What makes a great (or bad) recipe?

Here is a style guide I found online some years ago. It is similar but more detailed:

What’s Cooking America - Recipe Writing Guidelines:

Never assume anything. Assume your reader is a beginner cook and don’t expect the reader to have to figure out what to do. Write everything out.

Consistency in recipes:
• Always specify and ingredient or spell out a cooking term. No abbreviations.
• Always place the ingredients and method (directions) sequentially – never randomly.
• Make each recipe as and easy-to-follow as possible.
• Single space all recipes.

Recipe Format:
• Always, always give credit to where the recipe is from. Also, if you have adapted a recipe from someone else, state this.
• List the ingredients in the order in what they are used in the directions. Don’t place the main ingredient at the top of the ingredient list unless it is the first ingredient used in the directions.
• Always have a photo of the finished dish. People have difficulty visualizing a recipe, so a photo helps.
• Multiple measures for ingredients. Giving more than one way to measure an ingredient (such as 1 small apple, about ½ cup chopped) decrease guesswork and provides clarification.
• Avoid abbreviating measurements. Spell out units of measurements such as:
tablespoons
teaspoons
pound
ounces and so on
• If the oven needs to be used in the recipe, state: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. at top of recipe directions. If dish is to be refrigerated or frozen first, state the preheat temperature just before baking instructions.
• Specify the size of a dish or pan to be used. Example:
In a medium-size saucepan
In a small bowl.
• At the bottom of the recipe, state the number of servings. Example:
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
• When listing the number and size of packages, cans, or bottles, list either as follows:
1 (6-ounce) can tuna
1 can (6-ounces) tuna
• When an ingredient listing begins with a word rather than a number, capitalize the first work. Example:
Salt and black pepper, to taste
• Do not put a period at the end of the ingredients in the ingredient list.
• If the ingredient has to be thawed, soaked, softened, or otherwise prepared ahead of time, indicate that in the ingredient list so the cook can plan accordingly. Example:
1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 tablespoon butter, melted
• Described the preparation in the proper place Example:
½ cup chopped celery NOT ½ cup celery, chopped – the cook must chop the celery in order to measure it.
• If an ingredient calls for a simple cooking preparation, such as toasting nuts, include the directions in a note at the end of recipe ingredient list. Example:
1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
NOTE: To toast coconut, spread coconut in an ungreased pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F. oven for approximately 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden brown.
• Be specific regarding ingredient amounts – give size, weight, volume, and/or number of units. It is helpful to provide two (2) difference measurements, when possible. Example:
6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and quartered
1 green bell pepper (about ½ cup), chopped
2 small chicken breast halves (about 1 pound), skinned and boned
• Divided Ingredients – When an ingredient is used at different times in a recipe, list the total amount in one place in the ingredient list, then add the term “divided.” Example:
Ingredient List: ¾ cup all-purpose flour, divided
First Usage: Add ½ cup of the flour . . .
Second Usage: Stir in the remaining ¼ cup flour.
• When a secondary recipe is listed with the ingredients, it can be listed first with a cross reference. Example:
1 cup Herb Sauce (see recipe below)
The first paragraph of the directions can state – Prepare the herb sauce.
At the bottom of the main recipe, write out the secondary recipe.
• Do not number the procedural directions in the recipe. This is not the way I personally do my recipes on the web site.
• Variations: At the bottom of the recipe, just before the serving number, list any variations for the recipe. Example:
Variation: One (1) pound of ground turkey can be substituted for the ground beef.

