What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

I’m trying to think of what cheese crumbles I could use with Parm-Peppercorn dressing (not a fan of blue cheese). Maybe feta? I think goat cheese would get lost in the stronger Parm-Peppercorn flavors, but that I always have in the fridge.

Goat cheese is too soft to crumble. I agree feta might work or even pecorino if you like sheeps milk cheese. Or if you want to totally change course there is always ranch dressing?

1 Like

No photographic evidence, but a Bon Appetit recipe intrigued me: quartered and grilled oranges and onion, lightly browned garlic, bone in and skin on chicken thighs, sprinkled with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and browned, a sauce of white wine, Dijon, orange juice, and chicken broth, all braised with rosemary sprigs. It was quite good.

8 Likes

Cotija

5 Likes

Feta or shaved ricotta salata? It has a pleasant saltiness with no overwhelming flavor.

1 Like

Dinner out last night…

7 Likes

Spicy linguine pomodoro(I used Rao’s sauce) with shrimp. Yum.

24 Likes

BOOM. Yup, that works! Thanks! Added to my weekend shopping list.

2 Likes

Breakfast For Dinner:

Leftover steak and home fries, made from a half baked potato, both from a previous dinner, topped with an over-easy egg with a buttered English muffin on the side.

And there was wine! Happy Friday, all!

27 Likes

I think if your parm-peppercorn is hefty enough, you can skip the crumbles – or just use more fresh parm (ime pecorino can become extra salty as a finishing sprinkle if there’s already a bunch of salty stuff in play, like bacon).

Feta or similar might be dissonant with the parm dressing.

2 Likes

Everything looks fantastic, but that nice and toasty (and buttery!) English muffin – :yum:!

2 Likes

There were a couple of possibilities for dinner tonight – we coulda made a meal of all the leftovers in the fridge, namely: a couple spoons of leftover baba ganoush with flatbread, a sizable amount of pilaf, steamed broccoli, saag paneer & chicken makhani, more cilantro dip, a few more spoons of cheesy white bean bake, maybe half a cup of fesenjān, and enough rice to feed a family of 10 from the recent crappy Indian order :joy:

Another option were pillowy ricotta ravs from Talluto’s in Philadelphia, of which we brought home 3 trays along with a pint of their vodka sauce (and meatballs, but those are for another day). In case we decided on pasta, I grabbed a discounted loaf of supermarket garlic bread – might as well go whole hog :pig_nose:

Once we started discussing our evening entertainment & The Godfather Pt II came up, the choice was a no-brainer: lusciously tender, creamy ravioli, zesty vodka sauce, and a salad (of course) of harvest crunch lettuce, flavor bomb tomatoes, avocado, and walnuts in a tart, zesty walnut vinaigrette.

The garlic bread wasn’t all that great, even with very low expectations.

20 Likes

Yessssss! Looks amazing!

1 Like

There’s 12 to a pack, and I’d forgotten how many we usually make. Four/person is kinda the perfect amount. The ricotta filling is delicate, but generous. The vodka sauce (first time we got it since I usually make my own) was a nice counterpart - zesty, tart & just a touch of cream.

Happy campers @casa lingua! :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Dinner tonight was one of dad’s simplest chicken dishes.

It’s hard to beat a home-style chicken curry for comfort and deliciousness – so few ingredients, so much flavor and happiness!

Met a friend out early for drinks and apps at a favorite French place nearby.

We had one of our favorite charcuterie offerings there, a delectable chicken liver mousse with onion jam. I wanted a second pate but my friend was tempted by the tarte d’alsace – which I also love, but ended up being a surprisingly weak rendition, much to her disappointment. We had fingerlings Lyonnaise on the side, because: potatoes!

The server was oddly insistent I get their specialty gin cocktail instead of the seasonal Manhattan I wanted, and I do love gin, so I acquiesced like a dummy, but what came was basically a Cosmo, which is not what I had wanted to drink at all, so that teaches me to stop trying to please random people :rofl:

23 Likes

Mapo tofu. White rice and steamed broccoli on the side. I haven’t posted dinner in so long!

20 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious pan seared boneless quail breast salad with roasted delicata squash, roasted mini peppers, sautéed red onions, arugula, with a balsamic syrup. It all went great with an excellent Napa red blend.

18 Likes

Not up to anything too taxing. Miso soup with napa cabbage, carrots, wood ear, leeks and tofu. Tuna melt on a bialy.

20 Likes

Sesame noodz with ground pork, cabbage, carrots, and scallions.

22 Likes

Beef stroganoff over egg noodles. Spinach, green onion, radish, avocado salad, creamy Greek dressing. There was a Tanqueray Gibson on the rocks and wine.

Dessert, decaf Carajillo.

23 Likes