What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #1? (2015-2020)

Earl Grey MarTEAni

0.75 oz lemon juice
1 oz simple syrup
1.5 oz Earl Grey tea infused gin
1 egg white

Shake and double strain into a coupe.

This is a recipe by Audrey Saunders of NYC’s Pegu Club that is sometimes referred to as a modern classic. I have a Costco sized bottle of Bombay Sapphire that was sitting around and I used some to make some Earl Grey infused gin. I like it. Expected it to be kind of sweet with the ounce of syrup but the puckery tannins in the Earl Grey infused gin balanced it out nicely.

1 Like

Audrey is the Grand Dame of Cocktails in the US, and World. She has a fantastic palate, and flavor/aroma memory.

1 Like

A “Leeward Negroni” from PCH in SF. Sipsmith VJOP Gin, coconut washed campari, pandan cordial, bitters. Garnished with a pandan leaf. Difficult to see in the photo but the ice cube has “PCH” stamped on it which I thought was kind of neat.

Very nice drink! The taste and aroma of coconut and pandan really complement the sweet and bitter flavors of a Negroni. Gave it kind of a tropical SE Asian touch.

2 Likes

Aviation. I picked up a battle of Creme Yvette and this was the first drink we used it in. Gin, Creme Yvette, Luxardo Maraschino.

1 Like

Had a bunch of drinks at Miracle at PCH in SF. Miracle is a holiday themed pop-up running through the end of the year at a number of bars around the world (mostly in the US), more info here:

Jingle Ball Nog - Cognac, Amontillado Sherry, Peanut Butter, Almond Milk, Pandan, Cream, Nougat Syrup, Egg, Nutmeg

Egg noggy.

Bad Santa - Mulled Red Wine, Tawny Port, Orange Liqueur, Spices, Golden Raisins

Warm and sweet and a little herbal. Cool slightly creepy looking mug. A little too sweet for me.

Yippie Ki Yay Mother F****r! - Barbados Rum, Cachaça, Trinidad Overproof Rum, Purple Yam-Coconut Orgeat, Pineapple

A tiki style drink that takes its name from a quote from that quintessential Christmas movie, Die Hard. Served in another cool slightly disturbing mug with a festive mint and powdered sugar garnish. This was my favorite of the three drinks I’ve tried so far off the Miracle menu. Could taste the yam and a little of the cane sugar grassiness from the cachaça. Balanced and not too sweet.

This looks fun. We’re heading up to SF next week so I think this might get added to the to do list!

1 Like

I’ve tried to get to the three locations in NYC and even though friends own/run the places, and I’ve bartended at one, I couldn’t get in. Crazy lines and crowds. I’m going to try tonight, again. But I’ll probably end up at Suffolk Arms, which has some amazing cocktails.

1 Like

A “Naked and Famous,” from the Death & Co. book, recipe by Joaquín Simó. 3/4 oz each of yellow Chartreuse, Del Maguey Chichicapa mezcal (I used Del Maguey Vida instead because the Chichicapa is quite expensive), lime juice, and Aperol. Shake and strain into a coupe. Citrusy and a little smoky from the mezcal.

A Tommy’s Margarita -

2 oz blanco or reposado tequila - I just used Costco Kirkland brand blanco,
1 oz lime juice,
0.5 oz agave syrup.

Shake, strain, serve up or on the rocks, with or without salt on the rim. Invented by Julio Bermejo of Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant here in SF. Kind of like a tequila daiquiri.

Corpse reviver #2 tonight. Rinse a chilled coupe with absinthe (I used St. George). In a shaker add 3/4 oz each of Cocchi Americano, lemon juice, Cointreau, and gin (I used Bombay Sapphire). Shake and strain into coupe.

1 Like

Ah, the Corpse Reviver No. 2. More a summer cocktail for me, but good enough for all year. So refreshing and very tasty, especially with the Cocchi Americano replacing the Lillet Blanc. I’m not a big fan of Bombay Sapphire in general, although it works in this. I especially like Tuthilltown Half Moon Orchard gin. I also take all the ingredients and increase to 1 oz. each. Otherwise it is a bit light for me.

I also use a small spray bottle to rinse the glass with absinthe. I find it uses less, and layers the inside of the glass better. Then a gentle shake to remove excess.

1 Like

Ok I know it’s just after 12:00 pm but I was put in charge of cocktails for a funeral aka shiva for this afternoon. Barrel aged Manhattans and Old Fashioneds, prepped along with Luxardo cherries and orange zests peels ready to go. Had to try them out to make sure they were up to par :slight_smile: they be good. Some private barrel selections of Old Weller Antique are also pulled for the occasion. Let’s celebrate life

1 Like

I just found a bottle of aged Manhattan from 6-2014 in my booze storage. An extra bottle from when I made some barrel aged Manhattan’s for the grand opening of one of my clients back then. (Harvard Club NYC) It’s really, really, good. A simple recipe of 2.5:1 of Rittenhouse rye 100 and Carpano Antica, plus a goodly dose of Angostura. Tastes completely different than a fresh made one with the same recipe.

2 Likes

How sweet is this ? Looks awesome so if you could break it down it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

20180403_204516

An old prohibition drink called Aviator

3 Likes

It’s Derby day

3 Likes

Derby day here too!

3 Likes

This is one of the best drinks I’ve ever tasted. Desperate to recreate in my home!

Preakness cocktail:

1.5 oz bourbon (used Henry McKenna 10 year)
0.75 oz sweet vermouth (used Carpano Antica Formula)
0.25 oz Bénédictine.
1 dash Angostura bitters (used Bitter Truth Aromatic Bitters instead)

Stir and strain into coupe, garnish with an orange twist. Like a Manhattan, but with a little Bénédictine.

That is beautiful. I love the amber color. Also, thanks for the reminder, I need to find some nice coupe glasses.