What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

It definitely needed more oomph as the potato was just baked leftover vs roasted with seasonings leftover, which would have added some flavor. They picked up a bit of the rosemary butter “sauce” but it wasnt enough, IMO. Tossing the steak strips in steak sauce prior to layering on the dough would have helped a lot as well. But now I know for next time!

2 Likes

Simple, kinda beige but very tasty: pan-fried boneless skin-on chicken thigh (my favorite), jasmine rice, kimchi. I pounded the bejeezus out of the chicken to make it even (so therapeutic!!) so it was very tender. G&T.

17 Likes

Just the two of us - our usual partner on Thanksgiving had a hip replacement yesterday and we wanted to take a meal to her tomorrow so we cooked our bird early. Nothing fancy. Didn’t bother with a green veg but we will have peas and pearl onions tomorrow. Leftovers until next year…

26 Likes

Dinner tonigt is sirloin strips, sauteed spinach and mashed potatoes. IPA for him and Cabernet Sauvignon for me. Happy Drinksgiving to all who celebrate!

21 Likes

That looks fantastic!

2 Likes

‘Twas the night before thanksgiving…

Had one of my favorite meals from my aunt’s repertoire - fish pie (largely because she was on a freezer organization kick and reciting everything we might have for dinner based on the contents and I jumped on it when she said “fish pie?”). Inside: cod, salmon, and shrimp in seafood-flavored white sauce, layered with peas and then a well-buttered mashed potato topping.

I made gyoza for a late lunch after we did a bunch of prep for tomorrow - ”lacey” gyoza that turned out as they should have for the first time, lovely crunchy bottom, if a bit overcrowded in the pan.

21 Likes

Thank you! Needed to get the holiday mashed potato fix in early!

Us too!

1 Like

Haha, thanks. We got another round of the turnips in our farm share today. I need some new ideas.

It’s one of my favorites, for sure. It’s definitely sweet though.

1 Like

Chinese turnip cakes?
Turnip latkes? (These were surprisingly good)

1 Like

Is it noticeably better than whatever else is available?

I didn’t know it had a name…apt.

Cheers! Clink.

12 Likes

Chin chin

1 Like

Now I’m intrigued. Did you follow a recipe?

Cheers! :wine_glass:

1 Like

My husband cooked today. He made this pasta recipe with FIL’s wild salmon (yes, again, he froze a whole side). At my request he subbed evaporated milk for some of the cream. It was pretty harshly garlicky and needed more umami, IMO. Some chicken BTB would have really helped round out the sauce - as would have cooking out the garlic more before proceeding with the sauce. But I appreciated the effort and not having to cook, and of course smiled and kept critiques to myself :slight_smile: His salmon cook was spot on (those thin filets were way overcooked in last night’s IP recipe).

My contribution was a super simple green salad with dried cherries and pistachios, balsamic vinaigrette.

18 Likes

Just like latkes… grate or chop small in FP, drain, add your usual seasonings (incl onions if you like, I do), egg and flour, fry.

The turnip cake is good too - I like this lady’s explanation (I didn’t have the usual additions like dried shrimp and chinese sausasage, so I used bacon and dried shiitakes for the umami elements).

3 Likes

It took me a minute to realize that this is the underside of several dumplings, all cooked together!

1 Like

Thank you, thank you!

1 Like