What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

Here’s the key; you have to eat the food first, then when you get the indigestion at least it will remind you of happy memories!

2 Likes

I’m really not a fast food person. Every couple of years in a fit of nostalgia I’ll get a McDonalds Big Mac, a Roy Rogers Double R Bar Burger, or Wendy’s Single. Red Barn of course is out of business. Nothing tastes the same as I recall from my youth and teen years. I’m sure the difference is me, not them. The cravings surely are nostalgia so I just think about it for a while and then make my own burger at home. No craving for Burger King or In and Out or Bob’s Big Boy because we didn’t have any around.
I have similar fond memories of Pizza Hut as it was a destination after cotillion every other Saturday night for six years. sigh Memories are much better than the pizza.
Subway was an adult find. Memories there when I still spent weekends gardening and doing yard work. Running to Subway for a foot long is still something we build into yard work days but there I find the consistency and quality down from just ten years ago - less chance of fog of memory. grin
Short answer - my favorites are all in my memory and if I want to eat I cook at home or clean up and go somewhere decent.

1 Like

Oh, I disagree.
The difference is definitely with them too. Things really did taste better in earlier times, before corporate bean counters changed everything.

1 Like

McDonalds has a limited time special featuring sandwiches which highlight certain states in the USA. The Alabama sounds good to me! Only catch, this is just offered in the UK and Ireland…

1 Like

Hi, I’m new here and this was the first thread I read through after joining.

My personal favourite fast food restaurants have been Pizza Hut in Hong Kong, because of their variety of platters and main courses over and above the standard pizza offerings, KFC and Ajisen Ramen, which was where I fell in love with ramen!

Nice to meet you all! Hope to hear more stories from everyone!

6 Likes

Welcome again! Why don’t you tell us something about yourself here:

I wanna here about the Hong Kong :hong_kong:Pizza Hut delicacies!
:smiley:

Hello Ho’ !!! (our affectionate name for each other Hungry Onion = Ho’s) Welcome to your small slice of the internet! Glad to have you and look forward to hearing more about the Hong Kong Pizza Hut everything else you have to share with us. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

1 Like

Over time from our Stateside perspective, the international McDonald’s menu so often looks enviously eye-catching – why can’t we get in on the fun. Are we that parochial, or is the “excitement” a necessity for succeeding in other markets?

2 Likes

I remember Pizza Hut in Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon) back in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Pretty standard then. What was a shock was the fried egg on the burgers at McD’s… before that became a thing here.

1 Like

I first saw fried eggs on burgers in the '80s in Australia and New Zealand. In NZ it wasn’t even noted on the menu - the burger just came with it!

You really are an Old HKG Hand ! Never saw the egg at any HKG MCD over so many years, including the now gone-from-the-scene Mega MCD at Pacific Place – speaking of which, we still have coveted Dan Ryan’s key chains snagged at Pacific Place and the enduring memory of hearing the endless loop of a Harry Caray Cubs broadcast playing in the restroom.

1 Like

The McDs I’m talking about was across from the Star Ferry terminal. I’d bet it’s gone now. Checked Google maps and it’s now Time Ball Tower?

1 Like

Welcome aboard clamshell. This is a really cool food forum. I think you will like it here!

In nj we have quite a few good pizza places but I admit pizza hut was one of my spots in my college days. It does go well with beer :smile:

1 Like

Wow. Star House. Salisbury Road? Remember that MCD, just not the egg.

You’re right. It WAS in Star House I think. Or at least right there somewhere. I haven’t been to HK in almost 20 years but must have been there 60+ times when I was traveling all over SE Asia. I remember it was very close to the escalator up to Harbour City, which was pretty new back then. Not sure just what I was looking at earlier on Google Maps.

Has anyone tried the mcd cheese fries?

The McDonalds Global Menu special has arrived.

Strickly Dumpling reviewed:

3 Likes

Steve Cuozzo from the NY Post hated everything about the global menu.

3 Likes