What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

Lemon potatoes! Fabulous idea and I look forward to trying it. Your pictures look beautiful too.

1 Like

Not mine, but a standard Greek side. This is the recipe I used and liked very much, but there are tons out there. The ingredients are usually the same, give or take: olive oil, garlic (fresh or powder), oregano (fresh or dried), lemon juice, salt, chicken broth. You can tweak to your liking - I’m big on lemon so I might add just a bit more next time, although I thought the proportions were well-balanced :slight_smile:

1 Like

After you mentioned the Pioneer Woman site in your first post, I did visit the site. It’s interesting that most of the few reviewers on that site have not actually made the recipe yet! Your positive experience with it increases my confidence to try it out.

3 Likes

That all looks delicious!

1 Like

Thank you, it really was :slight_smile:

1 Like
4 Likes

Ellie Krieger has a version where she add beans part way through and feta at the end. It’s good stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/lemon-potatoes-beans-and-feta/17481/

6 Likes

Trying to catch up on the October and November threads.

2 Likes

Mexican Pork Tinga Rice and Zucchini with Cream - Pork tinga was made by braising diced pork butt with onion, garlic, chipotle in adobo, oregano and thyme in a mixture of chicken broth and tomato sauce in the oven and for the last 30 minutes you add and cook rice so that it nicely soaks up the flavors. As the side vegetable dish we used a Diana Kennedy recipe where you throw together diced zucchini, tomatoes, peppercorn, cilantro, mint, cinnamon stick, cloves, chili and creme fraiche and simply cook it for 30 minutes.

22 Likes

Meanwhile, it’s 37 today in my corner of WA state, and it’s been snowing on and off today (first snow of the season). Yesterday’s dinner was very apropos (but no pix). Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and mushroom gravy.

10 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was udon noodles with peanut sauce and sliced cucumber, garnished with hot chili oil and chopped peanuts.

17 Likes

Fish tacos, nachos, and leftover slaw (not pictured). Yeah, I had tacos last night, too. Never enough tacos.

20 Likes

When you have striped bass that was in the water less than 24 hours beforehand the only thing to have is ceviche. Since I didn’t have enough of any one kind I made a three-citrus marinade that also included cilantro, red onion, jalapeños and splash of olive oil. Served with fried mountain dried cancha corn.

23 Likes

Braised artichokes with tomato, jalapeño, olive, and capers, roasted trout fillets, and grits. Artichokes recipe via Rick Bayless in More Mexican Everyday.

18 Likes

Cheeborger night at casa lingua: Aldi’s 75/25 Wagyu ground beef, havarti & ‘murrcan cheese, red onion, lettuce, pickle, a lil Duke’s and ketchup.

L&W fries with more ketchup & Kewpie.

20 Likes

aw, thanks for asking. Yes, pretty much, except i do get sleepy earlier lately - been sleeping a lot more still, but i feel fine during the day.

i will report on BCN this week, thanks!

3 Likes

Chicken veg soup. Warm bread and butter. There is small little gem wedges and creamy Greek dressing under the pile of sun sugars, from the garden, avocado, red onion and parsley. Cocktail was a Manhattan.

20 Likes

I bought Mexican longaniza, which i mistook for Filipino longanisa but it was still good. I really love the sweetness of the Filipino sausage, so I’m going to hunt some own. I’d say Mexican longaniza is similar to Mexican chorizo but perhaps not quite as salty, a little less oily. Sauteed it with onions, a few leftover minced criminis and cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and a bunch of Jimmy Nardello peppers my sister got from one of her clients. I also made sinangag (Filipino garlic fried rice) to go with, which omg i love so so so much. BF made a salad with the client’s cukes, and fried up a bunch of the client’s shishitos (that garden just keeps on giving!), which I thought would be too much but we ate them all, they were so good. All in all a very satisfying, homey dinner.

20 Likes

Leftover French onion soup from the freezer. Croutons from home-baked bread with gruyere. Leftover grilled chicken on a bed of garden romaine with homemade Caesar dressing.

24 Likes

Asparagus-potato salad with a scallions, olive oil, white vinegar and mustard vinaigrette. Served with an avocado-creme fraiche dip and sausages

15 Likes