What entres do you prefer at a restaurant-even when you prepare them well at home?

Interesting. I’ve never heard of sautéing pasta for any pasta dishes, so perhaps that’s a Danish twist on things? Do you use any fats for sautéing the pasta?

AFAIK, Italians will finish most dry pasta in the sauce it is served with, which is what I do as well, with the addition of splash or two of pasta water (a whole cup seems excessive to me, but I don’t for how many people you cook).

I find that in the US, pasta is often overly saucy. I prefer the Italian method of it not overpowering the pasta.

2 Likes

Well it’s not really sautéing the pasta, more like swirling it in juices from the other ingredients in the dish.

I guess you could call it ‘speed sautéing’ the pasta.

I’ll see if I can find a clip of it, so you’ll understand what I’m talking about. I’ll be back later this evening :smiley:

That sounds like you’re finishing the pasta in the sauce ingredients, which is what I do. Not really different from what Italians have been doing for centuries. No need to explain any further :wink:

2 Likes

Pump air under the duck skin

Remove wing tips, feet, and innards

Cavity: a couple slices of ginger and whole green onion

Sew shut and hang; refrigerate for 24 hrs

Boil a pot of water with star anise and dried citrus peel

In separate bowl: 2c honey, 1T lemon oil, 2c vinegar, 1 container maltose (mix with some hot water to make it malleable)

Soak duck in the boiling water for several seconds; raise from water and ladle honey/lemon/maltose mixture over the duck

Hang in refrigerator for 1/2 day (tip…I use 2 computer fans blowing on it to help dry the skin)

Grill @ 325F for ~45 minutes turning duck ~120 degrees every 15 minutes

Once duck is done close vents and let rest 15-20 minutes

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. While it’s interesting seeing what some restaurants do with it a steak at home is almost always better.

1 Like

I just pull the pasta from its water and dump it into a bowl, add a little sauce, and toss it with the tongs that pulled it from the water. I may add a spoonful of salty, starchy pasta water if the sauce needs a little thickening or seasoning. If there are larger things, like mushrooms or shrimp, clumping at the bottom, I put a few on top of the serving. Cheese is an individual choice usually. I like a little mixed in, but my son calls it piling cheese for a reason.

The pint of meat sauce (likely sweetened) atop a pile of overcooked spaghetti on the plate is just sad unless you are an overly thin four year old that whose parents are trying to get to put on weight.

1 Like

Hey you guys, I flagged this conversation about home cooking as needing to be in the Home Cooking board. I’m not a freak about thread drift, but it’s a shame for conversations like this to be buried in some other throwaway thread. @hungryonion

4 Likes

I add it directly to the pot the sauce is in, with a splash of pasta water. Like just now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I prepare sauce and pasta completely separately, and serve it separately so that each person can determine his or her own mix. I always make enough sauce for many different pastas or alternative preparations like baked ziti.

Ray

I’ve been known to use the 2 methods.

Either cook pasta till al dente, toss in a bowl with sauce and pasta water held by the noodles. This method works specifically well for Rigatoni.

I’ve also undercooked the pasta and tossed it in the sauce to finish cooking and marry all the flavours together.
Adding pasta water a little at a time to allow the sauce to thicken.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t know the term for this, so I called it speed sauteing the pasta after it has been boiled.

Finishing the pasta was the term I should have used. Sorry about that.

I do also from time to time give my pasta a real genuine sauteing, and I also quite enjoy that actually.

1 Like

Hi Claus,

This interesting to me, as I’ve never tried to make dried pasta at home.
I had this in my YouTube feed this morning:

Olunia

2 Likes

Bookmarked it. Thanks so much. Sounds delicious.

How to pump air under the duck skin?

1 Like

DuckPump™, obviously.

More seriously, good question. Maybe a sanitized air compressor brass nozzle?

This sounds like a really serious operation. I’ve only got ONE VS computer fan that I use to draw air up through my Biltong drying box.

1 Like

I use a bicycle hand pump with a ball needle via the neck. :joy:

Here is an example with an electric pump.

4 Likes

I’ve done it only a few times and said to myself, “Self, it’s easier to buy it.” Haha

2 Likes

It doesn’t sound very complicated. Except the hanging in the fridge part can be a challenge. I did saw people just hanging in room temperature.

1 Like

Ha, I would say most dishes. I’m not a pro, and I wouldn’t regularly visit a restaurant if they were not making food or dishes that are better than my own versions, unless circumstances limited me to certain restaurant choices. This isn’t about confidence in my cooking; I’m a decent home cook, but chefs are pros and have access to equipment that can’t be easily replicated at home, let alone access to high quality ingredients. Even a simple dish like chow fun is tons better when you can get those blazing hot woks that char those noodles way better than home stoves. I have no interest in getting equipment that replicates something like a 800F degree stove on my range just so I can char my noodles to a tastier level.

1 Like

Indian and some other Asian and African dishes that require a specific suite of ingredients and preparations. I can and have done those in ways that I think are as good or better, but the hassle of doing it at home? Am I going to go out and buy years worth of star anise or clove for one dinner? Not often.

2 Likes

It definitely is a consideration about stock piling specialty ingredients that will rarely be used.

1 Like