What do you like? French Fries or Alternative Fried Foods?

Well, they are the current Champion.

6 Likes

This is Madness indeed

For a certain class of (North) American, Fries are the “I love them and they’re too much of a PITA to make at home” target. Deep frying is a hassle unless you do it often enough to ammortize out the inconvenient parts (oil change and disposal, the CLEANING from inevitable spatter, etc).

3 Likes

Yes. Fries at home never match the glory of hot and fresh from the restaurant deep fryer.

2 Likes

I like french fries generally speaking, but not all sizes/shapes are created equal. I have no use at all for crinkle cuts, and steak fries usually leave me cold. I would choose (good) onion rings or sweet potato fries (with plenty of blue cheese dressing!) over either. Also, tater tots are really my top favorite deep fried potato product, just edging out seasoned curly fries - a burger with a side of tater tots is a thing of beauty!

1 Like

I would be clear that I like French fries, but I didn’t realize people like potato fries significantly more than say sweet potato fries, taro fries, onion rings…etc.

I love tater tots.

3 Likes

Sweet potato fries feel too much like "cauliflower crust pizza’. I want THE THING, not the almost-but-not-quite-maybe-healthier-for-you thing.

2 Likes

At the risk of being stoned (and not in the good way) by the community, I don’t order fries and just eat a few of my husband’s (as does the dog). My feeling is that they take up valuable stomach real estate that I would rather devote to my cheeseburger with pickles.
My Hungarian Jewish grandmother made the world’s best onion rings, and I have never had any that are as good as hers. I do like the occasional sweet potato fry, but I’m alone in that.

6 Likes

Do you think you will be stoned because “you don’t like fries” or because “you steal your husband’s fries”?
I do agree that I always love burgers and simply think of fries as filler.

2 Likes

I think it would be because I don’t like fries. (I’m weird - I don’t care for chocolate either.) We’ve been married for 47 years so he’s used to me taking a few fries.

1 Like

I don’t like fries with my burger. Or any type of fried finger foods.

1 Like

Usually French fries, as its usually the only decent choice. But from worst to best…

Sweet potato fries…I’ll eat them if they’re the default, but won’t order them specially.

Onion rings…only if they’re really onions, not the ground up stuff. If youre running the risk of burning your chin because the onion slipped out of the breading even better.

(In a toss up, rings over tots)

Tots…i know, theyre hash brown nuggets. But I like them.

Regular fries if theyre hot and fresh

Properly double-fried hand-cut fries (Belgian style) are a thing of beauty. I will skip the burger for great fries

5 Likes

If I’m at a place where I know they do them well, then deep-fried mushrooms are my favorite burger friend.

By “do them well”, I mean smallish mushrooms, totally encapsulated in the breading such that the heat from the deep fry both gets the breading golden brown and also the moisture heated out of the mushroom stays inside the breading, ready to gush out at you in a little heat tsunami when you bite in.

Added bonus is that they stay hot for a long time, so you can enjoy one now and again as you eat the burger, and still have a few warm ones left at the end. I always feel like I need to rush the French fry eating because I don’t like them cold.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. We vaguely remember a Dairy Queen in another Millennium slinging such a delicacy.

1 Like

When I was about 10 my small-town Dairy Queen finally expanded and converted to a Dairy Queen “Brazier” and began offering burgers, fries, and yes the fried mushrooms. Before that it was cold treats only.

But A&W’s mushrooms were always better. Or maybe it was the combo with their root beer. A friend and I would go rake lawns or whatever and once we’d scraped up a few bucks each, we’d bicycle over to A&W for root beer and mushrooms.

2 Likes

I havent seen fried mushrooms on a menu I didn’t think about them.

The Frog Tavern on the shore of Lake Wawasee in Syracuse, Indiana…best fried mushrooms evar.

2 Likes

Sheesh – you didn’t mention pickle spears and green beans get the treatment:

http://www.sslillypad.com/frog/menu2019.pdf

Can’t say I’ve ever had these. Are they just raw shrooms, battered, fried, and seasoned?

Fried green beans are nice, but the fried battered mushroom sounds very interesting.

2 Likes