when I released it with a spatula, bits of burnt cork went flying all over…… including into the uncovered DO :scream:. I spent a good long time digging through the pot & picking them out, and the fact that we all had more than one helping makes me think I got all of them. Yikes, tho :scream:

We hung out until well after midnight, chatting and drinking too much wine. Good times :smiley:

21 Likes

Between your brisket and @biondanonima’s flanken, I am now craving MEAT!

1 Like

Steak-frites, with a dab of dijonaise.

19 Likes

Made Soto Ayam, Indonesian chicken noodle soup, last night at my sister’s. Turned out delicious. Full of turmeric, ginger, lime juice, garlic, shallots, coriander and cumin. I added fish sauce too. Rice noodles, AND the suggested rice on the side. I fried my shallots a little too dark but I don’t mind a little char. HB egg, chili crisp after the pic.

20 Likes

Mmmmm. That looked great on Facebook, and it looks great here. Wish I had a bowl of that for lunch instead!