What makes Altoona-Style Pizza so Unique?

I will accept “epic” if you’re channeling Wayne’s World. Have not heard uber used in conversation very much.

1 Like

There was a short phase where people were using uber instead of very. Uber cool, uber delicious, etc.

And then a guy started a company with that name, which may be why it’s no longer an adjective.

2 Likes

Except if you’re German.

2 Likes

Maybe he even wrecked the word for Germans.

My Uber was über there.

4 Likes

Five stars!

Überhaupt nicht :rofl:

1 Like

Well, uber DOES mean “exceptional” or “outstanding” so it’s just a synonym for “very”, as well as being just the German word for “very”.

The German loanword uber, which sometimes functions as a prefix and sometimes as an adjective, means super or very . The German word has an umlaut over the u—über—but the umlaut is often omitted in English.

It’s really no different when each generation begins to use a word or phrase that “catches” on - until the Olds start using it, and then they look for another word or phrase.

“That’s the cat’s pajamas!”
“Bright eyed and bushy tailed”
What’s cookin’, Daddy-O?"
“Far out, man!”
“Can you dig it?”
“Whoa man, that’s rad!”
“Totally awesome, dude!” or
“That’s totally gnarly, dude!”
“Oh gah! Gag me with a spoon!”
“Whassup?”

Language. It’s fluid and ever-changing.

2 Likes

The logomachy grows within you, I see.

tenor-185605189

2 Likes

I’ll admit, I had to go look up that word. :wink:

2 Likes

You see, my friend, dictionaries are not as otiose as we have been told.

2 Likes

My dislike of uber being used by English speakers is probably why I’ve never used Uber or ordered from UberEats.

It also means “over” and “above,” which makes perfect sense — like everything else in the German language :joy:

2 Likes

Where are you on tres and beaucoup?

2 Likes

Thank God for online dictionaries. :wink:

1 Like

As a currently (like, RN) severely underemployed Uber driver, I’m uber-pissed off ATM.

1 Like

If you’re German, you realize that the word über is a preposition or an adverb, not an adjective.

2 Likes

Fine if someone is speaking French.

Annoying like uber when someone is speaking English.

Really? I throw a few words of non-English into my conversation. Nada, for instance. And trust me when I tell you it’s best that I don’t attempt to speak too much French at a time.

4 Likes