What should I do with 30 lbs of navel oranges?

Or a car, or a shed, or …

Squirrels can get into a LOT of places, not just attics.

Point taken.:slightly_smiling_face:

Could make pomanders.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.almanac.com/content/how-make-pomander-balls%3Famp

2 Likes

Yes - good one! Alternatively, fresh orange/tangerine peel, with cloves and cinnamon, simmered on the stove, makes a good potpourri, or a base for baklava syrup. :yum:

1 Like

Thank you all for the great ideas! Its quite relieving to have all these options. We are actually eating the oranges much faster than expected. I am now considering making marmalade for some of the ones that’s left. Sorbet appeals as well though I will probably wait till the weather warms up a bit.

I watched a video of a woman who had a big bowl of orange segments to which she added 2 eggs and some fresh yeast. She put it thru a blender then strained it back into the bowl. The video was foreign so I’m guessing from watching it. To the orange liquid she kept mixing in flour(?) to a slightly sticky dough. She made 6 or so big balls of dough, coated them in oil and nestled them into a tube pan to rise. After rising she used a pastry bag to squirt Nutella down into each ball. After baking she brushed it with honey and sprinkled pistachios over.
It certainly used a lot of oranges and I’ve never seen a similar recipe.
Anyone familiar with this bread?

1 Like

Please post the video.

1 Like

Some really excellent ideas on this thread!

I periodically have a similar situation (I’m in a citrus friendly climate) and two of my favorite recipes are the clementine fennel chicken from Ottolenghi’s Jerusalem and Claudia Roden’s orange cake, from her 1960’s classic A Book of Middle Eastern Food. Both recipes use the whole fruit (except seeds), which I appreciate.

The cake recipe’s first step is to boil the oranges until soft (which can take 1-2 hours) and then puree them, but I have found you can boil a big batch at once and then freeze the puree in recipe sized portions (I do 8oz). Not only does the frozen puree last forever, but having it on hand already prepared makes an already pretty easy recipe quicker and easier.

The chicken recipe calls for clementines but I’ve used many tangerine/clementine varieties and they all work.

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/roasted-chicken-with-clementines-arak

1 Like

I can’t post the video as it popped up randomly, was in a foreign language and foreign alphabet☹️ So no way to search.

I read that Nigella Lawson’s recipe of the day is for Bitter Orange Tart. Apparently a complete co-incidence that it’s today.

1 Like

I searched “orange nutella bread” and came up with this one, which leaves to my imagination how they got the two large cups of orange, but I’m sure someone with a lot of oranges could find a way :slight_smile: It might be a similar recipe, or not, I can’t tell.

It’s in Hindi, but it looks like she clearly organized the procedure and shows quite a clear printed ingredient list in our alphabet. “Maida” is a fine white Indian flour that’s a bit like our cake flour, but I’m sure you could use all-purpose too.

2 Likes

It’s not easy finding recipes using metric measurement!

This cake uses 1 whole orange and the glaze also requires 1 orange.

1 Like

@Harters Her tweet and IG post language are a little more political.
Here is the recipe (keeping the politics off HO)

Adding Delia’s Ginger Nuts (Ginger nuts are called Ginger Snaps in North America- play on words in the tweet )

1 Like

Yes that looks like what I saw, dif letters tho. I think the one I saw was more Asian. Thanks!

Orange and orange juice is a nice addition to vinaigrettes for your salads. There’s also a great quick red onion pickle recipe with orange juice and vinegar. These quick refrigerator pickles are tangy, mildly sweet and great in tacos, wraps, or any hearty meaty dish. Orange can also work just as well in roast chicken or other roast bird recipes. Cut a few slices of wedges and either as to the cavity or lay out down and sit your birds on top. Adds a lovely citrusy note.

Growing up we always had at least a giant box of others around for Chinese New Year. We had to buy a juicer to use it all up.

1 Like

Peel and sliced oranges, fan the slices in a circle on a salad plate. Top with a dollop of mascarpone that hou have sweetened with honey, and drizzle pomegranate molasses or thick, aged balsamic over the cheese and fruit for a refreshing dessert…

If you are in danger of falling TOO far behind, I would supreme the oranges and freeze them in containers or baggies. They may not look like much once thawed, but should still be tasty.

1 Like

Not 30 pounds but several neighbors with ripening orange/ mandarine/tangerine trees so I appreciate the ideas.

I also happen to be packing boxes for hungry people and food banks, and I always wonder why fresh fruit and veg aren’t on lists in an area where they are so abundant. I’ll see if they could use some.

What’s The Difference Between Oranges, Mandarins, Satsumas, Clementines, Tangerines?

3 Likes

Maybe they buy them shortly before distribution so they don’t run into spoilage issues. We volunteer with a group that makes and distributes food and other things to the homeless every week, and while they take donations of many kinds of things (socks, clothes, eyeglasses, books, sanitary products, dry goods and other essentials) they buy the fruit that’s to be distributed the day before so it’s fresh.

But if you can arrange the timing for drop-off to align with their distribution schedule, I’m sure they’d be happy to have fresh produce.

(As an aside, one surprising thing that is much appreciated is reusable bags we all seem to be swimming in these days.)

1 Like

It’s also handling and storage.

Fresh fruits and veggies bruise easily, and transporting 30 lbs of, say, oranges is very different than, say, 30 boxes of cereal or 30 cans of soup, neither of which needs to special care and handling for transport.

That’s hopeful! The place I’m delivering is asking for "boxes " but I’d love to use my grocery store plastic bags.

I’ve always assumed fresh fruit and veg were trickier, but folks are always suggesting it, so who knows?

There is an organization called “gleaners” around here that seems to specialize in this.