What makes Altoona-Style Pizza so Unique?

I love tuna pizza. Add some corn & onion and I’m good :wink:

Altoona is in the middle of bumFnowhere, PA. There is nothing remotely remarkable about the place.

2 Likes

might as well add the american cheese for altoona-melt pizza then!

Probably… we took their food and made it our own, so to speak!

1 Like

Nah. Gouda all the way. German-style :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

i think i prefer the pizza with a ketchup pump condiment in praha!

1 Like

OMG. Hope there’s some kraut n dumplings on it as well.

2 Likes

nope just square slices with garlicky ketsup pumped on…the beer you have beforehand more than readies you for it

It doesn’t gross me out, but calling it pizza seems odd. This is more like a sandwich on pizza dough.

I’m Italian on my mom’s side and married into an Italian-American family, so I am well familiar with only wanting Italian food (which is to say they want Italian-American chicken parm, lasagna etc) and the one cousin who is a stickler for regional authenticity. They all state their opinions. Loudly :rofl:

2 Likes

Is there at least some sort of cheese on it? Although I’m not sure it could save the ketchup situash…

I suppose it is pizza like English muffin and bagel pizzas are pizza. If it can be made by a kid in a toaster oven without burning down the house and it scratches a pizza itch, fine.

4 Likes

yup. the ketsup goes right on top of it

now it’s been a while since ive been there, but back in the day not a lot of options or ingredients so this was borne. This is the country that also enjoys (as do i) breaded and deep fried cheese patties and goulash with huge fat blobs and the like…foods to prolong extended drinking bouts before you “read the table” ie pass out face on the bar

it doesn’t scratch my itch either…we’ve had more kids’ cooking fires with microwaves…watch out for that!

3 Likes

Yah, I’ve visited a few times, although it’s been a while. I love the beer there, but have perhaps become a little more discerning as far as drunk munchies are concerned. But I’m also not in my 20s anymore :wink:

my cousin and his wife and family live in Brno (Moravia) and I do enjoy the potato pancakes with the pork cutlet in the middle and the great foraged mushrooms and other stuff…the beer is incredible…back when i taught english there the healthiest restaurant known to the city ever opened up. it was mcdonalds and it was promptly attacked by anarchists that tossed concrete bricks through the front window. good stuff.

4 Likes

Never made it to Brno, only Praha. It was already pretty touristy in the early 90s, so I can only imagine what it’s like now. Beautiful city, perhaps one of my favorites as far as architecture is concerned.

still lots of cool treelined areas, and ancient basement pubs to escape the tourists in praha especially by charles university and lots of other fun towns to hit up by a short train ride. Brno is cool because it’s not touristy at all.

2 Likes

worked for a company that had a facility in Altoona - long before the interstate highway (named for some crooked politician) existed. drove stayed/there 2-3 times/year.
never heard of Altoona Pizza.
looked at the pix - never saw anything like ‘Altoona pizza’

there was, however, a Greek inspired restaurant up on a hill around&about Altoona that was utterly fabulous. no, do not recall the name . . . later heard the proprietor closed the business.
being an international business, all visiting European VIPs were treated to a visit there, and I’d never every miss out on the opportunity to accompany…

1 Like

I enjoyed a meal at Finelli’s Italian Villa on my way to a family wedding in 2017. The old school red sauce Italian restaurants are becoming harder to find in Canada, so I appreciate the ones I find in PA & NY. https://www.finellisitalianvilla.com/

I would say calling this pizza is rather like saying Pennsylvania part of the midwest. But i digress. Back in the ancient times i lived in a Pennsylvania town that was dry on Sundays so we had to go to Altoona to buy beer. But i digress again. Anyway i lived in Pa for about 25 years and i can attest that there were LOTS of ecxellent places to eat.

2 Likes

So it’s a Tuna Melt pizza without tuna but with salami and green peppers? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I really don’t like Sicilian pizza with the thick massive amounts of dough, so starting off with that put me in the NO column. And I only use American cheese on boigahs and in grilled cheese sandwiches. Oh, and the rare real tuna melt I might make once a year.

And I’ve been in Altoona (once) when I lived in central PA back in the mid 1980s. Wasn’t anything to write home about then, and doesn’t sound like there’s been much improvement.

4 Likes