What Wine Did You Drink Today #2? 2021-now

Grignas-les-Adhemar. All of yer white Rhones inside one glass! Nice one for aperitivo hour.

3 Likes

KB, a consistently rewarding pinot. This one a SV 2019. They are getting to be a $$ stretch for me, though.

2 Likes

I’ll have the bruschetta too!

Ridge 1996 York Creek Zinfandel. Lacking a bit of its original power but none of its grace. Zins do age gracefully.

5 Likes

Newton was heavily damaged by the 2020 fires. I’ve heard they are on the road to recovery but I don’t know where they stand. This unfiltered chard is a stalwart and I hope they can continue it. Not inexpensive but a great value.

PS - note the Comte on the right – hand carried from Pouilley-les-Vignes near Besancon.

4 Likes

Are you allowed to bring cheese into the U.S. ? Or was this contraband?

I’ve had quizzical/amusing looks from U.S. Customs when I’ve told them I was bringing in cake! I always declare what I have in my “comestible bag”.

Vacuum sealed by the cheesemonger, he assured us Comte would pass muster with the US Dept of Agriculture at the border. My understanding is that certain cheeses, like Morbier, are prohibited. Very confusing.

Saturday night supper

2 Likes

Earlier this month Saturday:

or

Menu’s wine list gave no vintage.

2 Likes

How was it?

Liked it a lot. Juicy, soft. Ordered it because it was most appealing idea on the short by-the-glass list, not to complement dinner.

Gorgeous! Has all the key characteristics of an Alsace Gewurztraminer Grand Cru except the ’ lychee ’ component was mysteriously missing?!

3 Likes

Apparently terroir giveth, and taketh.

1 Like

Attended a going-away party at a relative’s home. Since the wine was way better than the food, I’ll just post the former!

• Chateau Lafite Rothschild 2014
  • Ferrer Bobet Priorat 2010
  • Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Auslese Gold-cap
  • Chateau D’Yquem 1996
4 Likes

Back in the mid '00s, when my income was more predictable, I’d tag along with friends on a day-trip through Sonoma to pick up wine allocations. I wasn’t on the list at Rafanelli, but they let non-members buy two or three bottles during a visit. This 2005 zinfandel has aged beautifully, retaining its black and red fruit, tannins soft, no trace of oxidation or other flaws. It’s rare to find a zin this old in such good condition (my basement is 60F year round, so that certainly helped).

Then came the 2008 financial crisis, and that was the end of our Sonoma visits.

4 Likes

I love Rafanelli’s zins, but actually like their cabs even more.

Brisket44, 2023 Napa Mourvèdre rose.

3 Likes

10 percent ABV. In a can. It was in the fridge. I did pour it into a glass. I was out of Prosecco.

1 Like

How was it? I think I had this in a brunch cocktail at Bar Mezzana, but don’t know how it is on its own.

Innocuous. I’m going to have another tonight over ice with crème de pamplemousse added.

2 Likes