What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

It works IF your salmon is really thick. But agreed…so not necessary.

1 Like

If you sub evaporated milk for heavy cream you will have much less fat in your dish and some of the “garlicky” components are much more fat soluble than water soluble and so those flavor compounds will be much more pronounced in evaporated milk and also will be very differently distributed in your mouth with less fat - even cooking it longer might not change it drastically.

1 Like

I totally get that, but it was more that he made a roux and then added minced garlic right before the milk, with almost no cooking, rather than the reduction in fat. There was still a decent amount from the cream he did use, anyway.

(post deleted by author)

Sláinte!

1 Like

Store bought gnocchi, Italian sausage, onion, garlic, sun dried tomato, spinach alfredo sauce with parm and parsley. Pansanella salad. Manhattan and wine. It’s been eons since I cooked gnocchi, it was not pillowy but it was ok and the sauce was great. Maybe I should of cooked it another minute?
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.

18 Likes

Mmmm raw garlic :smile:

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner is a simple meatloaf, mixed vegetables and baked potatoes. Yes, this is the second night in a row I served baked potatoes as a starch. I purchased way too many potatoes when they were on sale.

14 Likes

That pizza, to coin an oft used phrase, nom nom!!! :yum:, sure looks delish…

1 Like

Like almost everyone else, the night before Thanksgiving has always been takeout. However, since we are both working tomorrow :angry: and will be celebrating on Friday, I figured why not cook up a batch of my famous chicken cutlets.

Drinksgiving? Sure. Bombay Martini followed by a Bombay and Tonic to drink.

21 Likes

I love having a big batch of baked potatoes around for reheating/repurposing. It’s a great time saver.
Your post reminds me I have’t done that in a while. I should.

5 Likes

I’m letting myself take a vacation from my sobriety today but will be back on the wagon tomorrow. Alcohol is not my friend. I have never worked over Thanksgiving weekend. We’re retired now - no kids. I always traded working on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day etc. in exchange for a 4 day Thanksgiving holiday. (Saved me from having to go to my in-laws lol).

4 Likes

Depends on which pasta brands you usually buy. I would say it’s better than DeCecco (which is my go-to here, where there are not a lot of choices).

1 Like

I’m late to the party on the pasta front. Grew up in the midwest. Amish egg noodles were usually what we had. Discovering Rao’s spaghetti has been a revelation and I’ll never buy Prince again (although in the 80’s we used to eat at the Prince Grotto in the basement of their factory in Lowell, MA).

4 Likes

When I was in Berlin this summer I stayed just down the road from an Italian market. Their pasta selection was incredible - brands I’d never heard of nor seen around here.

Pasta is cheap - life is too short not to buy the good stuff! I did not grow up with any Italian food. Our noodles were always thick and homemade - rolled and cut on my grandmother’s table but always served with chicken and gravy. My dad used to stretch his chili with elbow macaroni to feed his 6 kids That was it!

I grew up with my mom’s spaghetti sauce: canned whole tomatoes, onion, garlic, supermarket deli ham cut up into small bits, canned mushrooms (which I can’t abide now), and lots of cheap parm on top.

Canned ravioli weren’t strangers at our table, either - my mom raising me by herself while holding a full-time job.

I love pasta and could probably have it 3-4 nights a week. Cheap, versatile, delicious.

4 Likes

I do recall that site. That looks like a good carbonara. Any chance of posting the recipe, pleas.e

Any ’ light ’ soya sauce would do. Premium top soy more ideal since sweeter. However, can mix your own by adding sugar or even a touch of chicken powder for added umami.
Sometimes, if time permits, I even try creating my own special version by cooking soy in lightly fried shallots, scallions, ginger, garlic and some Chinese rice wine!!!

1 Like

I don’t mind canned mushrooms on top of a very well-sauced, cheesy pizza eaten in a bar after a few good beers. Other than that - I can say I never had mushrooms or ravioli growing up. We had a big garden, all of us had to work in it and I particularly hated late August and September when my mother and my grandmother would spend so much time canning the food. I never learned how to do it myself because I couldn’t wait to get off of the porch, shelling peas, snapping green beans and eventually leaving the hot kitchen.

2 Likes