What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

My second stab at a Dutch baby, which is apparently very easy to make, if you aren’t me. Slightly less of a failure than my first attempt, in that at least this one puffed up A LITTLE. And then collapsed. It had a nicer texture this time, though. I think my pan’s too big, and it spreads too much, maybe.

24 Likes

You must have a great camera, and lenses.

I can literally see the orange zest in the conchiglie.

Well done sir. Well done.

6 Likes

It might not fool anybody but it doesn’t need to - looks fabulous!

2 Likes

This is great news! Good for your mom! Hope she bounces back quickly from the exciting day out.

2 Likes

My partner makes fish cooked in coconut milk with lemon grass, lime juice and rind for the most part. The day or two afterwards I take the leftovers and make soup.
I add stock and laksa paste. Depending on how much fish is left, I can add shrimp or tofu. I make noodles (rice yesterday) and whatever vegetables i have (broccoli yesterday, which was crisper than it looks). Then garnish with whatever herbs I have in the fridge (it was thai basil, coriander, cucumber, green onion and lime wedges). I used to have chilis but my stomach doesn’t like them these days. Anyway, it’s a hit around here and that’s all that counts. Do others have a leftover meal that’s as big a hit as the original? Is there a thread for that?

25 Likes

There is: Cook once, eat twice (or thrice!)

2 Likes

^ Mine too. Happy to hear that the excursion went beautifully for your Mom!

4 Likes

My affect is unchanged; the only thing your typo (or autocorrect sabotage) has effected in me is to recall that both of these words have more than one meaning which don’t necessarily line up.

2 Likes

Well, so much for trying some small plates I hadn’t had before, or even sharing a main with my PIC post-show. My “dinner” consisted of 4 glasses of their lovely, tart & refreshing Queen Li with black currant. https://titanhollow.com/mad-mcintosh-cidery/

A member of one of my local food groups had shown up by herself & was promptly invited to the big table where our friends were seated, and she was so sweet for putting together a tiny plate with a taste of her chimichurri steak, fried B shproutz & mashed for me, but it was literally 3 or 4 bites I munched on during our set break. Why my PIC never ordered any food - even for himself - remains a mystery :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And so, our aMAZing dinner last night consisted of the last of the white bean & nduja soup, plus a bit of the leftover roast chicken with Herdez avo salsa (my PIC’s choice… don’t ask :smile:) & pilaf at 10pm.

We’re having our pesca buddy over for takeout sushi dinner tonight.

9 Likes

I’m blaming Google voice to text. Get with context, AI! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Air-fryer pork shoulder “country rib” over ramen noodles left over from lunch. For some reason, the pork took a long time just to get to the medium-rare you see, and didn’t crisp up.

16 Likes

Snacky dinner tonight of mostly chaat.

I had made the pani (water) for pani puri a few days ago because mom loves it but is not eating from even trusted outside sources at the moment (the water can be boiled at home to eliminate any risk, but rock salt which is a key flavoring agent can cause digestive distress if used in excess, which it often is outside — at home we use more herbs for flavor, and just a touch of the salt).

Anyway, we totally forgot about it in yesterday’s anxiety and excitement — until I was running errands today and saw a pani puri guy on the street :rofl:

So, pani puri and dahi batata puri for dinner tonight — same shells, different fillings: sprouted moong beans, potatoes, and herb/spice water for the former, seasoned mashed potato topped with sweet chutney, spiced yogurt, and spices for the latter.

The original plan had included a second course for everyone — garlic bread that I picked up on our excursion yesterday (another mom fave) and tomato salad for mom, and potato chops (ie mashed potato-coated baby lamb chops) for us. But mom just filled up on chaat because she was enjoying it after so long.

We remembered dad again (always): chief pani puri lover of the family and dahi batata puri chef extraordinaire. (Also the inventor of my much beloved potato chops!)

27 Likes

Homemade bolognese. It is a recipe that my recently deceased dad always used to make on snow days. It is snowing so I’m wearing one of his shirts and making the bolognese. I will have it over pappardelle.

22 Likes

What a nice way to honor the memory of your dad, and what a comforting meal for a snow day.

5 Likes

Hope the shirt, the meal, and the remembrance of him doing something he enjoyed bring you comfort.

So much of our familial love is often tied up in food and taste memory, but it can be bittersweet in loss even when it’s a reminder of happy times.

7 Likes

I turned two different leftovers into a beef and mushroom stew with (newly added) barley. I think this is one of those instances where it was less than the sum of its parts - fine but meh. In my attempt to be thrifty I probably just made more waste.

20 Likes

Happens.

3 Likes

This is and will be a lovely memory for you. I still talk to my late Mom when I make a favorite dinner of hers, telling her I wish she could join me. :heart:

10 Likes

For me, a little chili crisp swirled in can lift up any meh meal. A sprinkle of MSG or dashida (powdered soup base) couldn’t hurt, either.

2 Likes

It’s been a month and a half since my last Friday night steak tip dinner, so I was overdue!

A Market Basket steak tip with Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a baked tater with TPSTOB&SC, and roasted garlic Brussels sprouts. Went heavier on the veg tonight.

Wine. Happy Friday, all.

29 Likes