What’s your trusty favourite pepper mill ?

My pepper mill is a Verity Southall. It has been in continuous use for 50 years. It came from the Peppermill restaurant in Reno. No I am not the one who purloined it.

2 Likes

I have a Vic Firth pepper mill, and I like it.
Fletchers Mill has purchased the Vic Firth Gourmet

So it’s not refillable?

1 Like

Yeah, but if one is to buy 6 of them as a pack, then it is ~$20, so it is about $3 each.

1 Like

I have been using a Turkish coffee grinder as a pepper mill for at least 20 years with no problems. Grinders don’t really care what they’re grinding.

2 Likes

No, they are not.

I had to Google Image this brand, and I yhink I inherited as set of S & P!

Do yours look like the Space Needle?

I have a cheapo one I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond years ago that has multiple grind settings and serves us well. The MIL gave us a fancy brass and copper one many ages ago that broke and the roommate has never figured out how to take it apart.

No they look like these except a lighter reddish wood.

I have one too, I keep szechuan peppercorns in it. Not too fancy though.

OXO works well enough for me. Mine is black but it’s this design.

3 Likes

That’s the one I have! I like it too. Loads easily and I like how easy it is to adjust the grind.

1 Like

Me, too. Simply utilitarian and inexpensive.

1 Like

How much do you like it? I like my pepper mill a lot, and I know Peugeot pepper mills are considered very good. However, sometime when I step back and think about it… these pepper mills are expensive. $50-100 for a pepper mill. The oxo pepper grinders do seem to be in a nicer price point ($15-20) for many people.

I had an old inherited wooden grinder (no name) and a Peugeot that didn’t work very well. I don’t recall ever throwing it away but probably did. For at least the last 20 (?) years I’ve just been using the McCormick plastic grinder, which grinds well enough for me, although I admit the adjustment from fine to coarse grind, and back, isn’t very user friendly. The few times I’ve bought fancier peppercorns like Tellicherry or what not, I’ve found I can get it open and refill. But mostly I just use the stock stuff.

For those with the mill situated at the top of the vessel (Oxo, Ikea, Drogheria & Alimentari), do you leave the mill standing upside down? So that fragmented corns don’t get mixed in with wholes?

It might just be coincidence, but I once gave McCormick a somewhat grumpy suggestion via their web portal that they should make the cap flat so it would stand up, upside down, on its own. They had rounded caps and it would fall over on its own, so I had to keep it in a coffee cup. Maybe 6 months later they came out with flat rather than rounded caps.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with this picture? If you buy the grinder with salt, it’s $20 with free delivery in 2 days, but if you buy it with pepper, you pay for delivery so it costs you almost twice as much, and you wait longer for delivery

Third party seller? Amazon is a mine-field of third-party sellers (and drop shippers) these days.

2 Likes

Why are your prices higher than mine? Anyway, these are different models. The Mess-free model is $7 more. Not sure if this comes into play for your question. I do think what you see is simply a difference of third-party pricing difference, like two stores selling at different price points.

When looking at only Amazon.com as the primary seller, then they are the same to me.

Only one left in stock! Ya gotta buy it now!
I paid less than $9 for my OXO a few years ago in a real store.