What Wine Did You Drink Today #2? 2021-now

Nice find ;-). I keep one of those “Ah So” wine openers around for bottles with older corks. Saves a lot of fishing/filtering.

1 Like

The cork looked solid so I just tried my Screwpull. When the crumbling started after the cork was half out, I switched to the Ah-so but it just pushed everything into the bottle. Next old bottle will start with the Ah-so. Every once in a while I think about getting a Durand, which combines a screw and the two finger puller, but the price is like a case of wine.

*HE ‘RED AND WHITE’ MARGAUX SHOW!

Ever since Covid restrictions were lifted and restaurant dine-in has become part of our daily life again. I have started to engage in more and more culinary related activities. One such event involves a weekly ‘Chinese food‘ dinner gathering amongst foodie friends and relatives.

Initially, the main focus was indeed centred on food. Wines brought along for the ride were treated mostly as supporting casts. However, unbeknown and slow to recognised by the food-centric gourmands in our group, this weekly event has somehow morphed into a ‘Vino’ affair instead. An outcome generated by the insertion of much better quality wines from some participants. Suddenly, the wines commanded a front row seat and became the stars that outshines the food!

Tonight’s event was another such scenario. After enjoying weeks of wine orgies fashioned by the likes of Gran Reserva Riojas/Priorats, Super Tuscans, Grand Cru Alsaces, Classed Growth Bordeaux……etc., and culminating in last week’s climax brought about by a First Growth bottle of 1998 Haut Brion. This time, we decided to elevate things up a few notches more……How about indulging in two bottles of Red and White from First Growth Bordeaux Estate?! Our choices settled on the esteemed and illustrious Chateau Margaux. A 1999 Chateau Margaux and a 1998 Pavillon Blanc de Chateau Margaux. ( plus a bottle of 2014 Leoville-las-cases, Clos du Marquis as backup……just in case?! ). Once again, the wines ended up costing more than the meal, trumped the food effortlessly and shifted most of our attention and enjoyment away from the edibles.

1999 was a fine vintage year for Margaux. True to its ‘consistent form‘, the Chateau offered a seductive and fabulously perfumed wine. Taking over a couple of hours to open-up, the wine exudes aroma of black and red fruits/currants, vanilla and a nice shot of dark chocolate. Acidity was balanced; medium to full bodied, with a formidable mouthfeel of fine, cedar tannin. Austere, complex and concentrated and IMO still has some ageing potential.

The 100% Sauvignon Blanc, 1998 Pavillon Blanc, was one of the best Sauv Bl I have tasted and indeed worthy of being called best white in the Medoc. Green and flinty with a lively bouquet of white peach, Chinese plum and lemon/lime citrusy notes. The typical grassy element was minimal. Wine was well balanced, smooth and well rounded with crisp acidity. Almost Burgundy-like, probably due to its oaky component. A very classy wine!

As for the food. Since the venue was O’Mei……Yup! you guessed it right! It’s back to the good-old ‘Giant Lobster Multiple Ways‘ routine……AGAIN!..tasty but to some of us, becoming repetitive and boring! Sigh!!

However, based on taste and the evaluation criteria laid down by Michelin, this superb and delectable creation by O’mei, IMO, should deserve a serious mention in future edition of Toronto Michelin Recommended Guide for Chinese Restaurant!!

Lastly, for a change, maybe time for me to form a more humble and less profligate ‘ Noodle and Congee ‘ splinter group?! Ha!
IMG_0021

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1999 Chateau Musar. My SO and daugther indulged me with a half-bottle for birthday brunch at Harvest in Harvard Square. My first taste of this storied wine from Lebanon. Though popped and poured, it was immediately graceful and elegant. A considerable amount of sediment no doubt diminished its concentration (as the rather pale color hints), but really a beautiful wine.

3 Likes

Bordeaux futures are available for pre-sale for the 2020 and 2021 Pavillon red and whites. Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on them. I’d probably have to wait until I’m about 75 to open them!

Get a case and open one every year starting in about 5 :wink:

1 Like

Unless there’s something in the ’ Margaux ’ name that makes it a must have for you?! Otherwise, for the price one is paying for a second wine and a luxury ’ Sauvignon Blanc ', IMHO, there are better and cheaper choices out there. A great Sancerre from Boulay or a Cloudy Bay from New Zealand can be equally enjoyable at a fraction of the cost!

2 Likes

Polished off the remainder of this 2018 Kit’s Killer Cab from Clif Napa.

Exemplary wine from Clif, if a tad expensive. Leather, blackberries, raspberry jam, velvety finish.

2 Likes

1997 Mount Eden Estate Chsrdonnay. The best aged chardonnay of my life! Opened for our 34 anniversary drunk a day late w/razor clams and salad.

Pretty amazing conincidence of wine and dish being absolutely spot on for our anniversary.

9 Likes

I was in Europe a few weeks ago. Had this bottle at a Spanish tapas place in Glasgow called Malaga. Pretty versatile and went well with the tapa ‘mains’ like albondigas.

4 Likes

Happy Anniversary - all looks delicious!

1 Like

Beautiful label too!

1 Like

1990 Costanti Brunello. Started tight. Opened into opulent, rich ripe wine, still youthful. With butter basted sirloin. Lots of local veggies.

8 Likes

This is lovely! The Cabernet and Shiraz play off each other very well, so it is tannic enough to cut through the richness of tonight’s steak dinner but has some berries and spice to enjoy as well. Good stuff!

5 Likes

How would you say it compares with some of the other Penfold “bins”? I loved RWT (“bin 798”). I know Grange (“bin 95”) is supposed to be the apotheosis of Penfolds, but I find it very distinctive, and a bit of an acquired taste (one that I have not acquired).

Having not had The Grange nor Bin 798, I can’t speak to that as a comparison. I have had the more value priced Bin offerings (8, 9, and 28) and I think this one demonstrates more structure and balance (the Bin 8 would be the most direct one to compare it to of those 3). Out of the bottle, it was a little tight, but after an hour or so it opened up some, so you could notice more berry flavors and pepper. I have another bottle that I think I may open for Christmas!

3 Likes

Tonight’s meme brought to by Bota Box Pinot Noir.

2 Likes