What's for Dinner #101 - the Holidaypalooza Edition! - December 2023

Greek take-out from Soula’s and from Mezes, on Toronto’s Danforth. I wanted to compare the pork souvlaki and warm dolmades at both places. I purchased a pork souvlaki in a pita from Soula’s,

and pork stick from Mezes.

Mezes’ pork souvlaki was slightly better, in terms of seasoning and how it was cooked. Soula’s was more generous, with more pork, in bigger chunks.

I like Dolmades with avgolemono (egg lemon sauce) from Mezes,

better than Dolmades with tomato sauce from Soula’s.

It’s just a preference.

23 Likes

Hot wings on the Big Green Egg. Celery sticks and ranch for me; leftover Irish champ for him.

22 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ, including gnocchi in a venison bolognese; seafood pasta in a cream sauce with lobster, mussels, crab, and shrimp; octopus with eggplant caponata; lobster soup with mussels and saffron cream. It all went great with an excellent red blend and cabernet.

12 Likes

I’m nothing if not suggestible, so having been reminded of the NYT gochujang butter noodles on the 2023 Favorite New Recipes thread, I made them for dinner.

Pulled Lions Head meatballs from the freezer (one of my 2 new favorite recipes this year, as it turns out).

Stopped me from a chow fun takeout order (maybe tomorrow).

23 Likes

No, I’m going to stretch it out over three meals. There were six sausages in the sale (clearance) pack, I put two in each freezer bag. (1 for me, 1 for Sunshine). Each pizza had one andouille sausage cut up.

Good Idea!! Now, I’m thinking about what kind of pasta (and sauce) to make with the next ones. Thanks!

That reminds me, I need to do some meal planning for next week.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Jajangmyeon and tangsuyuk.

15 Likes

BF made a roasted chicken using an Ina Garten recipe as a base with some additions. There was lots of butter, white wine, garlic, thyme, carrots, fennel, and lemon wedges. The gravy it made was light and delightful. Actually would make a good “summer” roast if there is such a thing. I contributed cheddar mashed and Green Beans Almondine.

32 Likes

The fry looks perfect – at home?

No.

Here …

3 Likes

Love your idea of the pumpernickel crostini. Pumpernickel has so much personality, flavor-wise, that I would be blissfully content with those crostini even without the smoked salmon. Yum.

3 Likes

Chili made with black beans and honeynut squash (typically I use butternut). Pepita (pumpkin seed) garnish added later because we wanted crunch too.

Served with cheddar and hot pepper biscuits, not pictured, bought as an extra from our CSA.

26 Likes

Last night was reheated leftovers and newly-made broccolini:

25 Likes

John Waters was great – as to be expected. We had a couple of pre-show drinks (a Forbidden Chimney & a martini) & shared the latke with sour cream and apple butter,

a fantastic, light, airy chicken liver mousse with cranberry relish, chopped pistachios & toasted brioche,

and smoked salmon with “pumpernickel” (it wasn’t – just some dark colored fluffy bread with caraway flavor), capers, tomatoes, and onion.

A wonderful post-show Martinez at another bar, and apparently drunchies – I honestly did not remember making these last night after we got home until I looked at my pics today :smiley:

As for WFD tonight, I’m organizing the 7th or 8th potluck for my local cooking group, for which I need to set up everything by 5pm. I’ll be making some version of the Tuscan soup I made for the first one again & don’t expect to be taking home any leftovers :upside_down_face:

Can’t wait to see all the deliciousness folks will be bringing this time :yum:

18 Likes

Kids #2, #4 made it home yesterday afternoon, and the crust & pies turned out nicely. I used about 1.4x of Charlie’s recipe because he says it makes 2, 10-inch rounds and I wanted them to be 12 inch.

Dressed and ready for the oven:

At top is pepperoni, sautéed mushroom, caramelized onions. The bottom pie is fine slices of sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and (1/2) quartered green olives (this daughter doesn’t dig olives, green or black). Both pies are dual-layered, under and over the cheeses. I do tend to over-load, which is kind of a crime on these crusts.

Life lesson: Don’t use blue cheese stuffed olives if you don’t want blue cheese flavor. They were all I had on hand and I thought simply removing the blue cheese-like substance would have done with it. But it didn’t - the flavor permeated the olives.

On both pies the cheese shreds were about half-and-half whole milk mozzarella and fontina (I had forgotten that I’d used half the mozz brick recently and didn’t have enough). Then torn chunks of fresh mozz and a few tablespoons of fine parm shreds.

Here they are as-baked:

And a side-view, because top-down is kind of hard to see the edge crust. It was 1.5-2.5 inches tall, all around on both pies. Once we’d eat a piece down toward the edge, we’d pull it open, book style, and butter it.

If you make pizza at home and haven’t tried Charlie’s recipe (linked in my quote portion above), give it a shot. You do have to plan ahead, because the preferment/biga needs 12-24 hours. The preferment is all the flour, a bit of yeast, and most of the water. There are 3 separate rest/proof periods and you’ll need 3-3.5 hours from the time you do the first kneading (adding in remainder ingredients) until you’re ready to start forming the pies.

ETA - the recipe is linked above, but I also found it useful to watch him do it on this YT vid. I don’t knead by hand, though - I just knead it enough to get the remaining ingredients incorporated, then let the stand mixer do the work.

27 Likes

No shrimp or eggplant? Missed opportunity.

10 Likes

Assaulting that deceased equine, are we?

(You’ll have to imagine the Cockney accent, it’s not coming through well on text)

7 Likes

You… BEAT me to it? :rofl:

4 Likes

Looking at the Tomatoes I could easily “Not”.
Looks like Bunnicula sucked the Life Blood out of them!
Bunnicula

I’ll save the Pan Con Tomate for Tomate Season!

5 Likes

I’m always surprised when restaurants offer any fresh tomato dishes out of season, but some may have extra special providers? I’ve lucked out with sugar bomb and honey bomb (?) cherry tomatoes, tho they sure’d be a massive PITA to grate on a pa amb tomàquet :scream: