What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Nice! Did you coffee rub those? Forgive me, I’m color blind and can’t see colors that well but I see a k cup lol. And the pic is at an angle making it even harder for me to make out the surface color.

Well, it is a different cut of bacon. He has unusual cuts like buckboard bacon marinated in molasses with a third less fat than slab bacon but not as lean or dry as Canadian bacon (which he also makes). He also makes smoked kielbasa bacon, which is very good, as well as pork shoulder bacon, and beef bacon. He is very reliable. You just have to give him a week’s notice, since it is a very small operation. Everything is smoked fresh to order.

That steak looks amazing.

1 Like

You can go either way, cj. If you are looking for anything specific, then order what you want. Otherwise, you can ask him to just make up a recommended 10 pound sampler. Just make sure he adds Andouille sausage and country ribs in the mix. Either way you can mention my name. I don’t think he has any other customers named Eli😁

If you do order, let me know how you liked it. That intoxicating smoky smell when you open the package is worth it. It also freezes very well.

Costco has some amazing cuts of meat & fish. Earlier in the week we got a beautiful 5 pound piece of tuna that we cut into several pieces and vacuum sealed. We had some tuna steak last night, and probably have about another 4 dinners. I’ve also gotten some nice filet mignon and lobster tails in the past. They also have the largest chicken breasts.

No, the coffee pod was strictly for size reference. I swear to God I was very tempted to espresso rub them but I did not. (Call me chicken)

@paryzer I swear I was on the fence between these steaks and a couple beautiful, huge, ahi tuna steaks. Their steaks and seafood are truly becoming amazing.

If you’ve never tried homemade coffee rubs I would highly recommend it. I’ve been making my own for a while but lately I’m buying a rub that is mixed already at foodtown. I add hickory salt on the steaks and it is a great combo. These were from father’s day and my dad inhaled both of the strip steaks! My ribeye up top was good too, but I ran out of rub, hence the color differences. The other side of the steak is rubbed down so I didn’t get the full flavor but still decent. My dad’s came out nicely.

3 Likes

%20(%40gcaggiano91)%20%E2%80%A2%20Instagram%20photos%20and%20videos

Chicken coated in seasoned flour, lightly pan-fried in butter and olive oil. Topped with asparagus and Swiss cheese, given a quick heat in the oven. It is an old family favorite. My mom has made it for years, naming it “Chicken St. Charlie” due to the fact she used to order a similar dish at a now-defunct New York restaurant called St. Charlie’s. The original cheese was provolone, but I like to swap it out for Swiss or Mozz from time to time.

4 Likes

Mrs. P made a very refreshing boneless quail breast salad with grilled pineapple, honey dew, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, cantaloupe, arugula, sharp cheddar cheese, with a teriyaki marinade :yum:

4 Likes

does anyone else feel like next ho-down should be at casa Eli at this point?

5 Likes

Thanks Mr. Met, but there are a lot of great cooks on this thread.

I know this doesn’t belong here, but I didn’t know where to put it. Mrs. P was too sick to cook, or to go out to eat, so we decided to use Uber Eats tonight, for the first time, and order gourmet takeout from an excellent tiny little restaurant in Montclair called Le Salbuen. We are so happy that they partnered with Uber Eats so we can enjoy their excellent food at home, instead of their cute, but cramped little restaurant where people keep banging their chairs into you every time they get up. I was very impressed with the Uber Eats experience. Montclair is about 20 minutes away from us with no traffic, and the whole process from ordering through the app to delivery took 38 minutes during rush hour (2 minutes under the original estimated time). The food was still warm when it arrived. You can follow the whole process on the app (even tracking a little car delivering your food on the map). I can’t wait until Uber Eats partners with more of my favorite local restaurants.
We started off with very flavorful homemade Portuguese Chorizo sausage with sauteed red onions and a miniature baguette.

We also had magnificent Hudson Valley duck tacos with purple kimchi & cilantro lime emulsion.

For entrees I had the outstanding mushroom medley with shallots, truffles, capers, chianti, and baba ganoush, over thin zucchini noodles. I could take a bath in that sauce :yum: We used the tiny baguette to soak up the remaining sauce.

Mrs. P had delicious Asian crusted sweet potato, with sesame stir fried veggies, farro, seaweed, and avocado.

A beautiful husband and wife team own this restaurant. The wife is a carnivore, & the husband is a vegan. The menu is split with carnivore and vegan replicas of each dish.

I tried to make the best of the pictures since the food was in plastic containers and not the fancy plates you would get at a restaurant.

6 Likes

2018-07-03%2016_56_48-Eating%20New%20Jersey%20(%40gcaggiano91)%20%E2%80%A2%20Instagram%20photos%20and%20videos%20-%20Opera

Artichoke Francaise from last night. Made these as an appetizer.

3 Likes

Those look incredible! Mind sharing the recipe here or on the How Do You Artichoke thread?

1 Like

Sure, well, I have to type this from memory because I didn’t use a recipe.

What you’ll need for the serving above: 1 can of quartered artichoke hearts, the juice of one large lemon, flour, salt, pepper, butter, and olive oil.

1. Coat the artichoke pieces in flour after it has been liberally seasoned with salt and black pepper.
  2. Heat a skillet (I prefer cast iron) with olive oil and two tablespoons of butter.
  3. Skillet must be hot enough to hear a sizzle when placing your first artichoke in. The last thing you want is for them to get soggy. Shake the pieces to remove excess flour. Once skillet is hot, cook the pieces until they are browned, then turn them over.
  4. At this point I generally drizzle a little more oil and maybe a dollop of butter just to add some more liquid.
  5. Once the other side has been browned, I remove the skillet from the heat and add the juice of one large lemon.
  6. Give it a shake back and forth to prevent sticking. Dish is ready once the lemon juice is pretty much dissolved.

The whole process takes about 15 minutes. It’s very easy.

I hope this works. I am horrible at typing recipes for dishes I created. :smiley:

Feel free to share on the other board if you would like. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Anyone grilling anything good today? We just have a small gathering (3 people lol). The plan is some grilled chicken (which we got pre-marinated from H-mart), burgers, homemade potato chips, and bruschetta. Very late shopper. Went to get the burgers today and they didn’t have much, so I bought a pack of chopped meat and made my own.

I hate the heat, so this will be an indoor BBQ. Got a solid grill pan and some cast iron to do the trick.

I just did some burgers, hot dogs and chicken legs and thighs for lunch.
Going to a BBQ down the block tonight before the fireworks.

I grilled outside and was greeted with a nice blast of heat everytime i lifted the lid

I’m greeted with a not so nice blast of heat when I open the sliding door to get out to the grill.

2 Likes

Some shots from today. The first is a Bhel Puri I whipped up. Took leftover Basmati rice and some crunchy Indian snacks from an Indian-themed event at my job last week and mixed in some homemade onion chutney. Served cold. Then I did some Korean marinated chicken from H-Mart. All told we had those two things, bruschetta, homemade potato chips, cheeseburgers, and an arugula salad with extra virgin olive oil and pear balsamic. An odd spread but it worked!

(Don’t mind the snowman paper plates! It was all we had!)

bbq1

bbq2

bbq3

3 Likes

I did 8 racks of ribs for a barbecue we were invited to, shoulda took a picture - they were pretty good.

2 Likes