What is it and how do I care for it??

Wok is flat bottomed, probably 13 inches. I’ve had various woks for decades, never expensive, never really seasoned, except by cooking. I was shocked to read about how fussy wok seasoning had to be. Same with my cast iron skillet, which I bought in college.

Range is just a plain old GE Profile induction. I think most induction ranges come with one superburner. My friend got a Bosch cooktop years ago; it has one.

3 Likes

That is the flat part?

Nice find! You can look up carbon steel seasoning, but for my wok I’ve used either plain (high smoke point) oil, oil and salt (helps get the oil around the wok and also absorbs any residual crap), or oil and potato peels.

Helps to have the exhaust on or some ventilation.

It will go blue black, and continue to build patina each time you use.

I run water in right after use, if there’s anything stuck you can use a soft scrubber or brush, and I use a bit of soap from time to time if necessary. Dry it off again on heat, but if it rusts a bit don’t worry, just wipe it with oil or scrub it gently off and season with oil.

Every once in a while I’ll mess up the seasoning and do it again, so don’t worry too much about getting it perfect or messing up when you use it, the world doesn’t end.

It gets good and hot on my indoor gas burner despite all comments to the contrary, so I wish you luck with your setup as well.

2 Likes

I cannot seem to find some of my previous favorite wok seasoning videos. I did a look and I think these two are pretty good.

2 Likes

No.

Many experts follow a 3- or 4-step progression:

1. Clean
  2. Blue ALL the steel under highest heat. Hard to do on induction, easiest on gas.
  3. Coat ALL the steel with a VERY thin wipe of oil and heat. Repeat as many times as you wish. THIN WIPES.

If you can remove the wood parts, an oven makes this easier. Invert the wok and let 'er rip.

1. Optional. Stir fry 1/2 cup peeled, sliced ginger and 1 bunch of green onions cut to 2" pieces together in 2T of high flamepoint oil. Rinse and wipe out and dry.

There are lots of YouTube videos.

1 Like

I know I am repeating myself, but Sunshine failed a memory test (last year). I know there isn’t any concrete evidence that using teflon products will make her memory worse, but there is enough speculation that I don’t want to take any chances.
So I’m trying different to learn to cook on different surfaces. Cast Iron, Enameled Cast Iron and now this carbon steel wok.
I haven’t tried cooking on carbon steel, yet… but if it goes well with this wok, I’ll invest in a carbon steel skillet. I’m hoping carbon steel and induction play well together (or at least play well together for me).

1 Like

Yes, my single induction burner/hob is 120 Volt. My goal is to save up enough money to afford a new induction stove/oven and yes that will be 240 Volt.

1 Like