What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

I was going to have short ribs for dinner but I didn’t get them into the crock pot soon enough, so it was freezer to the rescue. The last of the beef and black bean enchiladas, red sauce, sharp cheddar, sour cream, cilantro. Rice, avocado and radishes. And a good excuse for a Margarita.

25 Likes

Spaghetti carbonara, with bay scallops. Another frequent favorite.

25 Likes

Tonight I had some nibblies in front of the TV since the Golden Globes were on. Basically a reddux of NYE: dolmades to start then onto cheese, patė, kalamata olives, half an avocado with an evoo balsamic dressing and crusty bread.

25 Likes

Sausage and Leek Pizza - used the Jim Lahey dough and cooked in the oven at 500F for 7 minutes. Topped with béchamel sauce, parmesan, mozzarella, blanched leeks, fresh pork sausage, panko bread crumbs and chili flakes

19 Likes

Thank you! My ventilation is abysmal too, but I’m not very good at cooking within any restrictions like that. If things get smoky or anything I just open all the windows and hope for the best. Though I think my partner wishes I knew my limits better in terms of space and equipment :grin:

7 Likes

My 2nd full day here in Penang and I finally got into Georgetown. My hotel is 2 km from Penang Airport as I have an early morning departure on January 10th. Thankfully it’s a pleasant 50 minute one way bus trip costing only RM 2.70/USD $0.58 !

I had lunch (sorry to post my lunch, not dinner) in the Little India part of Georgetown at an Indian-Chinese fusion place called “Kafe Jayam”. Besides curry, I’ve not eaten all that much Indian food and I quickly called a friend who lived in Chennai for a few years to confer with her what I should order. We determined it should be Chicken Biryani (other items I wanted were only available at breakfast or dinner…grrr…)

The chicken biryani was served with a curry sauce and a yogurt sauce with shallots in it. As you can see, there was a hard boiled egg as well. The biryani was prepared in a stoneware pot leaving lots of crispy rice bits! It was all so incredibly yummy! I preferred it with the curry sauce rather than the yogurt sauce, but I did eat the yogurt sauce after to cool my palate. Unbelievable, but this cost just RM 13.50/USD $2.90 ! Though the restaurant does have both Indian and Chinese dishes on the menu, I only saw one table with Chinese people…all the other patrons besides me were either from the Indian subcontinent or had ancestry from there. Not only was the food great, the service was exemplary!

Since I normally only eat breakfast and dinner without lunch at all, I brought home a char siu pastry and an egg tart from Innland Bakery for a light dinner in my hotel room. I didn’t expect to eat pork in Malaysia (though I do know it is sometimes available), but it was an excellent pastry and the type of dim sum I crave as it’s basically unavailable in Japan. The char siu pastry was RM 7/USD $1.50 and the yummy egg tart was RM 3/USD $0.65.

Tomorrow is my last day here in Malaysia and I hope to eat some Hainanese chicken rice…Malaysian style!

28 Likes

The view from our window this morning.

32 Likes

Last night was a Chicken Philly after a day of research. I took a chicken breast and froze it for two hours so I could slice it into paper-thin strips. Provolone, hot cherry peppers, onion, and a little ketchup (I’m not a snob and I don’t care). Delicious sandwich, but wish I went with white American cheese instead. I used two spatulas to chop, chop, chop!

26 Likes

When it gets really cold after a storm that coats branches like that, and they are transformed into glassy icicles, I am always transported to the childhood fairytale of The Snow Queen – might have been the illustrations in the book I grew up with.

7 Likes

I made a Chickpea and Lentil Dal. It’s topped with a sesame and mustard seed oil, coriander raisin chutney, toasted coconut, chilli and coriander leaves. My partner had his with leftover soda bread I made, I found just this bowl more than filling enough though.

22 Likes

I thought we were almost done with leftovers… almost.

Tonight we pulled out Paya (trotter) Soup and Mutton Dhansak with Brown Caramelized Onion Rice – not enough of either, but together it was plenty.

Mom had vegetable and paneer cutlets with bread an butter, and a sweet lime and Jewish cheese to finish.

22 Likes

That looks so good!!!

2 Likes

I could put some hurtin’ on that.

1 Like

Ask mime what he thinks about my steak searing :joy::joy:

1 Like

Looks and sounds great. What did you season the chicken with?

1 Like

Two nights ago was leftover black bean soup and hot dogs
(didn’t bother with pics).

Last night I made chicken thigh and new potato skillet with Castelvetrano olives, grape tomatoes, shallot, and artichoke hearts. I didn’t love it as much as I’d remembered - I think maybe because I usually add some olive brine and had none. I also crowded the skillet a bit. Oops.

21 Likes

Thank you! Frankly I think our partners should be impressed by our tenacity rather than rolling their eyes at kitchen smoke :joy:

3 Likes

I kept it simple because I did not want to go overboard and take away from a specific taste I was looking for. Just salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little oregano.

1 Like

I took the night off from cooking and cleaning to treat myself to a really good smash burger from a local joint that I’ve been wanting to try for ages. Got the “Rude Dude”(the place is called Rudy) double cheeseburger with a great crust, lettuce/tomato and special sauce, tons of fries which were tasty but way over salted(and I’m a salt monster) $20 + tip ,which is standard round these parts .
Will return and ask for salt on the side :smiley:

22 Likes

Beef chorizo empanada (RecipeTin Eats) (leftover from a snow day empanada-making party with neighbors yesterday; we got a foot and trees as pictured above by others) and pickled okra for veg. Off-camera dipping sauce of TJ’s Salsa Autentica, sour cream and Valentina black label hot sauce.

22 Likes