What’s on your mind?

SEO is trying to ensure that your content comes up early in someone’s search. It’s a marketing tool. Here is more information than you ever wanted:

3 Likes

Since Brave [like ddg] doesn’t track I was hoping to better understand what nasty tracking you experienced.

What is best search engine or browser is wholly subjective. It depends on what the user is looking for.

For the problem of tracking, sign out of all google accounts, clear the cache, and then search what you need to search. Then clear the cache again.
If you don’t have a dedicated ip then that’s a great advantage too.

Firefox is probably the best of the browsers when it comes to “tracking prevention” however, it is INCOMPATIBLE WITH GMAIL & GOOGLE. I could NOT send photographs or word documents to anyone from my GMAIL so it was quite problematic for me … I had to RECOVER my gmail account !!

I had a terrible time with my Gmail and Google. So I had to remove Firefox.

Microsoft is probably the worst. Nobody could pay me to use that browser or website or whatever it is called.

Not for me. I’ve used all three for pretty much the entire time each has been in existence.

1 Like

I see your Aussie slang list, and raise you the monster sized list of British slang (a few of which overlap with our southern convict cousins):

3 Likes

Waiting for developments in Facebook’s rebranding.

There’s one great use of the Microsoft browser: it helps you download another browser. lol.
Firefox is not a great choice for privacy either. It’s not stuffed with a thousand scripts like Chrome is, but Firefox is not a specifically trustworthy browser. They ganged up with others against Trump during those last few weeks before the election. I’m not for or against any politician, but Firefox sided with one politician which is against their professed neutrality.

2 Likes

Do you have a source for this?

1 Like

The idea that Firefox changed voters’ minds is silly.
You don’t need a browser to know which way the wind blows.

1 Like

I am 100% Spanish so I do not mess with foreign politics.

We have our own chaos (kaos) …

There is Microsoft Edge … I believe this is one, you are referring too.

The issue against them is that they want to control one´s passwords and pin numbers. NEVER happen. This as far as I am concerned is over stepping boundaries.

Thank you for your views on browsers.

FireFox is widely acknowledged as one of the best browsers for “privacy”
FireFox - nor Edge - nor Chrome - no browser “ganged up” for or against any thing or any one.
Browsers display the pages from the site you choose to visit.
questioning ‘neutrality’ of a web browser is completely wrong.

1 Like

There was a lot of them those days. Here’s some I found. https://gizmodo.com/mozilla-calls-for-sites-to-go-beyond-just-deplatforming-1846027331
https://blog.mozilla.org/en/mozilla/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/
These might support the core idea I was talking about. Never thought I would be talking about this on a forum. :smile:

I respect your opinion. However, the view of the chief of an organization is the way his browser goes. My answer above to SmallH has some evidence about collective decisions made for or against people.
I am using Firefox for decades, and currently typing this message on it too. That’s because of the less amount of scripts running underneath.
Not only browsers, everything on the internet, with just a few exceptions, gang up for or against political matters. They call it by other names. lol. They say they are trying to “protect democracy, protect the society” etc etc., on some occasions which is the case no doubt. But at some other instances it’s purely political. “You don’t like my politician then I block you under the pretext of protecting people.”
And when a browser is untrustworthy then that actually matters for those who are worried about it. Because you will never know when they would harvest your data and sell them to others who are interested.
I am not particularly interested in any politician or political party in the US. Just my observation.

1 Like

This does not prove ‘ganging up’ prior to the election; rather, it is a short reflection on an important point: What are the responsibilities of media platforms when we are dealing with violent insurrectionists and hate speech? They are not advocating or stating what they do, but asking an essential ethical question. Moreover, they are likely responding to Twitter’s own deplatforming of Trump.

Media literacy is more important than ever. That’s what’s on my mind.

1 Like

You said:

But both of the links you posted are from January 2021. There’s nothing in them about “ganging up” at all. And the measures Mozilla suggests are absolutely reasonable: reveal who’s funding what, and how the algorithms work. I also don’t think it’s possible to deplatform someone from a browser (like Firefox) as opposed to an app (like Twitter). You don’t need to sign in to a browser, so the browser doesn’t know who you are.

1 Like

I’m probably not in favour of deplatforming bigots, except as it might contravene the law (as it often does in the UK). I want their bigotry out there, in the open for all to see. We win when bigotry is exposed and challenged, not when we make the mistake of letting them hide it away.

1 Like
  1. Typically more speech is usually the answer to bad speech. But…
  2. Private industry decides what’s best for them.

I don’t accept that this is wholely true.

In the UK, there was (and still is) a far right, racist political party, the British National Party. In the early 2000s, it gained some minor success, winning seats on councils and securing two European Parliament seats. It had reached a position of popular support , although still very small, where it was invited to participate in one edition of the BBC’s weekly current affairs programme, Question Time. It is generally accepted (except probably by them), that their leader’s performance under direct questioning by other panel contributors, was so poor that it had a direct influence on the decline and almost total disappearance of the party within a couple of years. People power in action, to my mind.