What have you never tried?

My aunt was a picky eater for most of my uncle’s 29 year marriage . Always ceviche at Mexican restaurants, and nothing spicy anywhere. My uncle loves spicy food, and his favourite restaurants were Mexican, Thai, Indian, and he chose spicier dishes when they went out for Italian food. She often would say she would be happy to just eat pb and jeliy sandwiches for all her meals.

2 Likes

I made that earlier this year… which reminds me I still have some tater tots in the big freezer. I should make it again and use 'em up.

3 Likes

I think I had a tater tot once, at a hipster bar in Philly where they have a whole menu section of tots. Not the worst thing that could be done to a potato (that would the dumpling), but also not my favorite.

1 Like

Do you know if they baked the tots or deep fried them??

I’m just thinking about the “bar food” I’ve eaten over the years and the majority was “deep fried”.

Yeah, def fried. Then just a variety of different toppings / sauces / accoutrements. It’s not my thing, but I’m weirdly specific about the potato preps I like & dislike :crazy_face:

Never had muskrat, but the other wilds I have. Nutria are good if you can control their feed. In Ecuador Cui is popular. had a lot of fish and game. Foie gras is something I’d like to try that I haven’t yet.

1 Like

One of my favorites.

2 Likes

They were in hog heaven. My list of things I have never tried would probable use up all of HO’s bandwidth. Both from never had the chance or not intrested.

3 Likes

And yet I bet your grandfather ate pig! Pigs actually WOULD eat a person.

2 Likes

Sharks would certainly eat a person, too.

I looked up shark attacks in Greece, and while they don’t happen often, there have been some fatal attacks.

Also, from another sharkhole, mako sharks have sometimes killed humans.

My grandfather was from an island, and crossed the ocean several times. Fear of sharks if he was thrown overboard was a much bigger fear than fear of pigs on land! Pigs are fed slop and will eat almost anything. I don’t think they’re blood thirsty like a tick. I digress. I hate ticks.

But not to eat them. Because they were being harassed.

Right, but that doesn’t really explain why he wouldn’t eat a shark. I mean, it’s nothing to me what people will or won’t eat, but it just seems like an odd reason to avoid a food.

I think his thought process was to avoid eating an animal that could have eaten a person who fell overboard, an animal that kept swimming around before being caught and served for dinner . He saw eating shark as on the edge of cannibalism.

It certainly bothers me when I hear poultry has ended up in chicken feed. Chickens weren’t meant to eat their own kind.

It would have been Great White Sharks my grandfather was concerned about, but he wouldn’t eat any sharks because of Great Whites. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/08/the-great-white-delicacy/61016/

Yah, I wouldn’t eat a tick either. :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

I have never tried sweetbreads or brains. I’ve never eaten tongue. No horse, dog or cat. I’ve also never tried octopus. And we were in Hendaye Plage, France near San Sebastian, Spain. We saw packets of live tiny eels (?) for sale that were meant to be consumed while they still squiggled their way down the throat?

I would take a hard pass on all of the above. Octopus solely on the basis that the creature fascinates me with its intelligence.

I’ve had haggis, blood pudding, duck gizzards, smoked eel in the Netherlands, fresh eel, lots of sushi/sashimi when we were in Japan, ceviche, escargot, frogs legs, rabbit, alligator and (!) BBQ possum. Some/most of those I wouldn’t seek out again. Some I didn’t enjoy, some I have a bad reaction when I eat them,

I love raw oysters, calamari and foie gras. I enjoy game meats - elk, venison mostly. But we live on outer Cape Cod - so our local bounty is fresh fish and shellfish.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that you love foie gras but would take a hard pass on sweetbreads, which I love as much as foie gras. I’ve had them in a warm spinach salad, and as a mousse, in restaurants, and I braise them in white wine. They are wonderfully creamy. You should try them.

1 Like

I like sweetbreads.

I like some liver pâtés. My last experience with foie gras was that it was too rich for my system, and it led me to lose the last tasting menu I had, in Montreal, in 2019. I haven’t lost a meal since that one.

I think I arrived at foie gras because I grew up eating liver and onions, and chicken livers and love chicken liver paté and chopped liver, so have long been familiar with that genre. Have never had the occasion to experience sweetbreads but I know they are considered delicious… How old were you when you first ate them? Do you cook them yourself, or have them prepared by others? I wouldn’t know where to find them locally.

1 Like

I would order them at a French restaurant, if you visit a big city. I have never made them at home. I like them fried.

I don’t remember ordering them before I was 35.

1 Like

Sweetbreads are great from the air fryer.

2 Likes

I ordered whale once, but they said they couldn’t butcher the whole whale for one serving.

3 Likes