What have you never tried?

Bergen, Norway - and no, I didn’t try it!!

1 Like

I was in my early thirties when I first ate them, at a local French restaurant (sadly long gone).

I cook them myself, from a recipe by Anne Willan. Here’s a picture of some I made, encasing them in puff pastry, using them in a Pithiviers instead of almond paste.

I know two butcheries that carry them. The pricing is ridiculous: $30/lb at one, and $60/lb at the other.

3 Likes

Post deleted by author.

If you’re in Ottawa, you can get them at a couple of restaurants across the river in Gatineau, Quebec; caveat: I haven’t tried them there.

1 Like

I was 12 when I had my first sweetbreads at a French restaurant in my hometown. I didn’t really know what they were at the time, but it was love at first bite.

Making them at home is a bit of a tedious affair, so it’s a must order for me when they’re on the menu.

2 Likes

Yes they would, but there will be bones. Try concrete when you wanna get rid of a body. :wink:

I quit ticks years ago. Minerally from the blood.

Such a refined way to express it! I would have said “toss my cookies” or “talk to Ralph on the big white telephone”. :grinning:

I remember being at a Basque restaurant with our 4 year old son. No choice menu. Sweetbreads. He was told to just try them. “Yum! Why didn’t you tell me it was chicken. I love chicken!”

2 Likes

I brought an Indian friend of mine to a Chinese restaurant.

Ordered stir fried pig’s blood. Told him it was “black tofu”

To this day, I am not sure if he realizes what “black tofu” is exactly.

2 Likes

We spent a lot of time in France around 2008-9. The dot com crash sent a lot of foie grad down market to the level of restaurants we supported. I was eating foie gras once a day until I hit the wall and never refound my taste for it. Over and done.

I would’ve love to have seen your lipid panel during those days.

Bravo!

Kiss the Porcelain god.

Along with the afore mentioned rodents, insects and pets, I also have never had Gatorade. In my head it tastes like salty sweat and I so no reason to prove myself wrong. There are many other beverages I’d rather have or try.

3 Likes

It tastes like underflavored lemonade, for the most part. I only ever had it to battle hangovers. It’s pretty sweet, too, but beats the revolting pedialyte, which is liquid sugar & vomitous.

1 Like

It does taste salty sweet to me. I only drink it if I am sick and dehydrated, and need the electrolytes, or as part of a clear transparent liquid diet before a visit to the gastroenterologist.

Norovirus is going around in a big way, so if you find yourself losing your holiday cookies, Gatorade or Powerade might be your friend. We usually get the lemon lime or cherry. I haven’t tried the other flavours in the last 20 years or so.

2 Likes

Knudsen Recharge is what my nephrologist recommends. All natural fruit juices with added electrolytes.
Much preferable to Gatorade.
I don’t know whether it is available nationally though.

4 Likes

Our go-to for hangovers is Yoo Hoo.

1 Like

I discarded the Gatorade that came with my last colonoscopy prep. It’s bad enough without gagging at the thought of Gatorade before you even start.

I’m lucky that I’ve never been sick enough to need to go that far though once Mr Bean was and gave himself IV fluids instead of taking them orally .

I see it comes in lemon so this may work well for future gastro appointment (if I can remember it that many years from now)