What's For Cinco de Mayo?

For me, it is “junk food” Tacos… freshly ground beef with spices (ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper), and a beef broth slurry (broth, tomato paste, cornstarch). Served up on fried Guerrero white corn tortillas with chopped onion, lettuce, and cilantro, with a slice of cheese and taco sauce made from Pace, Frank’s, fresh lime juice, and a dash of agave.

And of course tequila (margaritas and shooters).

2 Likes

3 Likes

A pot of pinto beans with chipotle in adobo, ezapote and beer + flour tortillas.
(Wanted refried but alas, no bacon!)

4 Likes

We went lazy . . . steak fajitas and chicken fajitas delivered. Not bad (and no prep, mess, cleanup).

2 Likes

I was going to cook dinner but after a couple of tequilas I lost my motivation. to cook. I did make queso fundido con chorizo that turned out great, a word I rarely use to describe my cooking efforts. I used a cast iron pan (10-11") on the stovetop, Sautéed some onions and chorizo then put mostly mozzarella and cheddar (cheeses I had on hand that were opened) and some fresh parley and just a touch of cumin. Cooked stovetop until bubbly and served with tortilla chips. Approached the quality of our favorite Tex-Mex place without the pricey Oaxacan cheeses they use.

3 Likes

Nothing. Cinco de Mayo sneaked up on me.

I had sushi. Not very traditional, I know.

1 Like

Well, it is still wintertime in the great white north.
You’re excused.

1 Like

Tortilla soup because I had a bunch of freshly made chicken stock and stopped by the Mexican market to pick up fresh corn tortillas which they didn’t have. They were late on their delivery so used corn tortillas that they had packaged in cut quarters for nachos. Not exact what I was hoping to get but didn’t really feel Iike going back later. All in all it worked fine. Picked up some jarred roasted poblano salsa and cilantro which worked great to flavor the stock

1 Like

How do you toast/fry them?

Used the microwave and the toaster oven to crisp them up. The microwave did a good job

Next time try brushing them with olive/veg oil and baking 375-400°F for 15+ minutes.