What to do with frozen mixed berries

I have a big bag of frozen mixed berries in the freezer. If my berries look like they won’t last another day and/or I don’t have time to finish them, I pop them in the freezer. So I now have about 5-6 cups of mixed berries. Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries.

Other than making a mixed berry pie what would you do with them? I don’t drink smoothies or any blended drinks so that’s not an option.

Mmmm. I’d make a summer pudding.

It is essentially sliced brioche layered with macerated berries and their juices and then pressed in a bowl (or form) for a while. The juices soak all through the brioche essentially forming a cake/pudding.

It is so good and easy / and used a lot of berries.

3 Likes

Berry sauce for pound cake or ice cream?

1 Like

If brioche isn’t readily available, plain pound cake is a good alternative for summer pudding.

Other options:
Berry trifle.
Mixed berry compote - or cook it down further, add pectin, and you have jam.
Fruit leather.

1 Like

Yogurt.

2 Likes

Smoothie

OP wrote: “I don’t drink smoothies or any blended drinks” and placed the thread under Baking, Sweets.

Oops. I just saw the title

Make cakes and cupcakes using Martha Stewart’s cranberry cobbler recipe. That’s what I do with extra berries. It’s quick and easy and very good, in an after-school or office snack kind of way. More of a cake than a cobbler, and it’s simple to double the recipe.

1 Like

I do like the jam idea. I make a lot of jam but never thought about trying mixed berry jam. Maybe a mini version of summer pudding would work. It’s just me so a big dessert won’t get eaten. When I make pies I make the little 4 or 5-inch size. Thanks for all the ideas!

Might be a good idea to bake in muffin cup sizes that I could pop in the freezer.

Easy and quick chia seed jam- no need for lots of added sugar. You can also freeze it. I liked this blended to break up the chia seeds and have a smoother texture

Use ramikens or small oven safe dishes for a quick berry crumble, just divide the recipe for fewer servings (or prep and freeze before baking, take out of freezer and bake, justvadd to baking time)

Of course add them into muffins, pancakes, oatmeal, quick breads…

Make a little pastry and then a berry strudel.

Perfect to keep a pitcher of sangria nice and chilled!! (We often do this when going to the beach)

2 Likes

i like wn sonata’s recipe for berry crumble or berry crisp
I use Costco’s frozen mixed berries, add the juice and zest of a lemon, 3 tablespoon of starch to the berries, top with mixture of ( 1 cup of old fashion rolled oats, 1/2 dehydrated coconut flakes, 1/2 cup sliced almond , 1.5 cup coconut brown sugar, ( not as sweet) , 1/2 cup of almond flour, 3/4 c of all purpose flour , salt, nutmeg and 1 stick cold butter, cubed pulsed tell it resembles coarse meal)
Pop in oven 350 degrees for so for 45 min, serve after 30 min with whipped cream, milk to ice cream

Eton Mess is a dessert usually made with just strawberries but it works with mixed berries.

Just mix with whipped double cream and broken up bits of meringue (shop bought is fine). I’d also crush a few into almost a sauce for drizzling over the top.