What Has Ruined You for Store Bought Once You Made it at Home

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-crackers-recipe

5 Likes

As fall approaches I wanted salted caramel sauce. Home made is easy and superior. Ditto for sourdough buttermilk English muffins. Oh, and I was just reminded to make fruitcake.

2 Likes

Seafood stock. With Dungeness crab shells.

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Pizza, esp since I got my ooni pizza oven

2 Likes

Homemade hummus bears no resemblance to the store bought kind. Once I started making Mike Solomonov’s 5-minute hummus, there was no turning back.
Similarly, the pita from Alexandra Cooks have become my go-to. If I am making fattoush, I wiill get the thin pitas from my Syrian grocery but for almost all other applications I prefer Alexandra Cooks pita.
Soups and salad dressings of all kinds are exclusively homemade.

I don’t frequently make my own English muffins, but I am obsessed with finding bakeries and restaurants that make their own.

2 Likes

Tabouli and fattoush.

Most salads.

Bread, although I’m not the baker in the house.

Tomato soup & sauce.

I’ve rarely ever bought commercial salad dressings - tried a few out of pure curiosity, but prefer my own dressings and vinaigrettes by a mile.

Pizza.

1 Like

You may or may not like the recipe, but I make English muffins as follows: mix and knead one cup of starter, two cups of AP flour, one teaspoon of salt, one or two tablespoons of turbinado sugar, and buttermilk to desired texture, roughly one cup. Mix it, knead it, and roll it out about one half inch thick. Cut muffins and place on a cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal to rise. Cook over low heat on a dry griddle.

3 Likes

Various burgers. I make great salmon burgers, black bean burgers, and veggie burgers at home.

2 Likes

I use Michael Ruhlman’s English muffin recipe.

1 Like

Ever since I made Serious Eats Caesar dressing (without anchovies) I just keep making it, also use it for homemade tartar sauce, I won’t buy commercial.

1 Like

This sounds excellent,. I’ll try it. With regard to my recipe, I make it in an FP very much on the wet side and let them rise to 1 1/2" or more.