What happened to V105? [San Francisco]

V105 sat on a corner on upper Valencia, across from the U-Haul, and 1 block from Flax. They served breakfast and lunch and was a family run business. At least once a month, I would have their butternut squash sandwich and heartily enjoyed it. I think they baked their own focaccia which formed the base of this sandwich. Inside was thin slices of roasted butternut squash, paper thin slices of watermelon radish, a savory pesto with either asiago or pecorino cheese, and maybe some other veggie that I don’t now recall. It was a mixture of creamy from the squash, crispy from the radish, and salty/cheesy/umami-y from the pesto with the bread providing both a pillow-y and crispy contrast. I loved that sandwich.

I hadn’t gone over the summer and in early September, it seemed like the restaurant was closed. I assumed it may have been for a renovation so didn’t really think much of it and haven’t been able to get back. However, it is closed.

I thought they were doing a brisk business and their food, or at least that sandwich, was certainly delicious. Though I was tempted often by other items, the only thing I ever ate there and would crave was that butternut squash sandwich, and maybe a kouign amman. Does anyone know if the chef has gone on to something else? I think he used to cook at Garibaldi’s and he had the El Bulli books on a rack above the coffee maker. It was a charming and welcome addition to that part of Valencia. I’m sorry they are no longer part of the neighborhood.

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Bessarabsky Market, Kyiv. Ukraine
Credit: Juan Antonio Segal, Flickr