what will you ALWAYS order out rather than make at home?

the op ed read like satire but I am afraid it wasn’t

Chinese bbq duck. There is a Sino-Vietnamese supermarket near me that does nice big ducks for about $14 (Canadian). The bones go in the stockpot afterwards.

1 Like

No, not at all. It’s like nobody ever listened to Aldo Leopard.

Yes, I do know. But the ones in my house are just Daddy-long-legs and other non-venomous types. I do throw out the scorpions – which aren’t the really nasty kind anyway, although their bite hurts. But I wasn’t advocating for spiders. Just pointing out I find them more beneficial than threatening.

They may just be biding their time. Pigs may very well take a longer view than humans do. I think it is generally agreed that elephants do.

Yes, I agree with this, and “whose on top” when it comes to the food chain is just circumstantial. I wouldn’t count on it! (There are pigs who have eaten farmers they didn’t like…everything but the dentures)

should be Aldo Leopold of course

Stinky tofu.
Riz au lait chez l’Ami Jean.
Fried chipirones.

Crab legs. Lobster. Especially lobster. Crab legs are just sort of a pain and take forever to eat and make a lot of mess - I’d rather let the restaurant deal with all that.

But lobster. Can’t do it. I did it once. Never again. In fact, come to think of it, I don’t believe I’ve eaten lobster since that long-ago day when I brutally boiled a live lobster to death.

So just the crab legs then.

EDIT: You know, I just realized that I had managed to forget that horrible day. Hadn’t thought about it in decades. Until now. Thank you, Hungry Onion, now I’m gonna have nightmares tonight! LOL!

re: Pigs

Pigs are already known to be omnivorous, and not the least bit finicky when it comes to biting the hand that feeds them - and chewing it up and swallowing it and then going back for more.

That’s why it was such a big deal when Dorothy falls into the pig pen in the beginning of the Wizard of Oz.

I did it once too, 40 years ago. I do it eat, but I am not wild about it. I don’t know if that one time, with my heart practically beating out of my chest ruined my appreciation or not.

Crab though I love. I used to go to Chinatown in SF to buy crab and I’d ask them to kill it for me before I took it home. They thought I was crazy. But I’ve been able to maintain my love for it thanks to not having to murder it myself.

Yeah, that one experience pretty much turned me off from lobster altogether. Its not the killing it that was the problem - it was the boiling it alive thing. Which I have repeatedly been told is the only safe way to kill a lobster and not get poisoned by it later.

Really? REALLY?

Well then that is just something I won’t eat any more.

I’ve read that icing it down for 15 minutes beforehand results in minimal clattering about in the pot - only 20 seconds! Which is at least 19 seconds too long.

Really, lobster tail is usually pretty tough. Which I can’t help but attribute to the whole boiled-alive thing. I’ve been totally off lobster ever since that day.

I do still love me some crab though.

I will sound like a total baby, but … at Wegmans, you can buy live lobsters and have the seafood counter steam them for you. As I was walking off, I was tearing up - practically having ordered that particular lobster to die. Ha. Didn’t wanna do the dirty work, I guess.

1 Like

pigs are smart and closer to humans via dna than just about anything else we eat. (not counting monkeys, which do not grace many western dinner tables.)

lololol. what an arbitrary line to draw. how is a crab “lesser” than a lobster? they are both just giant sea bugs.

and how on earth is a fresh- cooked lobster going to “poison” you?

this is truly some irrational hooey. sorry.

I was off pork for about 6 months after “Babe”… but hypocrisy won out eventually.

I go out for anything deep-fried. No fryer at home and I really need to limit my intake.
Also, good Indian food cooked in a Tandoor. Naan especially. And Injera and Ethiopian, too.

1 Like

Indian. And now I want that for dinner.

Same here. I tried to have it homemade at home once, took me hours.
His is the best in town.

Roasted Chinese pork ribs, roasted duck and barbecue pork. Deep fried food too. Pastries and cakes.

+1 to Mexican. I’ve tried and failed miserably.

I was having a hard time coming up with something but then I realized (as strange as this may be) …

I love French dip sandwiches, order them regularly, but I have never made one at home.

I’m not sure how I’d go about making the jus unless I was cooking some whole roast.

That is some truly insanely good rice pudding.

The last time I made lobster, I put them in the freezer for a couple of hours before I cooked them and I steamed them instead of boiling. No clattering at all, from what I remember.

1 Like