What have you been watching lately? 2024 Edition

Yes, I know what he was trying to prove, but I have a hard time believing this apparently empathetic, smart kid would risk his dog’s life when the internet is just RIGHT THERE and could answer this question for you.

That dog deserves more than one acting award! Wow!

love this show — and betty!

just with they hadn’t killed off susan kelechi watson’s character in the first episode. she (cricket?) and will had great chemistry. i understand that she may not have been available for the entire season. but they should have been able to find a way to get her off the canvas in a way that would leave will traumatized without killing her.

1 Like

Watching No Time to Die (2021 James Bond ) tonight, on Prime before it leaves in 4 days, and the 2nd episode of Vera’s Season 13 after that.

2 Likes

Reminded me of Monk.

I can’t believe there were only about 8 episodes! Or maybe there’s a secret stash on Daily Motion?

1 Like

Not watching, but a podcast

1 Like

I like Will Trent!

1 Like

Finally finished the first season of Sexy Beast. Loved it, and looking forward to the second season, whenever that may be…

It gets a bit maudlin at times ( I was sucked in by the foster care narrative), but it’s aight. :slightly_smiling_face:

Enjoying Funny Woman on PBS. Based on a Nick Hornby novel about a young woman who leaves Blackpool to become a tv star in London in the 1960’s. Great music, great clothes, great sets and great actors. My kind of show.

2 Likes

Wait…Betty is the dog in Will Trent! I’m still on season 1. I was thinking there was a Betty in MacDonald and Dodd.

1 Like

An interesting twist on the ‘trip to the woods’ plot, with high levels of testosterone and a surprising twist at the end. Nice n short, too.

No buzz here around One Day on netflix?

Familiar story, as there was the Anne Hathaway movie 10 years ago with the same name and based on the same book. And the story is exactly the same. So, I had low expectations going in, and those were justified the first few episodes. But the production is top notch and the series just flows well, and gets better once the storyline becomes a bit more dramatic. Solid 7/10 for me.

2 Likes

I love Ambika Mod. Never watched the film but read the book. I have a hard time giving a toss about Dexter though.

1 Like

I just watched the Scotland episode because I wanted to see how he approached it. He hit spaces I expected (in part) but was disappointed by how his visit to Mary’s Milk Bar (Edinburgh) did not even gesture to the flavours this place works with. They will do foraging so we’ll get things like Sea Buckthorn flavours. They post the daily menu on Instagram.

I don’t eat pork but the moment he went onto Victoria Street I thought he’d have to say something about Oink. He didn’t name the cheesemonger which is IG Mellis.

Tantrum Doughnuts in Glasgow is :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands: (Also many vegan choices which are good, too.)

Double feature last night. First one was excellent, The Passenger. Great acting, tense, engaging.

The second one, Raging Gracewas also great, a modern take on gothic tropes with social commentary that touches on themes of class & the struggle of undocumented immigrants in the UK.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching Reyka.

Finished the second season of The Tourist, which was weaker than the first season. The final episode also clearly implies plans for a third season.

The thing I loved about the show the most - apart from the occasional very funny humor breaking up a lot of nasty violence - was the fact that the very conventionally handsome Jamie Dornan’s love interest is a decidedly not conventionally attractive woman. I can’t believe it bears pointing out that the female lead is not, as we are accustomed to, a stick-thin model, and that someone as conventionally hot as Mr. Dornan might find her beautiful & worthy of romantic attention.

That is all. For this damn near revolutionary casting decision alone I’d say it was worth watching, if a bit sad that this is even noteworthy.

1 Like

Hanging on by a thread trying to get into The Regime. I think Kate Winslet is a brilliant actor, and - in reference to my earlier post - I find it refreshing that she doesn’t seem to give two Fs about Hollywood beauty standards.

That said, if the third epi doesn’t grab me I’m done with it. It’s just too weird for me :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

In anticipation of the remake with Jake Gyllenhaal, about to hit streaming services soon I believe, I (re)watched the original: Road House with Patrick Swayze.

A late 80s action flick and surprisingly entertaining. It’s just a great mix (for men at least) of action, fight scenes, rock music, some female nudity here and there, funny one liners, deep thoughts, and just camaraderie between men.

Jake has some big shoes to fill…

3 Likes