Other guidelines:
Flour - state what type of flour – such as all-purpose flour or whole-wheat flour
Brown Sugar – always say firmly-packed brown sugar
Butter – Never state “sticks” or “cubes” of butter. Use exact measurements.
Meat Temperature – If a meat or cooking thermometer needs to be used to determine the doneness, add it to the directions.
Cheese – As a general rule, soft cheeses are shredded and hard cheeses are grated. Blue cheese and feta cheese are crumbled.
Herbs – state if using fresh or dry herbs. If listing both fresh and dried herbs, put fresh first. Example: 1 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
Sugar – Powdered (confectioners’) sugar
Cream – Type of cream, such as heavy cream, whipping cream, etc.
Dash – Do not use.
Defrost – Do not use “defrost” when you mean “thaw,”
Doneness – Testing for doneness. Spell out how to test for doneness in your recipe directions.
Eggs – Eggs are presumed to be large unless indicated otherwise.

2 Likes

Several things: (1) When Escoffier’s tome was compiled, that was the standard way to write recipes; there were no structural conventions. (2) You would have difficulty lifting a copy of Escoffier edited to follow today’s conventions. (3) Part of the price paid for including SO many dishes is that there are seemingly endless riffs and variants (incuding, maddeningy, Lenten versions of most everything). We may find that structure frustrating and dry today, but given what he was attempting to do, the brevity and cross-referencing make some sense. Cf, Bittman’s “How to Cook Everything”.

Compiling any list of instructions involves assessing the skills of the target audience. As an experienced cook, I find some recipes needlessly detailed.

2 Likes

I think that’s correct. I’d go further and posit that home cooks were not the target audience in 1903.

3 Likes

All good advice except I’m not that happy with the quoted portion. In the case of a meat dish, I very much prefer it listed first with mass, rather than needing to scroll down somewhere in the middle of 20-30 other ingredients. I’m not certain why - I think maybe knowing the meat and amount help me better grasp how the seasonings and their amounts work with the meat.

Agreed, but if you want to make an Escoffier dish while cooking at a modern pace, you need to copy the recipe and subrecipes before you begin!

When I write recipes for my blog, I start with an introduction with some background on the dish. That serves to provide the information you want without altering the chronological order of the ingredient list.

2 Likes

Great point.

The conventions are in constant flux. The trends are always toward things that improve authors’ popularity and sales. And why write one book when you can pump out a half dozen? You have to be able to pay the food stylists and photographers!

I’m probably reinventing the USB port here, but digital editions will need to prompt cooks at every step, keep timers, and integrate with your smart reefer and automated grocery delivery. If new “cookbooks” don’t have these features, then what?

A rifacimento of Escoffier with everything you and I might like still prolly would disappoint Gen Z.

1 Like

I was thrown out of a Facebook group, Elder Orphans Cook, because I posted a recipe without detailed quantities. I had assumed that an experienced cook would have the skills to make those decisions. Apparently I was mistaken! In general, I see recipes as outlines, not as commandments.

3 Likes

Their loss.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! So many important points here. I need to figure out how to copy this.

A very important point to me is: when reading old recipes, the ingredients may have evolved over time. Such as for example, a medium onion. I have not seen a medium onion at my grocer’s in decades. The ideal measurement for me would be in cups, ounces, etc. If the ingredient is so casual, maybe listed as ‘to taste’? Measured ingredient quanity is key also, (one half cup shredded carrot, vs. one half cup carrot, shredded). If the recipe needs to be followed ‘to the T’, this is helpful. I will usually try to eyeball what a medium onion used to look like. I’m not being graded on my dish. More about onions…what type of onion? White, green (scallion), red, yellow, torpedo, Vidalia? Inquiring minds wanna know!

I appreciate a refrerence to possibly acceptable (to the author) ingredient substitutions. When a recipe called for Kashmiri chili powder, I appreciated the mention of something I could put together in my kitchen with on hand ingredients without having to purchase it online or spending a day scouring the valley for a store that just might carry the specialty item. It wasn’t exactly Kashmiri chili powder, but it was close enough. Of course, thoroughly reading the recipe in advance helps.

