What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #2?

Chilled Martini up, two olives. A quarter of their special for Tadich Boudin Bake Sourdough Round and butter.

Perfect. Everything else is gravy, delicious gravy.

2 Likes

Speaking of negronis - I had a mezcal negroni yesterday. Nice change, but I prefer gin. I had the mezcal negroni no 1 as described below.

b

4 Likes
2 Likes

What a great story!

Milam and Greene had a Father’s Day event at the distillery out in Blanco. Wife, daughter, grand daughter and I got there around four. It was hotter than the hinges of Hades. There was a terrific food truck, Gordo’s birria tacos. I sampled a few bourbons and a bit of white lightning. The “Kentucky hug” and great tacos made the weather seem irrelevant. I came home with a bottle of six year old (technically five years and nine months) single barrel at 116 proof.

5 Likes

Toki highball -

Fill highball glass with ice
Add 1.5 oz of whisky - Toki in this case.
Stir 13.5 times
Add 3 oz of sparkling water
Stir 3.5 times
Garnish if desired. Lemon twist in this case.

5 Likes

Delicious, ice cold martinis, 3:1 Bombay White and Dolin dry with a big, pimento stuffed Mezzetta olive.

3 Likes

Margarita with mescal and fresh squeezed clementines

5 Likes

There’s a new Indian and Hakka cocktail bar opening in Toronto. I wonder how it’s going to do. Unfortunately for the owners, it’s opening in one of those unlucky spaces where restaurants rarely survive more than a year.

H’mm maybe a new thread elsewhere but I wonder if “cursed” restaurant real estate is universal? Here in Portland on the main drag-- Congress St-- there’s a spot that turns over enough to qualify but it’s perplexing since there’s successful resto’s on either side of it though not in the same bldgs.

Try it with yuzu juice next time.

Sounds refreshing!

From my new copy of Imbibe, the Last Spritz: combine equal parts green Chartreuse, maraschino liqueur, and lime juice in an ice-filled highball or Collins glass and top with soda water.

2 Likes

We recently started to explore the new trend of freezer door cocktails (with the new book from JM Hirsch). The idea is to batch cocktails and serve them directly cooled down from the freezer. Obviously such an approach requires fine tuning the cocktails that they don’t freeze solid (e.g. larger amounts of juices won’t work and so you have to speed infuse with zest in the alcohol of choice and filtrate etc.)
Our first try was the Ginger Citrus Sensation which combines Vodka, lemon, lime, mint (all three as speed infusion), ginger liqueur, grapefruit bitters and salt. As the dilution of freezer door cocktails is quite different from regular cocktails you often have serve them differently to re-establish some dilution - in this case by using crushed ice.
The flavor of the cocktail turned out to be quite good but it was also quite strong and needed always some longer time for the right dilution (or addition of 1-2 teaspoons of water)

4 Likes

I had a couple of drinks at the Trader Vic’s in Emeryville, CA today. Trader Vic’s is 90 years old, opened in 1934 at its original location in Oakland. It’s been in Emeryville since 1972.

The Mai Tai was invented at Trader Vic’s so I had to try it, this being my first visit here. The classic recipe has lime, orgeat, rock candy syrup, orange Curaçao, and aged rum. It was a good, balanced Mai Tai.

I also had a mocktail - the Puerto Principe - which had pineapple and coconut.

4 Likes

Crab Rangoon? Bongo Bongo soup?

Jungle Bird today. Considering how my week has started (plumbing issues just as my wife leaves the country for 3 weeks), I have a feeling tomorrow’s cocktail will be a Cutty Bang. #IYKYK

• 1 1/2 oz. blackstrap rum
  • 3/4 oz. Campari
  • 1 1/2 oz. pineapple juice
  • 1/2 oz. lime juice
  • 1/2 oz. simple syrup

Shake with ice and strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.

4 Likes

It never gets old: a couple of martinis, 3:1 with Bombay white and Dolin dry and a pimiento stuffed olive. It put me in the right place to make gumbo.

2 Likes

Don’t look at me … I wouldn’t mess with perfection. Or perfect Gumbo.

1 Like

The gumbo is nothing special but still delicious. Chicken thighs and jalapeno cheddar sausage, no seafood (:cry:).

1 Like