What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

We’re going to attempt another one. I’ll try to get my friend to join this board. Maybe we can make it a HOdown.

1 Like

Count me in. I have a near fetish like love for the nasty bits!

Maybe we should get a “NJ Nasty bits” thread going.

1 Like

Were you hanging out with charlie sheen that night or is that a bag of sugar in the corner? : )

Wait what the hell are nasty bits? I’m intrigued

1 Like

We can make this happen! I’m down to rock out a charcoal powered SEAFOOD hodown. I think Sept would be great… good weather to bbq. I can get clams too.

Some leftover clams from the other night…! By leftover I mean the rest of a few hundred at a family bbq.

3 Likes

According to Bourdain, the often tossed cuts of meat. Liver and organs, tripe, tongue, ears, etc, etc. You know, peasant food. What our grandparents ate.

I’m not in love with nasty bit cooking, but it has a time and a place. It also exposes the hypocrisy of most Americans. They’ll shriek in horror at liver and onions but scarf down hot dogs by the truckload.

To be fair it’s tough to eat liver and Lima beans during the seventh inning stretch.

1 Like

Slang for offal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It also exposes the hypocrisy of most Americans.

Someone pointed out a really funny one the other day.

“The native American used every part of the animal. So honorable.”

vs

“Ew I’m not eating chicken nuggets, it’s a gross process that uses scrap meat you wouldn’t otherwise eat!”

To be fair though, in reference to your original statement, hot dogs don’t use any organ meats or any off cuts, it’s just beef. (Well that’s the case for all beef dogs anyway)

3 Likes

Bad pic, but I finally cooked egg sacs from a couple of seabass I caught and cleaned a couple weeks ago. Very subtly tasty (no fishiness), and a great texture. I’ve been trying to waste less of the fish I keep, but truth be told I could do a better job. Without a separate freezer for racks/stocks I’m kind of limited.

And like joon said, no offal in hot dogs. Good hot dogs have quality ingredients going in.

2 Likes

I looooooove fish eggs! Koreans do cured/fermented fish eggs and intestines, they are absolutely delectable. We also eat things like sperm sacs and what not. All pretty tasty IMO.

2 Likes

You’re right that beef hot dogs do not use organ meats, but they certainly do not use the most desirable scraps. “Noses and toeses” as they say. :smiley:

Looks great! The one thing we lacked at the Bourdain BBQ was seafood.

OK. Put this under semi-homemade, or mostly not, or … I don’t care, but you’ll thank me.

Step 1 - Go to Don Pepe in Freehold and get the Don Pepe special. For $20, you get a whole quartered Peruvian roasted chicken (with lots of that creamy green sauce), a big order of Peruvian chicken fried rice, and a salad with their homemade creamy white dressing.

Step 2 - Bring the rice home and cut up about six chinese sausage and fry them up in a large frying pan. When cooked, add in the fried rice, toss a few times and enjoy.

And before I forget, the next best add-ins are canned or fresh pineapple and fresh cut beefsteak tomato, but add both cold to the warm rice off the heat.

7 Likes

And here I thought the best part of a fish was the eye balls.

This is fish sperm in a soup. Looks and tastes just like braiiiiiiinnss. If you’re not careful it could impregnate you.

4 Likes

Hmm…Sounds a little fishy to me!

:thinking:

2 Likes

Restaurant suggestions?

What kind of fish jizz is that? That’s quite a load lol

I haven’t seen fish sperm in the US, only in Korea. But then I don’t get fish soup out that often. I’ll ask around and let you know if I find any!

@corvette_johnny usually it’s cod or pollock. They’ll do a soup with sperm, eggs, and liver. (In addition to the fish)