When I ask someone for their recipe for something they’ve served, I will ask them for the recipe for how they made it, not a photocopy of ‘Cousin Ellen’s’ such and such. When someone asks me for a recipe, I try my very honest best to paint the whole picture in order to enhance their dining experience. Now when the kids ask for a recipe, it is either ‘dump in a large bowl’ the specified ingredient list or written out as ‘#1, #2, #3 and bullet point items’ and I often have to state ‘NO SUBSTITUTIONS’, that is, if they want to make it the way I make the dish.

Getting on my soapbox for a moment: modern recipes should be written using metric gravimetric units. Period. Any cook worthy of the name has a digital scale. Even if someone is not familiar with the metric system, one need only set the scale to grams and read off the number. I do deviate from this for small quantities, less than a gram or two. For that teaspoons work just fine. As for liquids, just recall that one milliliter of water has a mass of one gram and you are good to go. Oils are slightly lighter but not enough to matter.

Oh, and it is useful to remember some equivalents: one pound = 453 grams, one ounce = 28.35 grams (30 grams is usually close enough), one quart (946 ml) is roughly a liter, one cup (227 ml) is close to 250 ml, 1 Tablespoon = 15 ml.

3 Likes

See my later rant about units of measure.

For professional and very advanced home cooks, this could work. But the average home cook is not likely to want to so precisely measure out every ingredient for a Tuesday night supper.
I’m glad there are cookbooks of all levels to choose from. Imagine how daunting it would be for a true novice to worry about weighing every ingredient!

2 Likes

One is only a novice if one refuses to learn. Using a scale is faster and easier than measuring cups.

1 Like

Not everyone learns to cook until they’re forced to (i.e., a widower, perhaps, whose late wife always cooked his meals).

Maybe if you really work at it it is faster than a measuring cup, but I’ll never know. I use my one cup as a scoop, my quarter cup to toss water into a pan to steam an egg top or melt cheese, and otherwise do not even measure to bake. That is not to say I do not eyeball amounts. I do. My digital scale sits under my wooden tortilla press that gets much more use. Not exactly cooking, but I do use a shot glass to make a martini.

1 Like

Weighing is objectively much easier than measuring by volume, plus there are fewer dishes to wash.

Novice cooks everywhere except the US manage to learn to cook using recipes that show measurements in metric weights.

2 Likes

Like a lot of the others, recipes are guidelines. Unless I don’t know a certaind cuisine. Then I will follow.
I read cookbooks, I like travel cookbooks with history etc, but as to “good recipe”:
Clarity, all ingredients need to be stated
Metric, esp for salt, flour etc
I don’t need a photograph, but don’t mind either.
What I hate are mistakes &missing info.
I got a thing about substitutions. I’m good with them, but I would like the original to be stated, and the substitution as an alternative. Just a pet peeve.
It happens very often in SE Asian cookbooks.
Ginger for galangal
Macademia for candle nut
Something lemony for lemongrass
And recently: bay leaf for makrut leaf (daun juruk purut, lime leaf).
Parsley for coriander leaf
Esp those last 2 don’t make sense to me

2 Likes

Unless those are for garnish, those subs don’t make sense to me either. Makes you wonder if the person who wrote it has truly tasted those ingredients. If the quantities are small, I suppose those subs won’t harm the dish, but then you might as well just omit the ingredients.

While fresh galangal or lemongrass may not be readily available for many, you can often find dried, powdered, or frozen versions. I would love recipes to even talk about whether those are good alternatives, and if so, how they should be used in the recipe. Parsley for coriander though is just whack, and coriander isn’t even hard to find.

I don’t mind some history, or a personal story to a dish, just not blended in with the recipe or in very useful tips on how to make the dish. I get this is hard with blogs, because of the formatting, but I much prefer a cook book format where there may be a story or background on a dish, and then the actual recipe with any helpful advice as you follow. I just need them separate.

One thing I do appreciate about some blog recipes though are those that come with automatic converters! They help you divide a recipe to feed fewer people, and also offer quick conversions between metric and imperial units, and even temperatures. That is a cool feature that I wish more food bloggers utilized.

1 Like