What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

That is a lot. Glad you’re home.

4 Likes

The companionship sounds wonderful, but I love the generosity and kindness towards the friends you were all cooking for.

(One of these days I’ll try my hand at pastitsio - have been intrigued by it for a while.)

1 Like

Flammkuche tonight

18 Likes

Thanks - I’m proud of the kids for wanting to make meals, and everything turned out well. They were going to drop the food off today, but the friend wound up back in the hospital. So hoping for the best outcome.
@Saregama - let me know if you’ve got any questions about pastitsio - such a comforting dish it is.

5 Likes

What an ordeal - hope you’re fully recovered by now, and can enjoy Thanksgiving this year.

4 Likes

Other half of the pizza dough in a plain old pie, but the first in my countertop oven, so it was an experiment. Used a pizza stone and a silpat sized for it, which I removed once the dough set so the bottom could crisp up.

Sautéed snow pea leaves on the side

I didn’t love the dough as much as the one with 00, though the overnight rise in the fridge made it a lot better than yesterday’s same-day use. Nowhere near the char achieved in my sib’s screaming hot oven, but I didn’t expect it.

Conclusion for my oven’s vagaries is to try par-baking the crust before topping, or using the stovetop start hack next time. But I loved yesterdays combination and ease, so I may just stick with that.

Think I’m pizza’d out for a while, though.

Earlier: used the rest of the duck broth to make wonton soup with the last 4 plump wontons from flushing chinatown a few months ago, which I remembered were still in the freezer exactly for such use. More yu choy and aromatics to round it out. Yum!

21 Likes

Best wishes to the friend for good recovery. It’s hard to feel helpless when friends are going through stuff like this. (For me, making something makes me feel like I’m doing something to help even when I can’t help with what’s actually happening.)

@Lambchop if you’re willing to share your recipe or method, that would be amazing. And if not, any tips would be welcome!

1 Like

@greygarious from your mentions now and then it sounded like a rough ride, but this sounds so awful and extended — hope you are doing a little or a lot better now.

I don’t know if you knew (or remember) that I went to visit my sibling and family for a few days just before COVID hit, and came back a year later… I had no idea what was even in my fridge when I got back, and avoided clearing it out for longer than I’m willing to admit :joy:. But when I eventually did, it was cathartic.

8 Likes

Those wontons! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

Stir fried shrimp with celery, carrots, yellow bell peppers and lily bulbs

Steamed Chinese gai lan

18 Likes

Vegetarian paella with green beans, cauliflower, great northern beans, red peppers, bomba rice, saffron and smoked paprika

14 Likes

??

Oh heavens, what a saga! Glad you are home now and doing well?

Hope your change-of-weather cold and blahs are chased away by the yummy and nourishing food!

Sorry, I was trying to ask for the list of cheeses, but later saw you’d already discussed.

1 Like

Last night I made chicken and shrimp pad Thai from a pantry kit. Unfortunately the shelf-stable rice noodles were a congealed blob. We quickly pivoted to ramen noodles. The sauce was so-so, so I’ll just make this from scratch next time. I added zoodles from two zucchini, which worked well.

16 Likes

That’s where I go to most days now too. Their shipping is reasonably fast, always well packaged, and they even insert this thermometer check thing that confirms if the seafood is still in the safe temperature zone. They can be pricey, but the quality is fantastic. They’re a good alternative if you don’t have a good local seamonger nearby.

1 Like

Yum

1 Like

Good lord, you can say that again! Glad you’re home. And I’m thinking just toss the ham completely. No unwrapping of that baby. Wrap it in foil, and put it in a plastic bag, and it should keep the critters away!

3 Likes

We often had seafood on Christmas eve - a large variety in the pursuit of the Feast of the Seven Fishes.

1 Like