What do you never order at a restaurant, and why?

May I ask, you write that you like a “real” caesar, but then you say you really dislike romaine. Isn’t that the lettuce of a “real” caesar?

4 Likes

I find that kind of information really helpful in this kind of discussion. I am so unclear regarding how to think about the relative availability of different eating options where I live.

While I technically live in the San Francisco Bay area, most folks in the area would roll their eyes if I claimed that.

My particular city claims around 100k inhabitants (including about 3,500 people housed in “correctional facilities”), but it is within 60 minutes of many “destination restaurants” in San Francisco and Napa. They are rarely if ever weeknight options, but often where we go when dining out.

We are known for the chains that are visible as people pass through on the freeway, but I think we should be known for some of the same “farm to table” possibilities that neighboring Napa is. Nearby Sacramento is starting to lean that way, but I think the demographic changes as you move inland, and with it, how folks think about eating.

There are only one or two restaurants around here that capitalize on that, but it is a boon to the home cook, especially if you garden.

To answer the question, probably the only thing I won’t usually order eat in, or take out, is chicken breast, but I make exceptions. It’s just hard to cook the way I like it, and it seems to me, the bigger the scope ( not sure if that’s the right word, but I need to stop procrastinating, and take care of other business), the harder it is.

ETA, I rarely if ever order carb forward dishes like pasta or rice centered things for health reasons. I might make an exception for the risotto at Cafe La Haye in Sonoma.

6 Likes

Spaghetti – I go for penne, because I can’t eat spaghetti without getting sauce on myself from flying ends.

Fried rice – seems overpriced for what you get.

AYCE (not counting buffets): my appetite is just not large enough to make it worthwhile. (Though years ago, I did okay at Red Lobster’s AYCE crab legs. As did everyone else – Red Lobster lost a ton of money on it.)

And of course, there are a lot of things I wouldn’t eat anywhere, e.g., lobster, octopus, sea urchin, veal, …

(On the other hand, I have eaten venison, moose, and horse.)

3 Likes

The best cheese and charcuterie platters I’ve had, especially recently, have been at cheese shops with little dine-in areas. They took the time to ask us what we liked and didn’t like, how many accompaniments we wanted, etc., and those were worth the money.

4 Likes

it’s not only that . . .
the typical charcuterie “platter” will have 6+/- kinds of cured meats and 4+/- cheeses.
nuts, olives, etc. to dress it up

if you go to the store and buy all the stuff on that platter, you will not find it sliced into “platter” quantities. actually, I have seen prepackaged “trays” - but quite frankly those contain rather ultra-run-of-the-mill stuff . . .

the biggest ‘advantage’ I’ve experienced is being able to sample lots and lots of cheeses - some which one might never even consider…!
I’m pretty fussy about my cheeses - and I have “discovered” a number I really like.

back to the issue of “value” - I cannot find/buy/source the less usual cured cuts and certainly not the cheeses . . . - in small quantities. there is no economy in buying a bunch of stuff and turning it green in the fridge. so unless you do a platter right regular - 2-3x/week - turns out less expensive to let the chef do the construction…

5 Likes

Well, that’s what’s really nice when you have access to great cheeses and meats, and can buy them in as little as 100g portions.

And all of them will be miles cheaper than having them at the restaurant - like pretty much any dish one has at a restaurant vs. at home.

I never order fois gras or spit roast pig

Why?

Specifically spit roasted? What about pit (‘kalua’) or other whole roasted pigs?

1 Like

Dessert. I am not a dessert person. I am more likely to get another round of drinks to cap off.

1 Like

Same. I rarely ever get dessert as there never seems to be any room left - which I sometimes lament, especially if dessert sounds really great.

But I’m generally more of a salty than a sweet person… relating to food only, of course :wink:

1 Like

Only time I ever get dessert is when it’s inflicted on me -as in, it’s my birthday. Otherwise, no room.

1 Like

I never order chocolate cake as it’s always served at the wrong temperature (cold).

On one occasion, when I did order it, and it was cold, I called the waiter over and asked him to nuke the cake for 10 seconds. One of the ladies at the table asked if it made such a difference, so I asked her to taste it before and after; she saw the difference.

3 Likes

My dairy sensitivity guides most of my “nevers”…

I took a new position at work that means Im traveling what seems to be nonstop. Means that sonetimws I end up ordering whatever ks on the menu that either doesnt have dairy or that the cheese can just be left off without crashing the kitchen or destroying the intent of the dish.

Means I get stuck with some pretty odd (or pretty dire) choices.

Recent high point…a roasted pork chop at Mexican Sugar in Dallas…was moist and full of flavor from thr brine.

Recent low point…roasted chicken at Muerlein Lager House in Cincinnati…criminally overcooked and underseasoned. (If I hadn’t been with a large work group Id have sent it back)

1 Like

It is. I still dislike romaine, but what I dislike more is a salad that’s drowned in a gloppy mess that has more to do with half a pound of parmesan cheese than the actual ingredients of the original Caesar dressing.

1 Like

I’m like you–hardly ever dessert.

However, I aspire to occasionally consider foregoing mains and going directly to the sweet stuff. Many times I’ve been disappointed after slogging through an entree, and then watched as some fantastic dessert swims past. I’ll think: Next time, chocolate cake!

2 Likes

I’ll copy a lot of folks above when I say I don’t order stuff I can make well at home, or which although making well at home, I find to be a PITA. So I will order fried chicken if a place is known for having the good stuff, because I really don’t enjoy making it at home.

So, generally, nothing else that’s considered typical American cuisine (to the extent there is such a thing). Stuff like that’s always been so disappointing to eat out. My second daughter’s new home town has a diner type place with high reviews and strong coworker recos. My wife and I and our two youngest visited to help her get settled and tried the diner. All 5 meals somewhere between mediocre and bad.

5 Likes

That’s a bummer, man.

1 Like

There was a restaurant that opened here in the Boston area (but closed a while ago) that was called Finale. The idea was that dessert was the main event, so there was a short list of small savory plates, but the menu really focused on desserts and the wine, beer, and cocktail list was geared toward complimenting the desserts. We went a few times and it was fun. I just don’t really have a sweet tooth though (I am, certainly, dark chocolate appreciative). The restaurant (I think it opened a branch or two) closed after the novelty wore off.

When we visited Las Vegas, I and two dining companions visited a restaurant off strip. At the end of an excellent meal, they each ordered a portion of a chocolate tres leches cake. I ordered a glass of Pedro Ximénez. I had a bite of one of their dessert plates and that was more than enough to enhance my drink (actually, it turned out to be a great pairing - I offered them each a sip so they could see and they agreed, as did the waiter).

6 Likes

That’s not a terrible idea. If it was a late-night haunt and near to some other synergies, like theatres, clubs, stadia, concert venue, etc., I would think it might work.

2 Likes