What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Neither could I until I discovered the magic of half an Ambien. I’ve never had a sleeping pill that felt so close to natural sleep, with zero grogginess the next day.

German hotel breakfast buffets are legendary. Never seen anything even remotely close elsewhere.

2 Likes

I’ve found with their recipes that it really helps to hit that “Community notes” link and skim advice from prior users, and incorporate any that seem to make sense. And skip past all those that are angrily decrying how the recipe “isn’t authentic”.

I modified a shrimp jambalaya recipe that I found on NYT Cooking that said it was “based on” Paul Prudhomme’s. Lots of livid commenters about how “Paul would never have done it like that”. But also a lot of tips on improving it.

7 Likes

I feel you, especially given the DC background. One year in SD with no chinese food worth the moniker was more than I could bear!

Oddly, I rarely cook Ethiopian food at home even though I love it (and it’s not a stretch from indian). Maybe COTM will get me going!

1 Like

When I visited Turkey, we had to skip lunch (or delay it and turn it into a snack) almost every single day because the breakfast buffets were absolutely insane (especially for more often than not being included in the room rate)!

I had never seen that kind of spread (range and quality both) anywhere in the US or Europe and I’ve spent a lot of nights in hotels for work :joy:.

Maybe the legendary Sunday brunch at the Ritz in Philly would be in play as a contender, but there’s a hefty price tag on that, so not apples to apples. It reminded me of Asia, which is on another level. Buffets are almost sport there — one can never actually make even a tiny dentin addressing what’s on offer :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

The notes are essential!

3 Likes

And here is the reporting thread for ETHIOPIA:

2 Likes

They absolutely “make it work”
A large percentage of Ethiopians are Orthodox Tewahedo Christians. They have TONS of fasting Days when no Animal Products are allowed to be consumed, so basically Vegan but without the Vegan Dogma.
So there are many Recipes that do not use Nitter Kibbeh or use a Vegetable Fat instead of Butter.

3 Likes

Nice! I will have to take a look for that. Rogue Smokey Blue is one of my favorites!

2 Likes

So good! We grabbed a nice honk of the Rogue River Blue when we were in Philly - I didn’t even know it was a seasonal cheese. I would absolutely LOVE to visit that creamery some time (not having seen much of the PNW, either)!

3 Likes

It’s a lovely place to visit. Very green and rustic setting, and a cheese Tasting bar!

1 Like

I like watching Tim Lee’s buffet videos on YouTube. He visits huge buffets in Asia. I’ve never seen anything like them!

2 Likes

I love Rogue Creamery cheese, but had a less than stellar experience with ordering the cheese powder from them on-line. At the time they advertised a 1 year shelf life. Sounds great, but what they sent me was close to expiring. I was not impressed, and have not reordered. :crying_cat_face:

I haven’t made one in a while. Will have to do that this winter…

Did you complain to the company? I think given their reputation they would want to make that right!

1 Like

I did not complain to the company. I chalked it up to a poor purchasing decision on my part, and moved on.

Challenge accepted! Sounds fun.

This is good info, thanks!

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

It’s a lot of work, though. I prefer recipes that don’t need so much tweaking! Or are better tested.

2 Likes

I have to agree.

So much of what’s there needs adjustment that it’s just an idea list at best — then you have to comb through comments to make it actually work.

I have it, because it’s my local paper, but with so many more online sources of recipes out there now (vs way back when, when someone like Bittman or a Gourmet mag via Epi were more likely to be more reliable than some obscure blog), actually using one of their recipes is much more infrequent for me nowadays.

1 Like