What food is worth the drive even if it's not in New Jersey? (neighboring states only please)

I grew up on Park Avenue in Edison, just over the bridge in South Plainfield/Edison boarder. I know Red Tower well, as the matter of fact a friend of my fathers use to own a used car lot behind Red Tower and was killed in a failed robbery attempt in the early 80’s.

I was just in the area (I now live in Monmouth County) and stopped at Tony’s Pizza for a couple slices in the new Shop Rite plaza. That was my childhood pizza place!

Do you remember the old Jacques on Park Ave from the late 70’s - mid 80’s? It became 2000 Park Ave in 86, I was a manager there till 92.

I spent a lot of time at Carusos and Giovanni’s on South Ave in Plainfield during those times.

Caruso’ s was my favorite restaurant of the time, I actually got engaged there! (Messed up story on what became the demise of them and the restaurant. Giovanni’s which ironically was owned by Tony Caruso, was a close family friend. If you spent a lot of time at those places then we have certainly crossed paths at some point in time.

Slightly earlier from the mid 70’s to mid 80’s Pumptown Corners in Edison was my family’s restaurant.

Shouldn’t you be in the kitchen!

I’ve been in my the kitchen two days!! Here’s the spread;

5 Likes

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
mmm is that lamb I spy on the right
lovely family :heart:
Hi mini - me

Wow…looks incredible JR. Any leftovers?

2 Likes

Yes lamb chops second from bottom on right, filet mignon below it.

2 Likes

Yes, but everyone will take some home.

1 Like

That baby does not look impressed.

3 Likes

I think the dog may be in a food coma
Jr your family is very lucky

1 Like

Hahahaha like Waldo I had to find where the dog was! Yes that is Tinkerbell safe in her great-aunts arms!

2 Likes

Perhaps a contest first person to guess each dish correctly … winner gets bragging rights.

Is that turkey? Where’s my skin? It all looks great!

Yes that is turkey, your skin was put aside just for you but unfortunately you didn’t show up!! Turkey, ham and lamb the Easter staples for me!!

Here was the entire menu starting from top left;

Ribs / Wings (not placed in pan yet)
Chicken Tequila / Ham
Broccoli Rabe / Stuffed mushrooms
Sweet potato casserole / spaghetti and broccoli
Stuffing / mashed potatoes
Turkey

Bottom left going up;
Filet Mignon
Lamb Chops
Spinach Dip
Italian egg rolls (stuffed with hot Italian sausage, broccoli rabe & 6 cheeses)
Fresh mozzarella and roasted peppers
Shrimp cocktail
Chips/Dips

Happy Easter and Passover !!

3 Likes

I propose next Ho-down is at JR’s house!!! lol…
in all honesty that looks like quite spread- hopefully good food and good times were had by all…

1 Like

You were very busy!!!

1 Like

I second that. Will even come from Westchester!

2 Likes

I’ve seen smaller buffets at restaurants, that really looks great. I hope that was for more folks than just the ones in the picture.

You should open a restaurant!

Oh wait, never mind.

1 Like

Yeah we had a total of about 40 people, were expecting 50 but had a few no-shows.