What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

Ugh. Never good. Hopefully the right job is just around the corner! (And I hope they’re helping out with some kind of severance to tide you over for a bit!)

1 Like

I. WANT. THAT. Looks perfect, @Presunto!

1 Like

Decided to try the TJ’s frozen wild sockeye salmon. It only comes packaged in two pieces, which is why I haven’t purchased it before, but I figured I can use the other one to top a salad if it was OK.

Meyer Lemon Oil drizzled over the salmon, sprinkled with minced rosemary, salt, and pepper. Into the convection toaster oven at 275° degrees until done. Topped with a pat of butter.

The rice pattie was a crapshoot. Leftover mango rice, mixed with an egg, some panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and some dried thyme and Aleppo pepper, formed into thin patties, chilled, then fried in duckfat. They needed more seasoning, and the rice needs to be cooked in a lot more liquid to be softer, but not a bad effort.

Steamed asparagus and wine alongside. Going to watch a few episodes of a new Amazon Prime original series, Absentia.

10 Likes

Sorry to hear this! Another door will open soon!

1 Like

Long day on the slopes today home to a quickie dinner supermarket tortellini with a dandelion pumpkinseed pesto made last summer (too long overlooked in the freezer). Also some air-fryer sausages. That thing isnt good for much but it did ok with sausages. I got a 2day ticket I hope I can move tomorrow lol 8 hours was a longer day than I’ve put in in a long time but my bad knee was doing great today and the conditions were good for PA. 2nd Sunday is community breakfast day at the fire company so ill definitely be fueled up.

8 Likes

Overall meal looks excellent but have to echo the comment that the duck breast looks perfect. Absolutely gorgeous

2 Likes

Thank you, both! It’s 1 of my favourite quick and delicious meals. Now SV makes it even easier.

LindaW, some frozen foods are better in portions anyway. They stick together or can’t be used up in a meal. Maybe someone in the US is going to realise that soon. We already have some frozen things in single portions here, though you need to buy a package of 4 or 5. At least they are not stuck together in a big bag which makes it easy to thaw just 1 piece.

1 Like

Sometimes I don’t eat meat for 2 weeks, sometimes I do 2 days in a row. Korean style pork belly marinated in doenjang (fermented soya bean paste) over night then SV’ed for quite some time. Not pleased with the photos but will make it again another time when I have better natural lighting.

Spicy radish, a typical accompanying side for pork belly. I enjoyed it in Korea where it’s made using dried then rehydrated radish. Not fermented, more like preserved.

When the meat is cold the rind is less red. I shouldn’t have sliced it when it was still a bit warm. It’s so rich we could only managed to eat 1/3. Gonna think about what to make with the leftovers.

9 Likes

Had an excellent Kiwami ramen with a Bresse chicken broth and tender melt in mouth chicken chashu, with yuzu, bamboo shoot rice and mushroom egg custard, who can resist that? Too bad, it was just a special menu, the restaurant won’t have this on their regular menu. They will have need to price it very expensive in order to have a good margin.

Maybe one day, when I got a good chicken, I will try to reproduce this dish. It was very satisfying.

More detail here.

9 Likes

Spent the day watching the rest of “Absentia” on Amazon Prime. Really damn good series. Although I’m not sure where it can go after the 10 episodes from Season 1. We’ll see if it gets renewed.

Dinner tonight was a Use-Up. A fat b/s chicken breast I had cut into half and frozen for Mom’s use, which she never did. Seasoned with salt and pepper, then pan-seared it in butter and olive oil for a few minutes on each side and removed to a baking dish. Poured in some white wine to reduce and get up the browned bits, then added some additional butter off-heat to “sauce it up”. Poured over the chicken, and baked for about 20 minutes. Topped with some chopped “artisan” spicy salami and a couple of thin slices of Swiss cheese, and back into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melted.

Boring steamed broccoli alongside, and some wine.

10 Likes

Found all kinds of great produce today, so i made us big a$$ salads for dinner. Crunchy iceburg, cucumber, sugar snap peas, super thin sliced fennel, scallions, cubed marinade tofu for me and little shrimp for mom. Wine a la carte.
Gratuitous photo of Jaggers and his toys

14 Likes

Made pastrami from a prepared corned beef today.

Leach out salt, add a pastrami rub and smoke. These always turn out well

7 Likes

I am going to miss my hometown. One more week here. Packed and ready to go. Couple items from the Farmers Market. Ahi tuna, chard. Macaroni salad from my favorite store. Wine to drink. Cheers.

14 Likes

Enjoy your last days there.

Love the Ahi tuna !

Happy dog I must say, and lovely too, that food theme carpet (or nature theme :yum:).

Wishing you well on your journey and in your new home

Salmon which was pan seared with dill, butter evoo s&p…
Cauliflower with “Mac & Cheese” sauce…(san the mac)
Dipping sauce was mayo, sour cream, garlic, Sriracha, dill & a dash of white vinegar.

8 Likes

it just looked like pomegranate!

1 Like

good luck on finding the next big opportunity for you!

echoing everyone on the spectacular job on that duck!!! drooling here!