What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Thank you! :blush:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Your meals are always so impressive and pleasing to the eye!

4 Likes

Thanks! I try to have fun with it!

1 Like

It is a mystery

3 Likes

WFD is one of numerous NYT recipes I’d added to a new folder in an attempt to winnow our collection. One of my aspirations for this year is to cook at least one new (to us) recipe from the NYT, or others that inspire. Part of this plan is to share cooking responsibilities ever so slightly more evenly (I do 95% of all cooking in the house), as my PIC is on sabbatical and therefore has zero excuse to be slackin’ like that :smiley:

His choice for tonight was a lemony chicken-feta meatball soup with spinach. He used panko (no rolled oats in the house) and ground turkey for the meatballs as he didn’t like the choice of ground chicken. Not sure it really makes a diff, what with the RPF, the dill, and the feta.

The verdict: PIC liked that it came together quickly and easily. I liked the meatballs and the broth – which shouldn’t come as a surprise as both are redolent with two of my favorite ingredients, lemon & dill. A little heavy on the cumin for my taste, but all the flavors play together quite nicely, so I think this will go in the favorites folder.

26 Likes

Take-out pasta suppli from Toronto’s Alimentari’s hot table, take-out Roman tomato pizza slice from Toronto’s Barocco X Nino, FarmBoy grocery store’s ready to bake Cranberry Pecan stuffed chicken breast and Fiesta cheese stuffed chicken breast, baked beans from a can, fruit salad, and take-out Bakery Pompette’s Crème Caramel. No photos :joy:

Not sure what’s going on with supply and demand of grocery store Rotisserie chicken in LdnOnt. My independent grocery store was sold out of ready-to-eat rotisserie chicken by 5:25 pm and my chain grocery store Farm Boy was sold out of ready-to-eat rotisserie chicken by 5:45 pm. The ready-to-bake chicken breasts from FarmBoy took around 20 minutes to cook. I used to be able to find a hot chicken right before dinnertime.

11 Likes

It’s windy and cold, and I love beef barley mushroom soup, though it’s a mess to make, so I made it today, with short ribs for the beef, and dried porcini mushrooms. I love, love, love barley, so I always put in “too much.” I cheated mightily on the stock (a can of campbell’s beef consommé, a lot of minor’s chicken base, a big dose of sherry, and anchovy paste, and a few red pepper flakes, and a touch of Mutti tomato paste), and also used soup socks to my great advantage. Roasted the short ribs in the oven in a grease absorbing disposable broiler pan instead of browning them in the pot, and discarded the soup sock veg —with bay leaf and garlic cloves - and refreshed them with fresh sliced veg for the end result. Yeah, I know the soup hasn’t been defatted in the photo; not to worry. Put the soup in smaller containers out on the balcony to chill tonight. Can peel off the fat tomorrow. The short rib meat was perfect! Dried mushrooms are a gift from the gods.

Had a great big mug for dinner and I am a happy camper.

25 Likes

Xinjiang Cumin Lamb from Woks of Life. This was a last minute substitution when I found one of the major ingredients for the planned meal was bad. I had some ground lamb in the freezer which was easy to get defrosted in time for dinner. The actual recipe calls for marinated chunks of lamb shoulder but the ground meat worked well. I bumped up the spice amounts (cumin seed, dried cumin, chili peppers, Sichuan pepper flakes) and used the marinade ingredients to make the sauce. I had some leftover eggplant and mushrooms that needed to be used so they got added as well. Served with cucumber salad.

25 Likes

That’s a favorite here. I use ground lamb or beef, too. Good pivot.

3 Likes

The saga of the short ribs: I cooked them for 9 hours yesterday in my ancient crock pot, they were not tender and the diced carrots were still al dente. Today I put them in a covered casserole in the oven @350 for 2 hours, better but still not tender enough. I cut them off the bone, cut in smaller pieces and cooked on the stove until, et voilà, they were tender. Served over creamy cheese polenta. Mixed greens salad, cuke, tomato, onion, baby bell, peppercorn ranch. The short ribs were from ss’s grass fed beef. Manhattan, because it is dark, cold and raining but at least I don’t have a foot of snow. :relieved:

Oregon fauna

31 Likes

Chili-mac redux with the last of the monster holiday mac and cheese. Tortilla chips. Green salad.

I think I’ve had enough M&C - at least of this version - to last me for a while.

25 Likes

We have deer in the city, wandering along a couple of streams that wend their way to the harbor. I saw a young faun in a yard — I thought it was a dog. Many people have seen a piebald deer making the rounds. There were a lot of deer when I was growing up in the county, but this is quite something else.

5 Likes

We have a cold winter evening with light snow cover. It begged for a warm Massaman curry and we had everything in the house - curry paste, chicken breast, sweet potatoes and onions & coconut milk. Served on Jasmine rice - topped with peanuts. Great comfort food.

Wine for DH. Dry January for me…

15 Likes

That sounds delicious!

1 Like

not much of interest chez nous… we went out to dinner last night at hole-in-wall Vietnamese place that I have to review and unfortunately it wasn’t great. But my chicken salad (the same as the BF made me last week) from there was decent - the dressing just needed some oomph/heat.

We had a ton of languishing herbs that needed to be used, so I made kuku sabzi (Persian herby frittata), this time using baking powder as opposed to baking soda like last time (ruined!) - turned out well though i oversalted! I used to make this all the time! Still, edible, so I had a slice tonight with my leftover salad. The BF made himself some sort of soup of odds and ends.

before

after

26 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a quick (throw together) meal. Pasta with andouille sausage in a cream of mushroom soup sauce. Peas on the side as our vegetable.

23 Likes

that soup is something both the BF and I would enjoy…

2 Likes

Grilled ham slice
Local Lima beans I froze in August
Carrots
Green salad with goat cheese and citrus vinaigrette

Then I spent three hours in the basement preparing for tomorrow’s heavy rain (we have … a problem.)

17 Likes

Love black cod done like that! How was the texture of the fish? I’ve only ever done the full 3 days a la Nobu with black cod, though salmon I’ve gone shorter on occasion.

Very neat maki, especially considering the noodles!

2 Likes