What does $5. get you for lunch? (central Jersey edition)

Someone recently brought up the Brass Rail in Matawan, I remember going there fairly often, especially for business lunches when I would be in the area. Up until about 10 years ago they had a $5. lunch menu, which was generally a half sandwich and soup, something like that.

Perhaps because I used the self-checkout, but when I went to Wawa to get something to tide me over. the price happened to catch my attention. $5.00 even, not that was of any concern to me, but once I picked up the soup, I was very curious. If it wasn’t for the “M” printed on the side I was going to ask if it was my actual order or a mistake, but nope it’s a medium.

My educated guess is this is ONE ladle of soup, for $5. WTF? The crackers are almost the size of the container, when the hell did this happen?

What are your thoughts? Am I just a “boomer” who is losing touch?

4 Likes

Even before the pandemic and inflation, the $5 lunch was disappearing. Pine Tavern had boosted theirs to $5.95, for example. (Now, after their remodel et al, you can’t even see that in the rear view mirror.) If the fast food places still have $1 menus, they are much abbreviated.

If I thought some of that was to improve the staff’s salaries, I wouldn’t mind as much.

I’m still trying to wrap my brain around $5 loaves of ordinary supermarket bread.

1 Like

Well, we had lunch at 5Guys the other day and it was thirty $5.

2 Likes

How many people did $150 feed?

1 Like

Both of us

I go to Wawa and spend $2.12 on a medium coffee. A $5 lunch is something only seen in dreams anymore.

But what exactly constitutes “lunch”? For arguments sake, let’s say a sandwich, side (chips), and a drink. At my previous job (you know where), you’re at a minimum of $12-13 without enhancements.

And honestly, given the cost of stuff now, if I saw a $5 lunch special advertised I’d be too afraid to eat it!

6 Likes

It’s pretty bad. Seeded semolina loaves I buy whether at Livoti’s or Shop Rite (Brooklyn Bread its called) run from $3.99 to $4.99. I was paying attention to the math the other day, that to just make a grilled chicken sandwich for dinner it costs me nearly $30-- $5 for bread, $10-12 for the smallest pack of Bell & Evans chicken breasts I can find that will be enough for the sandwich, $5-6 for some deli-sliced Provolone, a tomato, and maybe another topping or two. Granted, the two of us eat this sandwich and there’s always cheese leftover for another use but that’s a lot. And we haven’t even added the $4 bag of potato chips yet, also insanity.

2 Likes

EXACTLY - I went to Shop Rite a few weeks ago for a loaf of semolina bread (they actually have an excellent bread selection) $ 4.99 - I also needed a head of lettuce., $3.99 (iceberg) $8.98 for a loaf of bread and 1 head of lettuce, was SHOCKED. $10. more or less for those two items you can’t really call a complete meal.

1 Like

So a friend of mine has never been to Harolds & wants to go. I took a look at the menu because my wife is a very picky eater - just to be sure there was something she’d like. At that kind of deli she generally gets a turkey club. With bacon (i know - i know).

Anyway… a turkey club for lunch at Harolds is $109. Im not sure how big a piece of that you csn get for $5

2 Likes

LOL Harold’s is my sons go to request for his birthday, I will be back soon!

1 Like

Has he been to The Pickled Herring yet?

1 Like

He has not, nor have I.

Well the pastrami is teally good & the price is a lit more reasonable. The only downside is the wait staff is very friendly.

Yesterday I got breakfast at Wendy’s. A sausage egg & cheese sandwich with a side of potato wedges and coffee. It was less than $7 which is very good by today’s standards. I was expecting to pay over $10.

1 Like

I have had a hankering for a nice sandwich. Near me there is not much. Went to a deli in Clark and was just OK. Think a Harold’s visit is in the offing. Have been to the Arlington location a few times back in the day.

And to answer the $5 question. Around Atlantic Highlands I can get a nice slice at Pomodoro, or a McDouble, or WaWa Egg Rolls. All under $5. That’s why I eat at my desk.

I’ve gotten soup from QuickChek a couple times recently, it always pays to go for the large, as you get significantly more for just an extra buck or so. Also, I don’t frequent Wawa but in these times you really gotta use the apps to get the most out of your visits. For example if you’re a regular visitor at QuickChek every month you get 1-2 free sodas, and 1-2 free drinks or treats. Also with the app you get 5 bucks back for every 50 you spend plus extra freebies when you purchase a certain number of sandwiches and such.

The better bang for the buck is to get a whole sub, which is slightly over 10 bucks and you can stretch it into 2 meals. Not exactly lunch but I believe their breakfast sandwiches are 2 for 5 bucks (like a sausage egg n cheese mcmuffin)

@JoeBabbitt 5 guys has always been a rip off! I can’t believe the prices people are paying for that place.

@ebchower @KAOSKitchen Speaking of Wendy’s, probably the best bang for the buck right now is the McDonald’s app deals, where there is always a BOGO for a double cheese, QP, or big mac. This means you can have two QPs for less than six bucks, or 2 dub cheese for 3. That’s certainly a banger of a 5$ lunch deal. On the Taco Bell app you can get a combo for 6, which is also right up there in value.

Along the fast food app deals, right now Popeyes has 12 wings for 7 which is rockin. And until just recently KFC was doing 8 piece bucket for 10. There are some really incredible app deals, it’s fun and pays to keep tabs on them.

1 Like

@MsBean KFC released a new rewards program and going through the rewards made me think of you. Check out this nonsense:

250 points: 5 pc nuggets
500 points: 8 pc nuggets

750 points: 8 pc nugget combo
1000 points: 12 pc nuggets combo

Who the hell is making these things up?!?!?

1 Like

I calculate prices so much I don’t even realize I do it. I also notice grammatical errors (though I am prone to them)

I am app averse or I would take advantage of these. I really don’t have anyone to share a twofer. Have tried a reheat but not worth it. I have even passed on a 2 for 1 original chicken sandwich because the other would go to waste.
I don’t really care about anyone tracking my eating habits, moreso want to limit apps and permissions.
Hmmm…do they offer app deals on a website? That I may check I out.

I believe you have to have the app. But for me BOGO double cheeseburger is the perfect sweet spot for a meal. I found they do heat up nicely. As a matter of fact some times it’s better reheated since they don’t really have any fresh elements like lettuce or tomato, and on reheat the cheese gets nice and extra gooey. Also with the app you earn points and get freebies. On Fridays just about all the apps give you free fries with any purchase, BK has free fries with any purchase all the time!